has any one ever worked with size 20 thread?

i picked up a ball of size 20 thread tonight at the local walmart in the clearance bin, and thought "what the hey"... and now i am wondering what i was thinking. i'm going to have to drag out the magnifier for this one. my doily should turn out nicely tho, seriously doubt i'll have it done by saturday when i go to a christmas party tho.. they may get an iou for that part of their gift.

has anyone ever worked with anything this small? any pointers?

The first time I ever tried size 20, I felt like you do, and didn't touch it again for years. (and I crochet primarily with thread.) Now I use 20, 30, and even 50, and if I do it too much, size 10 begins to feel like rope.

So...if you want to work with smaller threads, just do it. It will become second nature before you know it. I crochet with 3-strands of sewing thread held together, too, although I can only do that in strong daylight (i.e., not in December).

I also have to agree that you just need to practice with it. It does get easier the more you do it. The smallest thread I have ever used is a size 150. If you think 20 is small. Now that was small. I did get used to working with that before I had the piece done. So hang in there.

I love the look and feel of the finer threads.

I also have to agree that you just need to practice with it. It does get easier the more you do it. The smallest thread I have ever used is a size 150. If you think 20 is small. Now that was small. I did get used to working with that before I had the piece done. So hang in there.

I love the look and feel of the finer threads.

150!!! :eek:waving:help:faintLOL, I don't think I would even attempt that size! I bet your project was pretty though.

Yep, you can do it...just give yourself some time to get used to it. A while back, before I started hanging out here, reading about crochet, and really "thinking" about crochet, I made a doily that I can see is either size 20 or 30. At the time I didn't even think about the size, I just did it. Now I feel initmidated about using thread smaller than size 10, but I have proof that I did it in the recent past!

As far as pointers, all I can say is use good light and do it when you are not rushed. Sometimes the hardest part for me is holding the work so I can get to the stitch I need...again just have to be patient and work with it. Have fun with the thread!

I have been crocheting doilies for many years and I agree that using size 20 thread is just a matter of getting used to it and taking your time. :yes The items turns out more beautiful and after a while, you will prefer to use size 20 over size 10 !! Good luck..

And then, you will try to make something with the no longer teeny, tiny size 30. Your work looks even more delicate and beautiful. After that, it's size 40...

You realize you are on a slippery slope; size 20 feels like rope

You can work with size 20 or smaller (never knew there was a size 150:eek). Just keep working at it and you'll do fine. And if you find you like smaller threads, keep doing that.

I used size 20 for a big project, a cake dish covering (with hanging pearl beads that had a metal loop on the top I could put the hook through--pattern was from a home decorating magazine in the late 80s). I did try size 30 once, but didn't like it either. And I did use a good size 20 thread since I made it for my Grandma. I never used it again. I love size 10 best for thread and even used size 3 for some doilies this Christmas and even doubled size 10 and I'm fine with that too. I just like to try different things (why I did the size 20 and 30). It's fun for me. :crocheting

Debbi

You can work with size 20 or smaller (never knew there was a size 150:eek). Just keep working at it and you'll do fine. And if you find you like smaller threads, keep doing that.

I used size 20 for a big project, a cake dish covering (with hanging pearl beads that had a metal loop on the top I could put the hook through--pattern was from a home decorating magazine in the late 80s). I did try size 30 once, but didn't like it either. And I did use a good size 20 thread since I made it for my Grandma. I never used it again. I love size 10 best for thread and even used size 3 for some doilies this Christmas and even doubled size 10 and I'm fine with that too. I just like to try different things (why I did the size 20 and 30). It's fun for me. :crocheting

Debbi

They don't make size 150 any more. I found ten balls at an antique mall and couldn't resist. The do still make size 100 though. I have used that for some of my Irish crochet pieces.

My favorite size though is size 30. Wish the publishers would agree with me. But they want everything done in size 10 thread. Sometimes I make one for me and one for them. Because I love the look of the finer threads so much better.

Again hang in there. It will be well worth the effort..... :yes

I can see where, from a designer's perpective, it would be a problem, Kathy. You could make a much more detailed pattern for a 12-inch doily using size 30 than using size 10. I have patterns (Japanese ones--they seem to like the finer threads) that come out to 18 inches in size 40 thread. They probably take forever to complete, but it you did it in size 10, you'd have a small table cloth.

Archived