great pattern

RebeccaVelasquez

Oh, that is pretty! I wonder how the sizes translate to today's sizes. 12 is a few sizes too big for me.

I'm not completely sure how the sizes translate, but from looking at some old dresses of my mom's, I think a size 12 can't be any larger than today's size 8. Plus they used to make the waists really small, but I guess women used to wear girdles.:eek

A 12 was about a 6-8 today, and yes, the waists were way smaller! (I've studied costuming, and have discovered that I can't wear anything that is supposed to have the 1930s-1950s silhouette!) Like 3-4 inches smaller on average. So take your favorite, best fitting skirt, and pinch off 3 inches in the waist band - then try to put it on. Girdles are amazing things! :lol

However, that pattern looks pretty adaptable. Since it's worked from the bottom up, you could probably just figure take your waist measurement and figure out when you're going to hit that on the way up and adjust accordingly.

Of course, the bad part of that means you have to measure your waist... :eek

That's one lovely dress! :manyheart I don't know - no, let me correct myself: I DO know I could never wear something like that, lol! But... I'm thinking one could made just the skirt part, I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to modify it and either add some kind of waistband or drawstring tie. I love long, full skirts, in fact it's the only kind I wear.

Regarding sizes, don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but it seems that sizing is morphing again. I always used to buy "regular" size clothes and they fit me right off the rack. Now, "regular" is too long/tall for me. :eek Inseams on pants are now 32" where they used to be 30, and the sleeves are also too long for me. I've slid down into the "petite" range, even though I know I didn't shrink. And many of the styles I liked so much still only come in regular, only occasionally do they offer it in petite. I especially love embellished jeans and they are most often only offered in regular, and of course they can't be shortened without losing lots of the embellishment. That stinks! :bang I wonder who decided we were all getting so much taller they had to change the standards? :think:irk

Archived