Caution To All Crocheters:

Question:

I use AOL Explorer Browser and I have most of my patterns under my favorites bar. Well lately whenever I open my favorites bar it closes the browser and I'm back on my desktop. I have alot of my patterns on Adobe but how can I save these patterns on there or on a disk? I would like to save my patterns that I have on Adobe to a disk as well b/c those are the ones I paid for. Can anyone help me out?

Hi,

I want to thank each and every one of you wonderful crocheters for all the free sites. This is the best group of people that I have ever met or come to know and all I can say is God created crocheters (women, men, boys and girls and young men and women).

Thanks again,

Maggie

That is what I use is the Firefox browser and Yahoo as my home page and that is where all the patterns were deleted from. Firefox sent an email and told me to go to my hard drive and check for the part where the patterns would all be and that part does not even show up on my hard drive at all. I have asked a few people if they have had any problems with bookmarks disappearing and they haven't. I am beginning to wonder if it is just us crocheters that are being attacked.

firefox is an internet browser. It replaces Internet Explorer or whatever system you use to surf the net.

When I find a website with a pattern I want to keep, I right click, then choose 'save pattern as'. A window then comes down with the title (which I often change) and asking where I want to save it. I save in 'Documents' where I have lots of folders names 'Afghans', BAby Stuff, etc. This way, if the website is deleted, I still have the pattern on my hard drive.

With patterns that are in a post, such as here at C'ville, I copy the pattern to Word and save to my hard drive.

Joan

I use Firefox and never thought of backing up my bookmarks only because when it comes to patterns I have found them to be gone or moved. So I try to go through them all about once a month and print them all out or create a Word document and save them (and then send them to hubby to print out at work for me...lol). I do need to start backing everything u p though...start stocking up on flash drives...lol

I download most patterns into word and have a folder just for them. Every so often, I move all those patterns onto a CD. I may have some dupes but I never expect a pattern to "be there" for very long.

One thing that I have noticed is that I cannot keep my Gamehouse link at all. today it disappeared right after I ran my Adaware and removed 2 nasties. Now that was interesting. Hmmmnnn

I was just going to suggest the hard drive. I use Internet Explorer and all of my favorites, in addition to being saved in my favorites toolbar, are also saved in a file on my hard drive. From there, you can copy and paste all of the links and save them in a word document. To find the file on the hard drive, go to "my computer" and select the hard drive, usually called C:, then go to "documents and settings", then go into the file called "my documents" and there should be a file there called "favorites." This is the favorites list from IE. I don't know how to find the hard drive file for any other internet browser, but I hope this info helps someone.

I was just going to suggest the hard drive. I use Internet Explorer and all of my favorites, in addition to being saved in my favorites toolbar, are also saved in a file on my hard drive. From there, you can copy and paste all of the links and save them in a word document. To find the file on the hard drive, go to "my computer" and select the hard drive, usually called C:, then go to "documents and settings", then go into the file called "my documents" and there should be a file there called "favorites." This is the favorites list from IE. I don't know how to find the hard drive file for any other internet browser, but I hope this info helps someone.

Thank you mpmuskie that works on my AOL Explorer Browser as well. Now that I have everything in My Documents, how can I save them to a disk? I have CD-RW disks if that helps.

My dh and I use the same computer and we both have an extensive bookmark. In order to cut down on the mess, I moved all my favorites over to MSN. I started a "spaces" page, made it private, and I have all my sites there. I have different lists, so a list of crochet sites, a list of homeschooling sites, news sites...etc. Not only do I feel it is pretty safe there, but I can access my bookmarks from any computer!

Thank you mpmuskie that works on my AOL Explorer Browser as well. Now that I have everything in My Documents, how can I save them to a disk? I have CD-RW disks if that helps.

Put a CD in you CD-rom drive. go to where your folder is located and click on it once to highlight it. Go to EDIT and click copy (or choose from the side if that is available to you)

A screen should come up asking where you want to copy your file. Choose the CD option.

The computer will make the copy but you then have to tell it to make the copy on the CD when that screen comes up.

Any patterns I want to save, I print them out. I have 5 notebooks full of printed patterns. Whenever I find one I like and might use someday, I print it right then. Yep, I'm an old-fashioned gal, I like things written out.

Thanks so much for the info about storing my bookmarks in google toolbar!! I never thought of doing that. Last month when my computer broke down, I was devastated that I couldn't find my fave sites! Got the puter working again & saved bookmarks to goole!!

Put a CD in you CD-rom drive. go to where your folder is located and click on it once to highlight it. Go to EDIT and click copy (or choose from the side if that is available to you)

A screen should come up asking where you want to copy your file. Choose the CD option.

The computer will make the copy but you then have to tell it to make the copy on the CD when that screen comes up.

Thank you Darski for that Iwill try it out tomorrow.

Thank you so much for all the links to wonderful patterns. I appreciate this more than you could ever image and again thank you so much.

Maggie

[Yquote=2020kitten;1039520]Then there are the knitting, cooking, teaching, and others. Most are cross-referenced. Try crochet + collection & you should get to sites with lots of links, too! 1513 total bookmarks.

Hope it helps!

http://del.icio.us/beautiful_busy_brain

I always go to file / save as, instead of bookmarking. That way it's saved on my computer. Sites come and go, and some places on yahoo or geocities aren't always available because of too much traffic. Much safer that way.

Archived