Beginner book recommondation

Hi everyone,

My SIL used to crochet a long time ago and wants to pick it up again. I live 75 miles away, so I can't just sit down and teach her.

Is there a good book to recommend that will help explain things to her so she can begin crocheting again. This is her "Winter thing" this year. She always tries to learn something over the winter season, when there is more time.

What are really good books to learn from?

:manyheart

Um there is a book called "I can't Believe I'm Crocheting" and another called "I taught myself to crochet" both have pictures and good instructions...

You can do a google search for video tutorials if she learns better by being shown.

And I give out the 63 Pattern Stitches book, the first one, when I'm teaching someone to crochet, the people I've taught seem to like that one, they use the squares to make things like dishcloths and hotpads while they are learning, and it gives them a variety of stitches and squares to master.

Those are all good. I also like "Single Crochet for Beginners" and Donna Kooler's "Encylopedia of Crochet." Actually, the library is an excellent resource--I've gotten so many terrific learn-to-crochet books and great pattern books from there. "Crochet Inspiration" is my new favorite. It doesn't teach the stitches, but it gives specific written instructions AND symbol charts for everything from the most basic SC to much more complicated stitches, with pictures of each stitch detail.

As Jadyn mentioned, there are excellent tutorial videos online, like at NexStitch.com and YouTube.

I like Crochet for Dummies. That's the book that was most helpful for me when I decided to relearn crochet after 20 years. It's very detailed with lots of pictures, and it's very easy to follow. The stitch descriptions are great. And it has a pattern to try for each section so you can make sure you've got the stitches down.

I think Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet would be great. It has a good mix of basic instruction--with illustrations for left and right handed-- and project patterns, with a good stitch dictionary section. There are written instructions and plenty of diagrams too.

The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques by jan Eaton is similar, but slightly smaller in scope.

I'm currently using "Teach yourself visually crocheting". After trying a couple of other books it has definitely been the most help. The pictures are colorful and informative and the instructions are easy enough for someone who has no idea what they're doing. The best part is there is a sheet that tells you all the abbreviations for things like DS (double stitch) and YO (yarn over). That was really helpful to me. If you check the show and tells for accessories you'll see my first scarf that I created and the books I used for that.

Assuming she goes online, try here first:

http://learntocrochet.lionbrand.com/ (this is written with pictures)

http://learntocrochet.lionbrand.com/ (this is actual videos)

http://www.hassdesign.com/StitchLegend/ (also videos)

http://www.crochet.org/lessons/lessonr/lessonr.html (written/illustrated)

Since she had been crocheting before (although it was a long time ago), she may find the Stitch 'n Bit*h Crochet book very good as both a refresher course for the stitches she can't fully remember, as well as, a source of interesting and easy patterns to keep her occupied for the winter -- :-)

I think the book for kids is called "I Can Crochet", it has a picture of a girl (10 YO?) who teaches each stitch by actually making something. Eg. chain stitch shoe laces, single crochet bracelet, etc. Each stitch project makes a bigger item. It has lots of pictures too.

Ellie 13

Archived