Advice on Crochet Gift Set

stillwjo

:scrachin

My sister has seen pics of some of the stuff I've made and wants to learn how to crochet. As luck would have it, I drew her name for our family's Secret Santa thing. I've made her a wooden "K" hook but I want to get her a starter set that has a good variety of hooks, a how-to book and a hook case. My spending limit is around $25. The wooden hook is basically free since it really didn't cost much in supplies (but my elbow's still sore from shaping and sanding).

Wal-Mart has a kit with, I think, 7 small to medium hooks, maybe E-K or something like that plus a real long knitting needle thing with a hook on the end. It also has a stitch markers and one or two other things. It comes with a how-to book. It's $11 or $12. They have a hook case for $7 or $8. That seems like a decent amount of stuff for the money.

Do you think the Wal-Mart "package" would be sufficient or does anyone know of a better set somewhere? I don't know where to start looking.

thanks

I would go to Michaels if you have one nearby and use a 40% off coupon to get a hook set, they have one with e-k for about $12. I would buy a different how to book (I have seen the one in the kit and it isn't good for a beginner really, black and white photos, difficult to follow), or even better throw in a coupon for a free lesson with you. You could also find a bunch of links to online tutorials that would teach her visually. I would also pick out some yarn in her fav colors. For the kids I teach, I usually start with some cotton so they can make a swatch and use it as a face cloth.

I am actually doing the same thing for my sister this year. I made her a messenger bag, I am giving her a set of hooks, the left over yarn so she can make a matching scarf, a pattern for a scarf, and a coupon for lessons with me.

I had planned on showing her the basics over Christmas. She lives in FL and I live in MO so I usually only see her once a year.

So, maybe just buy a set of aluminum hooks, a case and a different book? I think it would be nice to have a book with basic stitches and maybe a collection of more advanced stitches. However, I taught myself via the online tutorials, especially the video ones. I was going to maybe put together a file with links and email it to her after she get's the present.

Do you have any beginners' books in mind that would be better than the one from WM? I'm pretty sure there's a Michaels or two in Springfield but it's an hour away and I don't get down there very often.

thanks

Definitely shy away from the walmart kit. I bought it years ago and the book is not that helpful.

I agree with going to Michael's or ACMoore with the coupon. Also watch their yarn sales.

As for a beginners book...can't tell you the name(s) but my acmoore has a laminated pamphlet and a couple of other nice small books that are extremely helpful (taught a knitting friend how to crochet and she still references the little booklet).

:)

Just a note - the long knitting needle style hook that you mentioned in the kit is a "Tunisian Crochet Hook".

A hook holder with some hooks is a good idea. Don't forget to include some yarn or cotton for her to begin with at Christmas time when she is with you.

Some very simple patterns could be copied from the web and organised into a display folder for her to refer to - maybe some instructions from websites on simple stitches if you can't find the right book.

A simple stitch guide is the best way to go with a simple beginner's book.

The idea of a more complicated stitch directory may be filed away for a present idea for a birthday or such.

Some decent starting book include "I can't believe I'm crocheting" 10-20-30 minutes to crochet (older though) and "Kids can crochet" (I think that's what it;s called. It's really brightly colored. Very step by step...at the lys I used to work at, some people were buying it for "Bigger kids" as in 20 something) I'd take your coupon and flip through them, see what would match you and your sister's style best.

I also like the idea of taking some beginner level patterns from the web and making a little booklet for her, and the list of links to good pattern sites. That would be a great gift in itself, especially for a beginner. and of course, the yarn, hook holder, stitch marker etc...

If you want to go further, after getting your goodies together, go to a TS and find a basket, a $ store for some shrinky wrap stuff, (and the shredded paper) and make a beautiful basket (big stuff in the back,or center, depending on your basket). The shrinky stuff is often in a bag style, so you put the basket right in it. then close it, and heat it with your hair dryer. Add a few bows and ribbons, and you have basket to beat the boutiques!

• 2 weeks later...

I am also purchasing my youngest sister 'crochet goodies' for Christmas. I bought her the Happy Hooker book. They have it at Borders for $15. I also bought her a tote bag which is actually a grocery sack at WalMart for $1!!! It's one of those environmentally 'green' bags, it says "Paper, or Plastic?....Neither" But it is a great sized tote back to haul your WIPS in. To do a neat booklet, print up easier projects like ponchos, blankets, pot holders, and wash cloths, add a page of great websites, like crochetville! Punch holes in the sides and tie with pretty ribbon. Oh, I also have picked up TONS of yarn for her (on sale of course, LOL)

Thanks for the ideas. I tried Hobby Lobby but didn't find much. I got her a "Quick Info" laminated thing. Wal-Mart actually had better prices and selection on hooks and case. I got her some needles, a threader and something else. I also made her a wooden hook. I'm at my spending limit but I'll keep the Hooker book in mind. In fact, just this morning I showed my wife a pattern I printed and it had a picture of the Happy Hooker book on it. Needless to say, she took a double-take because she hadn't heard the phrase in reference to crocheting before. The Stitch-N-Bitch part didn't go over too well either. But, once I explained, she got over it.

thanks

The ideas for a crochet gift set are great!

But a quick note: before you print a pattern for your gift, check the disclaimers at the site. Some of them state that you should NOT print the pattern for someone else, but instead give the URL to that person. I was just at one the other day but I can't remember the name.

Archived