I went to Joann's crafts to get some supplies. I inquired about what I can take on a plane for an upcoming trip. Can't use scissors for cutting yarn.

The lady told me to use dental floss!

She said they won't take my floss at the airport and it cuts yarn beautifully!

Ever hear of this before?

I saw on the news the other day that they're repealing the (in their words) "sharp metal objects" ban, to include scissors and knitting needles among other things. Not sure when it goes into effect though.

I have a clover pendant somewhere from my quilting days... need to find that thing. I love it, convenient and nothing sharp to poke yourself with... and knowing me that's a major advantage!

Can't take nail clippers on the plane. They confiscate them.

As has been discussed before in other threads, it depends on what TSA people are working and what list they keep in their mind and their own decisions about who you are and what you have (no, it's not right, but that is part of how it is).

DH (who travelled for a living up until a few months ago and was constantly in a plane flying somewhere, both ConUS and outside the US) could carry on nail clippers as long as the nail file was removed (because you can use it as a knife). In fact, the first time he had it taken away, they said they could break off the nail file and let him take the nail clippers on. He said okay, and since that point (many, many trips after that) he was never bothered about the nail clippers.

Some TSA security people will let you on with rounded scissors, some won't. Some will let you on with knitting needles, others won't. Even if you have the printout of the "accepted items for carryon" list with you, there's no guarantee that they'll let you carry it on. :)

Archived