Gauge Frustration

I just had to blow off some steam. Does anyone else have MAJOR gauge problems like me? Almost every project I make, I have to go down at least one size in crochet hook, most often two. My last project, I had to go down THREE! This afghan I'm working on requires 49 ounces of yarn, so I bought 54 (6 oz skeins x 9) I figured that was enough if my gauge is a little off. I didn't want to worry about it because it called for a G-hook, and going down to an E-hook using worsted 4-ply usually ends up in split-yarn frustrations that I didn't want to deal with. I've carefully counted my stitches, and have the right amount, but the afghan is a whole 6 INCHES wider than it should be! I'm going to have to buy at least one, if not TWO more skeins of yarn. And I took all the store had in the first place. I really don't want to frog it because it's coming along well and I'm 14 inches into it. I guess I'm just going to have to remember to buy LOTS of extra yarn in the first place. Gauge is so frustrating. :ohdear:yuck

Um, count me in for the same opinion. I seem to have a bit of a problem with it. I'm not really sure why. But go figure really, everyone is different, so the chance of everyone hitting the same gauge as the pattern says is pretty low. I don't know, maybe it is just certain people...lol.

We were discussing this in my weekly crochet class and noted that different manufacturers' hooks vary in size. Bates and Boye J Hooks are different sizes maybe 1/8" difference, though I didn't have a caliper to actually measure. We actually compared them and since most patterns do not reference the hook brand, the guage may vary depending on your preferred hook brand. I forget at the moment which is larger, I think Bates, but am not sure. Although this doesn't help the afghan you already have started, it may help you in the future, try different brands of hooks.

Making things too large? Wow - I wish! My problem is that my gauge always turns out too small...i.e. my 12 inch across doily is about 8....oops! :blush I only wanted it to sit a BUD vase on, not my Waterford vase that the pattern compliments! :lol

I almost never hit gauge and with afghans I always go up a hook size or two just so I can make it bigger. What can I say, I love big afghans :)

With clothes it doesn't matter as much with me either since I'm a larger woman anyway and I'm most often making tops.

:frog

I almost always have to go up 2 hook sizes to get the gauge right with patterns. Even then I usually can only match the stitch gauge--if the row gauge is important I have to fudge things a little to make it come out right. I don't think I've ever gotten both stitch & row gauge right at the same time :lol

I'm right there with you -- I almost always have to use a hook two sizes smaller than what the pattern calls for. Does that mean I crochet loose or tight??? But yeah, I've made some pretty funky looking things (back when I never used to check gauge and thought it didn't matter--which it doesn't if you don't care what size something is!). But you are not alone! And yes, I've also noticed that differeent brands of hooks can change things, so it's a never-ending, um, "adventure" with gauge... :irk

:book Raquel

Hi. I tend to work looser so often I have to go down a hook size or two. But then at other times, my gauge is perfect with the suggested hook. I think it sometimes (for me) has to do with a certain stitch or pattern. I always buy more than what the pattern calls for anyway.

But yes, it is so frustrating!!!

LI Roe

Surely before the age of printed patterns, gauge was non-existant? I mean, a crochet pretty mucy knew how many stitches she/he had to the inch and would plan a project accordingly? Wouldn't that be what the printed gauge would be anyway, the particular looseness or tightness of the tester's/designer's crochet?

I've been crocheting for about 23 years, and I've never paid attention to gauge. But since I would like to start making more wearables, I've started paying more attention to how my work compares to the pattern's measurements. I ususally end up with something smaller than the stated size. The few times I've checked my gauge, I've had to go up 1 or 2 hook sizes.

Sara

Ditto! I completely ignore gauge because between my hook brand, mt crochet style and the yarn, it always comes out different. One of my next goals is to start getting that down though, for making clothing.

I hope you can find more yarn for your afghan!

gauge can be so frustrating, and is so important, if your making something to wear. afghans aren't so bad, but clothes, ah thats another story. i wish you luck, i always tell my students. to keep at it until they find a hook that will give them the gauge. maybe you can do that and it will work. :hug :hug vicki

I too have to say that my projects have a tendency to turn out smaller than intended. I often use bigger hooks so that I can get my project to the right size.

Archived