Project Athena - baby blankets

CrisKad

Hi Everyone!

Last year, I helped my daughter's girl scout leader, Denorah, with a charity group called Project Athena. Its like Project Linus, where we donate blankets to preemies in our local area. The project is named after her granddaughter, who was born preemie. Glad to say that Athena is healthy and doing very well.

Last year, we only had a small number of local volunteers but donated a good amount of blankets. This year we are trying to extend Project Athena to also help a local group that assists teenage mothers who have chosen to give their babies up for adoption, rather than abortion.

Denorah is also hoping to make Project Athena a non-profit organization this year. But in order to do that, we can't do it alone!

I know everyone is very busy, but if you can or are willing to help, please PM me and I will give you my address.

You can send preemie blankets (24x24), newborn sized blankets (36x36), hats, or squares. I'm more than willing to put squares together! 6, 8, or 12 inch squares are wonderful!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give! :manyheart

~Christina

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you so much!!!

I don't have any specifics other than the yarn is not too rough for the babies. I'll PM you my address now.

I got your addy - I was raised in Brooklyn - your zip code tells me maybe you're near Bensonhurst??

I have soft yarn and baby yarn, so I'll work some up in between my other things...might be in fits and starts, but you're on my "squares" list!:hug

...and my mom was Polish....but the name Athena caught my eye, since DH is Greek!

What a small world! Yes, I'm not far from Bensonhurst. I'm in Sunset Park and went to HS in Bensonhurst (Kearney). I love the name Athena too! I'm not Polish, but my DH is! I get alot of funny looks when I tell people my last name because I don't look Polish at all! LOL

Christina - I have some stuff that's already done & looking for a home and I'm sure I could pull a few more out of some skeins!

Just let me know where to send to! :)

There is a list for the 2008 Charity Blitz, taking names, each month has a new charity, this is right up that alley. The one for 2007 is almost finished, but go ahead and put Project Athena in the thread for 2008, and when your month comes around, everyone participating will make and send you what you need.

I love making baby blankets. I will work up a couple and send to you. It might take me a little while, as I have quite a few projects going on right now...Christmas is coming!

I think this is a great thing to do. Thanks for letting us know about it.

There is a list for the 2008 Charity Blitz, taking names, each month has a new charity, this is right up that alley. The one for 2007 is almost finished, but go ahead and put Project Athena in the thread for 2008, and when your month comes around, everyone participating will make and send you what you need.

Thanks so much! I will definitely put Project Athena in there!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived