I Got a Kewpie Doll :P

I am a little embarrassed to be sharing this, but I think they are the cutest little things! Now I'll have to look for some clothes patterns to crochet for it... :hook

Tina

Well here is one: 'Impkins' little artist' outfit. That looks like a Kewpie doll, doesn't it? I'll post here if I find some more.... This one is for a 6.75 (?) inch doll, but you might be able to make it work. This one looks like a Kewpie doll, too... for air fresheners? Another air freshener Indian doll pattern. Another air freshener doll pattern. That one is kinda cute.

Tina

:cheer The Kewpie dolls from my ancient memories had arms which were part of the body and she always had her fiinger in her mouth and a very cute expression on her face. her head was slightly tilted forward.

They were made of Celluloid because the plastic we know today was not invented yet.

I also remember the ones with arms but they dont stand out in my memory.

Very cute.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Hey Tina I do volunteer work in a thrift store and I found a very grubby but loved Kewpy in the dolly graveyard as I call it. I bought her and brought her home. I have had her soaking in soapy bleach the last few days and was cleaning her up before I make her some clothes. Maybe our dollies are cousins?

She has the cutest little face.

I got it at Hobby Lobby. Do you want me to go get one for you? There was a bunch of them.

Sheryl that link takes me to a page about trailers and movies... :think I'll try typing it in. I saw them--they are so cute!! (Something must be wrong with my browser...) I may have a new obsession now. :D

Cupcake, I don't know what it is about them, but I have loved dolls. More I think as an adult than I did when I was little. And I always considered myself a 'tomboy'. :P

oh wow where oh where did you get this doll. I have been looking for them.

I have patterns for American Indians and a couple of others for this doll.:hook

My 17 year old had a small modern version of the cupie doll when he was a baby and it went everywhere with him. It was just the right size for him and he loved it. Unfortunately he was always naked as I didn't have as much time then. Now I want to get one for me.

Can you post a picture of yours, so that I can see what it looks like. If it is here maybe I am missing it somewhere??

Dianne

I didn't post a picture of it here. I haven't taken one yet. But, this is the company that made the one I bought: Crafts Etc. That should take you right to the page with the Kewpie dolls on it. Mine is the one in the middle. I don't know if you could order directly from them, or not. :think If not, I got mine at Hobby Lobby. (Don't know if I said that or not.)

Tina

Oh, I love these! They make me think of my grandma, because she dearly loved them and always talked about the one she used to have. I wish we had a Hobby Lobby near us! It would be fun to have a Kewpie, and to name her Louise. (Can you guess my grandma's name? LOL)

Never knew about patterns for Kewpie clothes -- how adorable is that?

Lene'

Hi Lene! :hi Long time no 'see', eh? ;) I don't know if you saw that link I posted, you could order them directly from the company. I know you'd have to pay shipping, but...

Tina

Oh, I love these! They make me think of my grandma, because she dearly loved them and always talked about the one she used to have. I wish we had a Hobby Lobby near us! It would be fun to have a Kewpie, and to name her Louise. (Can you guess my grandma's name? LOL)

Never knew about patterns for Kewpie clothes -- how adorable is that?

Lene'

HI Tina!

I know, I've been inactive for a while. It's nice to see so many old friends and new faces both when I tiptoe through the forum.

I will have to check out ordering one of the little dolls. They really are sweet, aren't they? They have to be appealing, to have lasted as a design for so long. <g>

Ok, I've goota get off the 'puter and sit down with my yarn! I've got a Babette in the works for my son, and some tea cozies to do for my mom and a friend, and then I need to try to master my newly-found knitting skillz enough to make a Jayne Cobb hat for my hubby. Eeeep!

Lene'

Hya Lene!

Nice to see you from down here as well.

Tina those Kewpies seem incredibly cheap at Joannes. I am wondering what the quality is like.

Well they are $1.99 at Hobby Lobby (the link I gave earlier)... I haven't been to JoAnns in a while, but they are probably the same or similar. I don't have an original Kewpie doll to compare it to, so I wouldn't know about the quality. But it does seem the quality of things has diminished over the years (since I've been alive, anyway... :P ) You said your Kewpie looks just like the one in the link? The arms and legs move on mine, so it's not completely cheap. quality wise, is it? :think

Tina

Hya Lene!

Tina those Kewpies seem incredibly cheap at Joannes. I am wondering what the quality is like.

Hya Lene!

I was just over at Joann's and did not see the kewpie dolls there, of course I may have missed them.

I made the mistake of going over to the web side Tina gave and they have 3 sizes 3" - 5" and 8". I ordered several of the 5. Now I figured I was there, so I would look around. Found several things I liked. The best part was no shipping and no tax. No shipping cause I spent $25.00. The no tax was an added bonus.

Nice site.:hook

Hi cupcake!

Nice to "see" you, too! Off topic, I made a tea cozy with your lovely scallop pattern a couple weeks ago for an old family friend, who loved it, and now I'm to make one for her, one for my mom (and darn it, one for myself) in Christmas colours in time for the holidays, as well as some other gifts I'll be making. That pattern is simply one of the best, thanks so much again for sharing it.

I know what you mean about the quality of the dolls -- I suspect the newer dolls may be lighter, less durable, but they're still awfully cute, and sooo tempting to me. I do know the older ones I've seen were fairly durable.

Lene'

Archived