SOCAL Stash needs?

I don't quite know where to post this - admins, feel free to move it if needed.

In our Crochetville community, there are people who do comfort-ghans & all for people who are going through a difficult time, but I cannot imagine a more difficult time for a crocheter or knitter than the situation so many people in Southern California are in right now.

I'm sure when people were evacuating, salvaging a "stash" would not have been high on the priority list.

But I know from our region's experience with Hurricane Katrina, that when you're spending days on end at a shelter, or at someone else's house, you have time on your hands, and you think so much about how much you've lost and how helpless you feel.

A ball of yarn and a hook can bring a much-needed spark of sanity in that environment.

If anyone knows of a crocheter or knitter that could use a "starter stash", I have some stuff I can put together & send out. Mostly acrylic yarns, and plastic hooks and needles. Not fancy, but it's been my foundation for a number of years. And though it would eventually get used here, I feel guilty having so much when I could share with someone who could use it now.

I don't want to just send generically to the Red Cross or other relief organizations, for reasons of my own. They are excellent organizations at meeting generic needs, but not so great for meeting specialized needs.

If anyone has a suggestion, PM me or e-mail me, please.

It would be nice if there were a company or group who could pass on some stuff if we can send it.

I can afford to give up some yarn - yes it is mostly RH but it is yarn. I could even spare a couple of hooks. oh yeah :yes

Coincidentally, I happen to be off today with a tummy bug (15/26 kids in my daughter's class are out with it....)

I'm checking online & trying to reach a LYS in San Diego once they have time to open. I'll also check with my LYS & see if Joy has a contact in that area. I also have a cousin who is a crafter who recently moved from Fresno, and she may know someone I can contact.

But if any of you have any bright inspiration, PLEASE post it!:manyheart

I don't quite know where to post this - admins, feel free to move it if needed.

In our Crochetville community, there are people who do comfort-ghans & all for people who are going through a difficult time, but I cannot imagine a more difficult time for a crocheter or knitter than the situation so many people in Southern California are in right now.

I'm sure when people were evacuating, salvaging a "stash" would not have been high on the priority list.

But I know from our region's experience with Hurricane Katrina, that when you're spending days on end at a shelter, or at someone else's house, you have time on your hands, and you think so much about how much you've lost and how helpless you feel.

A ball of yarn and a hook can bring a much-needed spark of sanity in that environment.

If anyone knows of a crocheter or knitter that could use a "starter stash", I have some stuff I can put together & send out. Mostly acrylic yarns, and plastic hooks and needles. Not fancy, but it's been my foundation for a number of years. And though it would eventually get used here, I feel guilty having so much when I could share with someone who could use it now.

I don't want to just send generically to the Red Cross or other relief organizations, for reasons of my own. They are excellent organizations at meeting generic needs, but not so great for meeting specialized needs.

If anyone has a suggestion, PM me or e-mail me, please.

Kitten, you, and all the others who have responded, are so sweet and caring, that you brought tears to my eyes...

I am listening to the news on tv (non-stop coverage)........They are asking little children what they brought with them to the shelter. They said, among other things, their favorite stuffed animal, and their favorite blanket. One little girl said her mommy told her that your home is where you are with your family.

I am not too near the fire areas, but it has been so very grey and ugly, and very smokey. I have been having trouble breathing. And of course, we are finding out about relatives and friends. And we are watching the news, and crying to see the people running , and the beautiful houses and cabins burn down to the ground. (yes, in some cases, the cameras have shown the house catching fire, and the camera stays with it until it collapses to rubble.) We are watching rescue people take out animals that the people couldn't get out because they were not home when the evacuations were called for. (and who knows why else, but those little fur babies were so scared, and they would have died if it hadn't been for the rescue people) The shelters have learned from the Katrina disaster, and they have arrangements for the animals.

I don't know how to help with individual people , but I will try to make some calls and see what I can find out. I know the red cross was asking that they be given money ear-marked for this fire, as they don't know how to deal with supplies. Some people have been bringing food to the firefighters, but they haven't been allowed to get close enough to give it to them. Restaurants have been supplying food . They showed on the news some firefighters eating their fill of sushi at a restaurant!

I greatly understand your desire to help individual people, so I will see what I can find out. (who to call?....any suggestions?)

What a wonderful and sweet idea.

love to you all,

Zuzu

Here's what I have so far:

I spoke to the owners of a couple of local yarn stores.

One factor to consder is that people are for the most part leaving the shelters today, so there isn't a central "send to" place.

One lady is in the same quandary we are. It is a wait and see, as people get back to their homes, and see what their needs are. As people go to her, if she can't provide what they need (for example, replacing older crochet magazines), she will direct them to us.

One other shop owner suggested that, as most of the people who have lost things are either well-off financially, or military, they may be able to replace things much easier than the average person. She suggested that we send stash items to a women's prison or domestic abuse shelter. In the case of the prisons, most use the supplies in order to create items for charity. In domestic abuse shelters, frequently there is an "evacuation" situation where the abused partner must leave quickly. She also suggested assisted living centers, especially for the elderly.

I spoke to a local Michael's, and Michael's has already jumped in with a corporate donation.

I'm enclosing a link from Interweave from a couple of years ago, listing at the bottom of the page the prisons which might need supplies.

http://www.interweaveknits.com/community/charities.asp

Everyone I spoke to was gracious and professional. They expressed their appreciation for people who would go out of their way to help strangers, and asked me to pass it along.

So if anyone else learns of anything, please post. I'll still keep my ears open & my mouth running.

Hi Maggie.... good work! One thing though, and I know because of family who evacuated.......... Many , or even most of the people are no more 'well-off' than the average person. Perhaps the Malibu residents, but not most, especially the people living in Lake Arrowhead, and other places.

Good suggestions, though, and a very sweet idea. Also, only some areas are ok'd now for people to return. Battered women's shelters would probably be good places for help.

Zuzu

Archived