Advice on Yarn

I am going to make this sweater, when I order the book, and from what I've heard it was made with alpaca yarn... Well, unforunately, I can't afford alpaca yarn, especially in the large quanities that I know it will take to make that sweater... So, my question is, what a good alternative that I could use that would look great, but not cost more than $30 to make the sweater? I am not exactly sure how many skeins I will need, I am a plus size and I am thinking roughly 8 - 10 skeins of yarn depending on what type of yarn I will use. Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

-Stephanie

Does the pattern say what weight the alpaca used is?

If you can find out if it is say a 3 or a 4 it would be fairly easy to figure out what would be a good substitute.

Also check around online for pricing. I know knitpicks sells very reasonably priced yarns and reasonable shipping.

If it is a 4 I would try patons classic wool which is merino and you get a little over 200yds/skein for around $5 at ACMoore and Michaels and if you catch it on sale you can save even more.

Look on Ebay. There is a vendor, I can't think of the name right off hand, but they sell a fingering weight alpaca for a VERY reasonable price. I bought two batches of a light yellow and paid $14.00 for 10 50gm skeins (there were 10 skeins in a batch). So for under $30, I got twenty 50gm skeins of alpaca. I will try to find a link to the vendor and I'll post it here for you. I THINK it's Peru4less or something like that.

Elle

I think someone started a CaL for this. You might want to sign up there and ask what they are choosing for the project.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62648

Oooh, thanks! Looks good, I will try to join as soon as I can afford the yarn I need for it. :)

-Stephanie

Check out these sources of cone yarns and look for bargains. You may be able to make your sweater for $20 or so.

RM Yarns doesn't always show their full inventory, so email and ask if you don't find something.

http://www.rmyarns.com/

This site also sells by cones. The only alpaca I see is $59.95 per pound and it's baby weight. Cones seem to be about 1.24 pounds, so it would be about $75 for a cones of alpaca. You'd get about 5000 yards, enough I'd say for 2 sweaters (I used to estimate about 1900 yards for a cardigan for myself)

Again, if you look around the site, you may find a good substitute really cheap or email and ask. I once found a cone of meriangora (merino and angora mixed) for $20.

http://www.btyarns.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=222&category=

Hi Stephanie,

Not sure what weight you are looking for:

Bernat has a new Alpaca Chunky Natural Blends yarn - 70%Acrylic/30% Alpaca (nice colors)

RA_Yarnsandmore price $3.90 skein

Bernat also has Haven 59%Acrylic/22% Cotton/16% Alpaca/3% Nylon

Bulky Wt., (pretty pastels plus Black and White)

RA_Yarnsandmore price $3.40 skein

Bernat has a discontinued yarn called Galaxy - 77% Acrylic/8% Poly/7.5% Alpaca/7.5% mohair (Blended colors)

RA_Yarnsandmore price $3.50 skein ($2.90 sk for 15 or more)

Bernat has another discontinued yarn called Frenzy - 37% Nylon/30 Acrylic/12% Poly/10.5 Alpaca/10.5% Mohair (Blended colors)

RA_Yarnsandmore price $3.50 skein ($2.90 sk for 15 or more)

Plus, there are many nice wool blends that aren't Alpaca. Let me know if I can help.

I wonder if ten skeins of yarn from that ebay seller would be enough for a plus size 2X sweater? I don't have the book yet, so I can't look, but when I get the book, I will be able to look at the pattern and see how much yarn I need for a 2X. I know in crocheting sizes are a bit different then when you go to the store and buy something, so I'm not even sure if what I'd make would be considered a 2X like it would in a clothing store.

-Stephanie

Archived