To make a scarf in stockinette that doesn't curl, what should the pattern look like?

boo1

I have a zillion crochet books but no knitting ones. (Not yet, anyway).

I frogged the scarf I was doing because of the curling (and a dropped stitch or two).

Anyway, I need a specific pattern if you can post it or a link to it. I looked at knittingpatterncentral.com but there are just so many. I don't want all garter stitch; I definitely want stockinette.

:think

Help!

thanks in advance,

Laura

I recommend perusing scarf patterns on knittingpatterncentral.com. To keep the stockinette from curling, you'll have to have different stitches that don't curl on the ends of the rows, either garter stitch or moss stitch, something like that.

In any case, here's an easy pattern: cast on whatever number of stitches you like. Knit first few rows (will be garter stitch). Then, knit first four and last four sts of each row. Every other row, purl the sts in between - this will give you the stockinette. The four sts at beginning and end of row will be garter stitch and will prevent the stockinette from curling so much. You can also add a couple of rows of garter stitch all the way across now and then if you want - that would help as well.

:)

Plain stockinette stitch just doesn't make a very nice scarf. It WILL curl because that is the nature of the stitch. One solution (as someone already mentioned) is garter stitch borders. But even so, you will end up with a right side/wrong side to your scarf which isn't desirable.

If you don't like garter stitch, try a seed stitch or even ribbing. These are both reversible and will not curl. If you are adventurous, there are many more reversible stitch patterns as well.

Also, note that if you are working with a very textured or furry yarn, your best bet is going to be garter stitch. The texture of the yarn itself obliterates the actual stitches so the simplest stitch pattern is all you need.

:cheer The other idea is to use the curling to advantage and make a wider piece of knitting and sewing the two edges together using Mattress Stitch.

You will end up with a tubular, very warm scarf which is the same both sides.

Or, why not learn to do Basket Stitch which is started off like a big rib pattern, maybe cast on Multiples of 6 stitches then K3, P3, for 4 rows, then change to P3, K3 for 4 rows.

(Three stitches by four rows should give you squares)

Gives you the best of both worlds, a nice texture and smoother than Garter stitch but double sided as a scarf needs to be.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

You could teach me all sorts of knitting and crocheting tips and I've always wanted to go to New Zealand.

Of course, I guess I better start saving my pennies for a ticket. I'll be able to afford in in a couple of years. Just giving you a heads-up!

:hug:)

:cheer boo1,

You will be most welcome as long as you dont mind sharing the spare room with my Grandies or my Craft Stuff.

You could crochet or knit your way through the yarn to make a space for the bed.

The room the Grandies use has a double bed and we have two camp stretchers which can go on the floor. I think there is room for both, so if you are bringing the family, we will have enough beds.

Come in the summer so we dont need too many blankets, but of course, you could always crochet or knit one if the weather was cold.

We only have one small bathroom and my husband spends a lot of time in thers but I am sure we can get him out for five minutes for you to have a shower once a day or even twice if you need.

We dont have a Dishwasher so you will have to help with the dishes.

You will have to feed yourself because I am a terrible cook but there is are 2 Cafes in the Shopping block on corner of our street and a Chinese Take-away so you wont starve.

The Mall is also only 5 minutes walk away with lots of places to eat.

Our Aircon is just opening the windows, or closing them so you should not feel the heat or cold.

You will have to share your bed with the cat because she loves visitors.

The only time you should not come is this weekend because we are already having 3 Grandies to stay from Friday night to Monday.

After that will be fine.

I will look forward to hearing when you have made your bookings.

Have fun.

Colleen:devil

If you want a thick, warm scarf in stockinette perhaps you could try double knitting. It creates two layered, reversible stockinette that won't curl. You just cast on an even number of stitches, knit one, bring the yarn to the front, slip, put yarn back, knit...

you can use basketweave stich

or a seed stich

if you have acount on the amazon you can buy dvd`s (i can`t belive i`m knitting) (knitting stiches in motion) (knitting in fashion wearables)

they are more than useful

Since curling is stockinette's nature, a good way to make a scarf in stockinette is to knit it in the round completely in a light weight yarn...when done to the desired length, you sew each end of the tube shut and add fringe or tassles and voila...a stockinette scarf that wont curl :)

:cheer boo1,

You will be most welcome as long as you dont mind sharing the spare room with my Grandies or my Craft Stuff.

You could crochet or knit your way through the yarn to make a space for the bed.

The room the Grandies use has a double bed and we have two camp stretchers which can go on the floor. I think there is room for both, so if you are bringing the family, we will have enough beds.

Come in the summer so we dont need too many blankets, but of course, you could always crochet or knit one if the weather was cold.

We only have one small bathroom and my husband spends a lot of time in thers but I am sure we can get him out for five minutes for you to have a shower once a day or even twice if you need.

We dont have a Dishwasher so you will have to help with the dishes.

You will have to feed yourself because I am a terrible cook but there is are 2 Cafes in the Shopping block on corner of our street and a Chinese Take-away so you wont starve.

The Mall is also only 5 minutes walk away with lots of places to eat.

Our Aircon is just opening the windows, or closing them so you should not feel the heat or cold.

You will have to share your bed with the cat because she loves visitors.

The only time you should not come is this weekend because we are already having 3 Grandies to stay from Friday night to Monday.

After that will be fine.

I will look forward to hearing when you have made your bookings.

Have fun.

Colleen:devil

And the cat sleeping in the bed with me-no problem. I love cats. :manyheart

Archived