Do you dig a trench in your finger?

I have gotten all kinds of finger guards to protect my poor finger, but none seem to work. Finally got creative. Cut a length of elastic that is just a little longer than what it takes to go around my finger at the aggrevated spot. Put some glue on each cut end, so it would not ravel. When it dried, I used a small safety pin to make a circle. This way, when my finger swells, I can loosen or tighten the circumference. Finally, I stitched a pony bead on top where the yarn crosses. Sounds simple, but took a lot of trial and error. The error was that I kept losing them, and each time I made a new one, I improved on it. Now, dare I throw away all those 'boughten' things that I cannot use? Seriously, hope some one else can use my idea.

Glenda

I have had this pattern for so long I really don't remember where I got it but it is one of the most used patterns I have!

Crochet Thimble

Size 10 crochet thread, about 25 yards

Size 8 steel hook

Gauge: 8 sc= 1"; 11 sc rows= 1"

Note: Don't join rounds unless stated. Mark first st of each round.

Thimble

Rnd 1: Ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook (6 sc)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around (12)

Rnd3: (Sc in next st, 2 sc in next st) around. (18)

Rnds: 4-26: Or to length best for you; sc in each st around. It's 22 rounds

for me.

Row 27: For first pull tab, sc in first 5 sts leaving last 13 sts unworked,

turn (5)

Row 28-29: Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn. At end of last row, fasten off.

I wear this on my index finger on my left hand since I'm right handed, and make it as long as my finger. I've worn out several of these working with thread. It seem to cut it, better it than my finger! When that happens I just turn it around to a new spot and keep on as long as it's usable then I make another. It tends to get dirty so to wash it I just put it on my finger and wash my hands, scrubbing it well. Then take off to dry. It will take the shape of your finger.

Me too! Trench finger that is! I once had it so bad that the acrylic yarn CUT my finger where the yarn slides over my index finger holding the tension. I had to wear a bandaid for a week to let it heal and still crochet! Now I just alternate how I let it go over my finger after a while of crocheting.

Thank you, KLO, for the pattern to the finger guard. I made it yesterday, and have used it since. Of course, I did not follow the exact pattern (surprise!). I used a simply soft yarn I had handy and kept frogging until I got it to fit the way I want. The tab you used is a stroke of genius. Next time I will use smaller thread, as it would not be quite so bulky, but really love this one.

Glenda

Fibro sucks! I have it too and this fall has been just one big pain. I love and hate fall,I love the cooler weather but my pain seems worse this time of year. I have developed a nice callous on my index finger what helped me when the 'bump' started was Vitamin E oil. It really works well. :)

I'm so sorry you finger is in such pain. I don't have that problem, I must hold my hook different. You are smart to create something to help yourself so you can keep crocheting!! My mother used to put a rubber finger thing on her finger. She bought it at the office store and it is used in the office when you are doing a lot of filing or counting papers. I wonder if that would help? Keep on hooking!! :hook

Archived