Tiniest Micropreemie Hats

Ro

I had a request from a charity to design some really tiny micropreemie hats, to fit babies with heads the size of a golf ball. :( Sad work but I felt strongly about helping if I can...so these three patterns are the result. Thought I would post them for folks who do charity crochet for preemies...I like to put these with tiny blankies for the parents as well, something for them to keep and remember their baby.

I think that the bonnet came out especially well...the boys hat can of course also be made for girls too and can be worn with the brim up or down.

Here's the links:

"I loved you from the first." Preemie bonnet

"Beautiful Boy"

"Beautiful Girl"

Ro, Thank you so much for these patterns. Yes, it is sad but at least we can do something for them. My first preemie clothes are going to Texas Childrens tomorrow. The nurses will let Sally know if I need size adjustments, but I bet they could use some of these anyway.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, from one who has lost a tiny, precious baby. What you are doing will touch the families of these little ones in more ways than can be imagined, for the rest of their lives. Thank you so very much.

Stacey

thanks so much everybody for your kind words of encouragement...it is hard to design them and make them but when i think how i felt when i lost my babies (which were too small even for these hats) i know that it would have meant a lot to me to have something like this to take home in my empty arms. i'm going to make some tiny blankets to go with them as well.

i know that not everyone will be interested in making them or have the heart to do so, but i just wanted to put these here in case anyone needed a pattern in the future.

hugs again and thanks for your kindness and support!

hugs

ro

ps sorry no caps, bad typing day today

• 2 months later...

I was looking through some older threads and came upon this one. You are doing such a wonderful thing!! My husband works at an area hospital and I am going to see if there is something I can make for them. Thank you so much for posting this!

kat

:) I would just like to say thanks. The work your are doing is appreciated more than you know. My daughter was not quite so small but little and sick when she was born and she received a blanket in the NICU from a simular charity. It's so nice to have something that someone worked so hard on when they don't even know your child. Thanks again! Great work.:)

This is such a sweet sweet thing you are doing. You are a very wonderful person to lend you time and heart and prayers to all those wonderful little babies.

I thought it would be good to let you know that, while the odds are deeply against them, some preemies do survive. I can say this from personal experience. I was born nearly 3 months early at 1 pound 15 ounces. I managed to survive and am now quite healthy with no damage to speak of. And this was a little over 17 years ago, so I would imagine that technology is making it easier for preemies to survive.

I figured I would let you know not to give up all hope for all of the babies in NICU, because hope is not lost in all of them.

Again, thank you very much.

Carolyn

Thank you ladies, and wow, Carolyn, what a story! I am so happy to hear that you are a preemie success story!

My brother was barely 4 pounds and very premature, and I was premature as well and under five pounds. It's amazing how the technology has come so far over the years to help babies that make us look like we were heavyweights!

Thank you so much again for telling me about your story...I love hearing preemie stories with happy endings :c9

hugs

Ro

Archived