Martha's Coming Home Poncho Help

Lov2Crochet

Question

Please if anyone has made this pattern, I need help.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-scallopEdgePoncho.html

The instructions for the poncho part says there is only 20 rows. Well I just finished my 20th row and my poncho is about 1/2 the size of what its suppose to be. I used the same yarn that the pattern called for and the same size hook. How in the world can mine be so small?? Did anyone else have this problem?:(

13 answers to this question

Did you put the edging on yet?

I have made over 10 of these for sell on ebay. Your tension could be a problem too. My MIL made one, and she is a tight crocheter. It came out much smaller then mines. If you can, share some pics, so I can get a better look.

:( It really frustrates me that my poncho isn't working like it should. This is a gift for my MIL for Christmas, I got the yarn at JoAnns and I might have bought the last 4 skeins of this color but not sure. I still have 2 skeins left but it will take every bit of both of them to make it the correct length and then I will still need to add the edging. I will have to go to Jo Anns tomorrow to see if they have anymore yarn in the same dye lot.

DSC03394.jpg

DSC03395.jpg

:think To me, it looks like you are a firm crocheter so maybe you could have used a bigger hook to get the size you need.

If you do not want to unravel it, just keep on going until it is big enough and then you will just need to adapt the scalloped edge.

I worked out a simple scallop for this poncho so thought I would add it here.

If it does not fit on your edge, just add another round or take one off and it may fit better,

I cannot find a picture of it so will do it again and post it later.

Scallop for Poncho.

Because I do not know what you will put this on, I will suggest you experiment a bit to work out how many stitches to skip between scallops on the first round. The less you miss, the frillier it will be, the more you skip, the flatter it will be.

I will write it as it is on the piece I did and call it a stitch you are missing rather than a SC or DC.

You could work a row of SC onto the edge and work out how many you need on each half of the poncho to get the scallops to fit.

Round 1:

1 SC into next 3 STS, *skip 2 STS, into next ST work 1DC, 1CH 5 times, 1DC into same place, skip next 2 STS, 1SC into next 7 STS,* Repeat * to * to last 4 sts, 1SC into each of the last 4 STS. Join with a slip stitch. Do not turn. Make sure the scallops are even on the points.

(I did mine on Granny Stitch and each repeat fits over 3 groups of 3DCs)

Round 2:

1 CH, *skip 2 SC, (1DC into top of DC, 2 DC into 1CH space) 5 times, 1 DC into next DC, skip 2 SC, 1 SC into next SC * Repeat *to* to end of the round. Join with a slip stitch.

Hope this helps when you get to the end.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Since I hate working with homespun yarn that may be why my stitches are tighter b/c I have to concentrate more on each stitch but dang I didn't think I crocheted tight enough to make it half the size its suppose to be.

I don't want to rip it all out b/c it took me to long to do what I already have done so I guess I will be making a trip to Jo Anns today to get more yarn.

Aggie- I was going to try using the edging that the pattern calls for and see if it turns out. If not, then I will try yours. I am really dissapointed by all this.:(

I've made this poncho 4 times, and it always turns out the correct size. From the picture of your poncho, it appars that the stitches are very "tight". If you're happy with the look of the fabric, but not happy with the size of the poncho, I'd suggest crocheting more rounds, until it is the length you want the "main" body to be, then add the edging. If you're not happy with the tightness of the fabric, then frog and try a larger hook.

Homespun is not my favorite yarn, for many reasons, but one of its features (or drawbacks) is that it stretches like crazy. I made a sweater coat designed for homespun from the Lionbrand site, it said to make a piece 21" long, but to be sure this is measured after hanging the piece for several hours. Well, I made 21" without hanging, hung it up, and had to rip half of it out to get the 21". Try hanging your poncho and see what happens.

Maybe I'm way off base, but I don't think your poncho looks like it needs to be too awfully much longer. Personally, I like yours better than what that pattern looks like - I think the one in the pattern is too long. Just my opinion.

Hi

I agree with Colleeen - just use your 2 skeins to create the length you need this time - and hopefully if you can get the same yarn use it or if you have enuf of what you have to do "her" edging which sounds a whole lot smaller than the edging that pattern calls for.

If you still want to do the regular called for edging - than see if you can get a color to match contrast that is neutral or you might be able to find it here - I had good luck on this site when I ran out of a certain color my store did not restock and I was in the middle of a shawl that used more than the pattern stated - here you go - and hope this helps!

They carry 29 shades of Homespun, are helpful and FAST on delivery! Hancock Fabrics -

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?category=0&keyword=yarn&x=30&y=12

Yeah, it's definatly too tight. I used all types of worsted weight 4 ply yarn and I know what you are talking about with home spun. I didn't use homespun for any of the ones that I made, and they came out great.

Go up in hook if you can. Try to relax your tension and then you will get the results that you want. They work up very quickly, so I think that you will be done in 2 days. Good Luck. And let us know how you make out.

I agree it looks tighter.

Me and my coworker made this. She crochets tigher then me and hers was smaller, but still pretty big. I crochet lose, very lose, and it ended up really long (I love it long though). Both used the same size hook it called for and yarn.

Debbi

Maybe I'm way off base, but I don't think your poncho looks like it needs to be too awfully much longer. Personally, I like yours better than what that pattern looks like - I think the one in the pattern is too long. Just my opinion.

Archived