do your fingers ever hurt from weaving in ends?

I can't seem to do this for more than 45 minutes at a time. I ended up leaving most of the ends till the end of my tetris afghan and I really don't mind weaving in ends. I just mind it after a bit because my pointer finger on my right hand and my thumb on my left hand (the fingers that are most active in pushing and pulling the needle) hurt so badly. After an hour today, they hurt so bad I almost wanted to just go without dinner because it jsut hurt to touch anything with those digits. Is this a normal thing? (the only projects I've really had to worry about ends before this with weaving in were 10 at the very most.) I just hate to think I'm doing it correctly if it hurts this badly. I wish I just went with knots like I use to before I when I hardly knew anything but the basics and very little at that and just knotted everything.

And actually, even know, just moving the little wheel on the mouse kind of makes the tip of my finger hurt from weaving in ends over 7 hours ago! :sigh

I used to leave my end and weave them in when I was finished, complaining as I did it. Now I weave in as I go, it seems a heck of a lot eaiser and there is no more *****. It doesn't bother my fingers at all. My question is do you use a yarn needle or a hook to weave them through? I use both. :hook

I used to wait until I finsihed a project to weave in the ends but found I always missed a few. Now I weave in as I go. I use a hook, but it is a smaller hook than what I used to crochet the piece with, for some reason that seems much easier.

I used to wait until I finsihed a project to weave in the ends but found I always missed a few. Now I weave in as I go. I use a hook, but it is a smaller hook than what I used to crochet the piece with, for some reason that seems much easier.

The joys of being a beginner is that I get to learn things I never thought about doing! I've always used a tapestry needle to weave in ends. Never even thought about using a smaller hook-and why isn't this mentioned in books? :think This board is so full of knowledge, makes me feel like I have nothing to contribute sometimes! :(

Maybe I am just doing something kind of wrong here. I just don't know what then. And I really don't mind doing it all at the end. I wish I had done it as I went but it's not too bad for me since I don't mind weaving in ends. I just mind it since I apparently do it so hard/intense that my fingers are sore forever afterwards.

I've never used a small hook to do it. I wouldn't even know where to start with that.

I use a yarn needle as well, sometimes I weave as i go but other times I do it all at once it just depends on my mood. lol I used to use a hook, but the needle is way faster and easier imo

Just picking up on the words pushing and pulling the needle, is your project one where you have a lot of friction in doing this part? I expect my hands would be very sore if I tried to do sewing that really involved pushing and pulling for 45 minutes.

I use a plastic needle when I whipstitch blocks together. it has a little ball on the end so it won't split the yarn but goes in between strands. I can't really remember if I have done that for 45 minutes at a time--maybe not as my eyes get tired:tired

Right now I am working on a granny square join as you go afghan. I have 3 colors in each block so I have 6 ends to take care of. I am using a G hook for the blocks and a C hook to pull the ends through the back of the stitches to weave them in. I leave about 3 or 4 inches of yarn to weave in. I do tie small single knots to secure the yarn, then weave in the rest. My tension is not tight on this project and I am using Caron Simply soft, so there is not much friction when I weave.

How long an end do you leave in order to use a needle? Seems like I would need at least 6 or 7 inches to do that.

Most of them are at least 4 inches. All the blocks I made more recently are 6 inches at least.

Maybe it is the friction and having to do more work to get the needle to go through. So far, it seems that I just need to find a slightly less aggravating way to do this. I just don't know how yet. Oh well, the blanket's ends are almost finished so I won't have to worry about these things for a while!

I'm with blondie I use a smaller hook to weave in my ends ..as I go along... for example if I'm using a G - I hook to crochet a project I use my D - E to weave in the ends. I start at a spot where I want my thread to END.. I weave my hook in and out of the stitches (as you would for sewing ) I hook on to the yarn and draw it back through to the end adjusting tension as I go... I usually draw it through one way then reverse direction and draw it through the other way.

It is much easier for me as I have trouble with my hands and sewing is a problem...

Well, thankfully I don't have to worry about it anymore for a bit. Although, my fingers are still killing me from doing it. This time I took my time doing it and wasn't in a marathon session. I will have to try this whole thing with smaller hooks. I really don't mind weaving in ends. I just need to start to remember to do it as I go. :(

Archived