crochet hooks on airplanes?

Does anyone know if you can take crochet hooks on a airplane? I do not fly and don't know what you an and can't take. And i hate airplanes was on one bedore 9/11 and had no problem.I figure if i could crochet i might be more relaxed.It's a 5 hour ride,my lovely husband desided we are going to vegas,i don't want to. Thanks for any help.

Hi,

According to TSA, both crochet hooks and knitting needles are allowed. I've flown across the country and to Canada recently with my aluminum crochet hooks with no problems. I wouldn't bring any hooks you really love though, just in case. The security agents told me when I called that while they are allowed, the TSA agent can make a judgement call to not allow them on the plane. So they can confiscate them. I've never had that happen though and have happily hooked all through the flight! Enjoy Vegas!

Mobgal has it right. I fly just about every week. I take my hooks in a little roll-up case and have never had a problem. I also take a pair of snips that close shut into a round thingy. Never had a problem.

The bigger problem these days is the liquids and gells thing. They're much more paranoid about that than a few crochet hooks. They look like long stripes on the monitor and since they aren't very pointy, don't get much of a second glance. I'm not sure I'd take thread hooks though, as they are small and can be pointy.

BTW, is there any way we can make a sticky of this topic? It seems like lots of people are asking this same question....

When are you going to Vegas?

We're going in the morning, LOL!

I've crocheted on airplanes, too - I carry a circular cutter, though - because they say that scissors must have blunt ends. The tsa site says knitting needles are allowed, too - but it warns that if the officer in charge says you can't have them, then you can't. When the officer makes a judgement call against you, then you should have some way to save your work and mail back anything you want to keep.

Here's the the TSA site:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm

Have fun in Vegas!!

Anything that they confiscate, you will be given the opportunity to mail to yourself. However, that means getting off the line you are on, going to another area to put it in an envelope and mail it. So far we have had a key chain, money clip and nail file confiscated, we let them go. Wonder what they do with all the stuff they take?

If you take a plastic hook they won't take it from you. Flew to Florida and had the hook in view and they said nothing. I also(wasn't aware they were in there) took scissors again they went through the machine and no one took them. I guess it all depends on who is scanning that day. If you really want to take some hooks pack them in your suitcase and again ....no one says anything.

Thank you's to everybody.If i get on the plane i will take some cheap plastic ones with me. The big part is getting on the plane LOL.I hate flying!!!I could almost kill my husband !!!

Hi Dragonfly!

I just asked a similar question the other day in regards to planes and what you can and cannot take...I find that the rules that are written are somewhat different in a few ways from what dh was told on the phone as well as the ladies experiences here - but I think a good rule of thumb that keeps being repeated is not to bring anything we might value if we are told no - like a prize hook or antique scissors~

I am going to bring a clear knitting bag and so they can see it all without a problem. I will use plastic hooks too!

The site link given by others has a long alphabetical list of items with a "yes" and a "no" next to it. That I think I will print and put with my things.

I agree with making a "Sticky" on this site with this info in detail as we aren't the only ones with questions about it.

Also - I have some trepidation about flying - but mine is really just a fear of the unknown, as well as I hate anyone being in charge of the wheel but me!!!:lol :lol :lol

But unfortunately, if we want to go and see things it has become a fact of life in getting there. When do you leave??? I am going to PA on Thurs and then on to see my dd in college.

We will do fine! Just start to crochet as soon as possible and you will be okay, right?!

The last time I flew -- in early June -- I had my hooks and small blunt scissors (less than 4 inches long) in a separate baggie that I put on top of everything else in the plastic bins they provide. The screener mentioned that that was the best way she had seen them come through, and that if I did that every time, I wouldn't ever loose my hooks or scissors. The scissors I had cost less than a buck at the office supply store, and the hooks weren't my most precious ones, but I still would have hated to loose them!

Yup - i know what you mean about hating to lose them - even if they are "cheapies" you would still have to hunt another one down when you get to where you are going and that isn't always possible:(

I am going the "all clear" route too with most all my bags that I can for my purse/tote. The carry on piece will mostly have clothes in it.

One more question I did have though - is what about jewelry on your clothing - like pins on a jacket, earrings, rings etc...do they make you remove them??? I know once in D.C. they made me take off those things and a belt that had a metal buckle and it was a pain. We were all bundled up for the cold weather so had to get under all the layers and remove belt and necklace and rings that I hadn't taken off in years and almost couldn't get off!!!! We were in the Library of Congress building I believe - just to use the bathroom had to go thru all that UGH!!!!:eek

I just won't wear a whole lot of that sort of thing if it's going to hold things up.

Thanks for the advice and help for us "newbie" flyers!

One more question I have about flying and the airport security is what about jewelry on your clothing - like pins on a jacket, earrings, rings etc...do they make you remove them??? I know once in D.C. they made me take off those things and a belt that had a metal buckle and it was a pain. We were all bundled up for the cold weather so had to get under all the layers and remove belt and necklace and rings that I hadn't taken off in years and almost couldn't get off!!!! We were in the Library of Congress building I believe - just to use the bathroom had to go thru all that UGH!!!!:eek

I just won't wear a whole lot of that sort of thing if it's going to hold things up for everyone. That would be terrible!

Thanks for the advice and help for us "newbie" flyers!:flying :flying :flying

I have never had to take off my rings or earrings for airport security. I have before taken off a necklace simply because it was easy to remove and I didn't want it to set the detector off. I do take off my watch when I go through also however.

But, in my experience in flying and at various airports, I haven't ever been made to remove them, being earrings and rings. I suppose it depends on the person in charge of security and how risky things have been lately.

I flew this past week, to Myrtle Beach and back to Ny. They are still making everyone remove their shoes. They made me toss my full size toothpaste (didn't have time to go to store for small, so I took a chance) although my dh was able to fly with his a few months ago. I did not bring crochet though as I knew I'd have little time since I was traveling with my two kids, both under 3. As for pins and jewelry, anything that sets off the metal detector will have to come off and go in the bin. A lot really depends on the airport you're at and the inspector.

....I agree with making a "Sticky" on this site with this info in detail as we aren't the only ones with questions about it....

I asked AmyS (one of our fab Admins) about posting a sticky with the rules and she got back to me very quickly (as usual). She said (I'm paraphrasing here because I accidentally deleted her response - :eek) that she didn't feel comfortable doing that because the rules often change and she didn't want to be responsible for any 'Villers losing anything at check-in. And that makes so much sense because, as we see from the different things happening to folks, it seems to depend on who's checking you in and which airport you're in too - :think! So guys, sounds like the best advice is to :ccompute the TSA site before you fly, print out the rules (just in case), leave anything you do not want to/can not replace at home, and :hook through your trip!

Just to add my two cents worth. I have flown both with knitting needles and crochet hooks. Both have been allowed w/o incident. I also fly with a very small pair of scissors. The only problem I had was in Ontario California. They scanned them a couple of times because of the way they were sitting in my needle case they "looked" suspicious. The only thing that was said to me was in CA and she recommended taking the scissors out and letting them go through NOT in my bag.

Have fun.

Thanks so much for your answers, tips and advice - I am going to let you know how I make out - I am somewhat apprehensive as this is my first flight but I am wanting to enjoy it toooo - so I am trying not to let my mind play tricks with all the negative stuff but that the weather will be good and the clouds be beautiful too to see! By tomorrow nite I will be in Ohio - getting picked up by dd at Pitt Airport first and then just over the line to Ohio! I get to meet her boyfriend for the first time!!!!!!!:manyheart He is a very smart guy and tomorrow is getting sworn into the ROTC on campus - and the whole school will rally round him as they are proud of any and all in the military training.

Archived