A Locker Hook??

While at Wal-Mart today I saw a hook called a locker hook. It has on one end the eye like a huge needle and the other end it has a hook. So it's a crochet hook with a needle and I'm wondering what they are used for or if anyone knows what they are for?

i do locker hooking! i love it. i make pot holders with them. you can make rugs with them too but i've only done pot holders/hotpads. my gramma showed me how to make it. someone came to her "red hat ladies" group and showed everyone how to do it.

you use canvas to make them. i get my canvas at joanns. it's the same type of canvas you would see in a hook rug kit. you make canvas strips out of 100% cotton fabric. and you need yarn too. i use white cotton plain yarn. the yarn is what you thread thru the eye of the hook. it keeps the fabric in place.

it's kinda hard to describe online. but it's really easy to learn. i taught my friend in like 5 min the technique.

it doesn't take that much fabric. one of my pot holders/hotpads takes just under 1 yard of fabric. the finished potholder is about 8" square, i'm guessing here. i don't have one next to me to measure. but you can make them any size you want. i make mostly holiday ones. they make perfect gifts. and the women of my family love them. in fact, their friends ask them where they got them. they like them too.

i figure i have about $2-$4 in materials for each potholder. depending on how much the fabric costs. the canvas is about $7 a yard, if my memory serves me correctly. and you can get a ton of potholders out of one yard of canvas.

hope that helps.

I'm making couch pillows with this technique and Homespun because it's so fluffy. I found the pillow forms at JoAnn, but have since seen them in the clearance section. They have the canvas/mesh on one side and fabric panels on the other that overlap so you can stuff the pillow insert inside. If you get the right size mesh, you can use the precut fabric strips that are now on clearance at WalMart. I learned with fabric strips but I didn't like the frayed threads showing.

Archived