Fur baby crochet along?

Notcheap13

I was thinking we could start a fur baby crochet along. Winter is coming and they will want to stay warm

Whether it is blankets,

clothes, bed etc.

Let me know what you all think about this

I have never done one before and we just got a really cute soft kitten. She will need blankets bedding etc.

M

I made a cotton blanket for SarahJane, my mini schnauzer pup when I was waiting to get her, it can actually be a towel or a blanket for her but right now it's in her crate. I want to make her some sweaters for winter, cause she's going to get cold when the snow flies.

I came up with a technique for making coats that would likely work for your ferrets. You start with a crochet ribbing collar that fits the neck of your furbaby and then, after a few rows, you work just a back portion with a strap. I'll see if I can find the post that has the info.

All my vict...um... furbaby recipients liked the fact that their legs were not confined.

I found the post where I gave the instructions: Corrected I hope

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=589274&postcount=83

if you would like a quick review of Last Year's Cal with lots of links, you can read it here... :dog

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40619&highlight=duds

I am so happy we are doing this CAL. I find it really helps me to focus... :ty

When I click on the first link, it takes me to Report Post. I don't think that's where you wanted to take us.

When I click on the first link, it takes me to Report Post. I don't think that's where you wanted to take us.

Oops sorry. I'll try again.

My brain has decided to go on vacation again and just left me behind (as usual) I couldn't even get a game site to work today... :sigh

I'll be back!

hmmm kitty has been giving me pitiful looks while I crochet ghans for everyone else, guess it's time to make her a new one, I'm sure her old one needs to be washed anyway this would take the special place in the corner then, so guess I'm signing up, now to find the yarn.

OK here we go. I have not done much as far as crochet alongs. SO someone is going to have to help me along here. However, I have SO many gifts to make for friends pets. Three new kitties, one new dog. Plus several friends that have dogs that will need new clothes.

SO my first project is a snuggly for my daughters little kitten. SHe is 4 weeks old and long story short DO NOT USE flea shampoo on them. The store told us to use it and it would be safe . SHe almost died 24 hours after we got her. SO she needs a soft snuggly blanket to sleep on when she is in her bed.

I have started one with about 34 chain and hdc all the way across with baby cloud. The base of the blanket is all white and the large ruffle which I have to start tonight is out of pink cloud.

I will figure out how to post a photo when I get that part done.

M

I've been trying my hand at making things for my ferret, Sugar, not many patterns out there, but now that Sugar has a new baby 'sister', Princess Wendy NeKi, I need to make more. I'm all for this crochet along!

OH OH OH how about the really neat hanging things......I want to make one for Mia Bella (new kitty)

Lets find a couple of links.....

M

I love this idea. Making kitty beds for my 4 is on my to do list here at home. I am 3/4 finished with my current baby blanket, and have a Preemie blanket 1/2 done. They'll be finished by the end of the week or maybe sooner. I can start something new after that, so count me in.

I would like it if this was an on-going CAL. That way, by the time we are done making for our own pets, we'll have a lot of problems ironed out about sizing and such, and will be ready to make items for animal shelters. There is a shelter here, not a mile away from me.

White though. I don't know about using white, yellow or anything that light colored. Let us know how that works out in terms of staying clean. My cats are pretty clean but I'm laughing imagining them on white. I was going to use some darker colors, and maybe do stripes. H-m-m-m. When people wonder why I have large rolls of masking tape all over the apartment, I know they've never had cats.

Real Deal

OK I have one of several fur baby blankets done. NOW this is NOT a hard one. Crochet chains to the length you want and hdc back and forth till you have the size you want.

Little bella LOVE it so much I am making one for her kitten gym.

HIGHRISE Condo Scratcher playhouse http://tinyurl.com/282kjb

I will be making these for the shelter, now to find cloud on sale. ... ..

M

OK I have a great idea!!!! I am going to make a pillow sort of with this pattern. ..

Close the edges and lightly stuff with batting .. I think she will love it!

I have been meaning to try some simple blankets for my cat shelter. I make them things for fundraising and sometimes toys for the cats waiting for homes but I thought blankets that they can use or sell woudl be good. I want to do them as gaint grannies do you think this would work? :think and what kind of size should I make a cat blanket I was thinking 24 inches or so but is that too big/small? This will be a good CAL ...and even better if it gets me to try and perfect my kitty blankets! :clap

:manyheartAs you can tell from my sig, this is an ongoing project for me. I've also made about a gazillion toys, using a curlicue technique I learned from shaelynnsmom.

Her link is here:

http://www.christinascrochethaven.com/pets_index.htm

I discovered that I only need to make the starting chain 75 - 100 long, in order to have it short enough to go in the cages at the shelter.

They take only a few minutes to do, and the one I did for my new kitten, out of sport weight & Zing, literally only took about 4 minutes.

Here's the technique I use to make the snuggles twice as thick, while making the most of your yarn.

Use 2 strands held together (2 WW, or 1 sport weight + 1 heavier weight, or whatever has a good "hand" to you) & use a "K", "L" or "N" hook as appropriate.

Make enough chains to get the width you want.

Row 1: SC in 2nd chain from hook & in each chain across. Chain 2; turn.

Row 2: Hdc in 1st sc; (?cluster?) in 2nd sc as follows: yo, pull up loop, yo, pull up loop through same stitch; yo, pull through all 5 loops on hook. [Hdc. Cluster.] Repeat [ ] to end of row, ending with hdc in last sc; if there are 2 sc at end of row, put hdc in each of them. Ch 2; turn. (I have it on good knowledge that cats can't count, and could care less as long as the snuggle is soft.)

Row 3: Repeat Row 2, except, put cluster stitch in top of hdc below, and hdc in top of each cluster stitch below. Chain 2; turn.

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until snuggle is desired length.

Sc around, with 3 sc in each corner.

Finish off.

I hope that makes sense. I just know that when I made it up "on the fly", it was really thick and cushy.

I'll try to post pics, if needed. Basically, I think any puffy stitch would work where I did my cluster, except maybe a bobble with stiff thread.

And I hope I'm calling the stitch the right thing.

Also, I have never knowingly disrespected any designer or pattern creator. But after trying to describe my technique in writing, I have a newfound respect I didn't know I didn't have!:nworthy

Good project, folks.

Kitty-hugs,

I think the hdc is a good idea because it is a little puffier st. I think we need to make sure the sts we use are fairly tight too. I plan to do sc with double strands of ww.

I wouldn't do granny squares. I know my cats would be catching their nails and putting their feet through the holes in granny squares. My youngest one would probably be trying to shove toys through the holes.

The fuzzy, furry, hairy yarns might seem like a purr-r-r-r-r-fect idea, but those rascals do lick and suck on stuff like that. I had to get rid of my chenille bedspread because of a cat who did that. He'd lick and lick at a piece until he could get it loose, then he'd eat it. Yuk!

Now I use colored sheets as bedspreads because they are smooth. They are also easy to get the cat hair off with a hand held lint remover, then I pop them in the washer.

Real Deal

So, is anyone making any headway here with fur baby beds, blankets or clothes? I'm just about to start with my first kitty bed. I think I said prior to this that I planned to use double ww strands.

Well, I seem to not be over my rainbow phase from the summer, so I'm thinking I might do the top few side rows in the rainbow colors. Ha, ha!

Real Deal

I recently finished a mat/rug for the corner of the couch where Zoey (grey tabby cat) sits and looks out the window in Red Heart Aran crocheting in the back loop only. Have a sweater started for my daughter's boxer in one of the brown/black camo combos (she is a brindle in color) as they do a lot of hiking and snow shoeing in the winter and take her along. She has a rain coat but needs a good heavy sweater. Her very angled torso has been a bit of a shaping challenge when she lives 50 miles from me -- project on hold until I can do another fitting.

In Misc Show & Tell, oldbaglady started a thread to show a ferret snuggle she made. Her ferret and the snuggle are adorable. A number of people said they wanted to make the snuggle for their ferrets, so I left a post and told them about this CAL if anyone wished to join us.

Real Deal

Archived