Baby Afghans for Children's Hospital UPDATE POST 51

badrhinogillett

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your very welcome, i was in such a hurry packing boxes i didn't now if i was coming or going, i took like 15 boxes to the po :eek :eek :eek:clap the long one is done with a double post front and back post stitch, no pattern sorry:hug :hug

Hi Kathryn,

I'm glad they arrived safely. Thanks for sharing a photo that was nice. I hope you get all the blankets you need for the deadline if you end up needing more near the cut off date, then send me a PM as I usually have a baby blanket or two on the go and could rush you another package! :0)

• 2 weeks later...
I've been gone for a while now. My last post was about the birth of my DS, who had health problems when he was born. (//http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41390&highlight=Nathan) Wonderous news, he's almost completely healed!! I'm finally ready to get back to crocheting.

As a show of gratitude to the NICU where he was treated, Oakland Children's Hospital, I want to start making some baby afghans to donate. My son was in the hospital over Thanksgiving, and it's hard to have a child there at any time, but the holidays seemed especially hard. I was hoping to have some together in time for the holidays so that as many of the kids as possible in the NICU can have a new blanket for the holiday season.

I know there is no way that I can crochet 40+ afghans so that each NICU child will have one. If anyone would like to help me, I would be so grateful. Speaking from experience, I know that the parents of hospitalized children would be grateful for any show of kindness.

If anyone would like to help me, let me know and I'll give you the address to send them to. I'll send all the afghans at one time. If you would like to include a tag with your name on it, that would be great too.

If you'd like to know more about the hospital, you can find out all about it here:

http://www.childrenshospitaloakland.org/

Thanks so much!

I JUST JOINED TODAY AND READ YOUR REQUEST FOR BABY BLANKETS. WHAT STITCH DO YOU USE FOR THE BLANKET? I AM NEW TO CROCHETING BUT I DO KNOW THE BASIC STITCHES. LET ME KNOW I WOULD LOVE TO HELP

Thank you for your help!

The afghans I've gotten so far, and the ones I've made have all been different. I've done a rectangular granny square... I've done a few v-stitch afghans from Lion Brand (found the pattern on Crochet Pattern Central). I'm currently doing a sideways shell afghan (found the pattern on Project Linus website). Any and all blankets are welcome! Thank you!

Hi Kathryn,

I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for children...and parents. I can't PROMISE anything (I have 2 of my own, have school full time and work part time) but I'm sure I can at least bust out a preemie blanket or too...I'll definitely try! Pm me your addy and I'll try ta get at least one to you, bless your heart.

Yesterday, I got this package from TracyLeigh. It's got 8 baby beenie and washcloth sets, plus, a fleece blanket with crocheted eding and a crocheted afghan as well. Isn't it wonderful?

100_2909.jpg

Great job Tracy! What pattern did you use for the pink blanket?

Thanks. I've sent you a pm. I appreciate the help.

I've gotten 15 afghans sent to me so far, plus some caps and washcloths. I'm on my 9th afghan. I am taking the afghans to the hospital on December 8th, so I'm hopig to have anohter 6 or 8 made.

Getting more sent is a huge help, as the NICU has either 40 or 60 beds. I can't remember... how grateful I am that we are so many months past the NICU that I can't remember!:)

Wow! That is gorgeous! How many rounds did you use? I love Round Ripples! They're just so much fun!

Victoria

Thank you - I'm glad you liked the color scheme. It was 5 rounds of white, 1 blue, 5 white, 2 blue, 5 white, 3 blue, 5 white and ended with 4 blue.

I'm glad it will go to someone who can use it. :manyheart

Kathryn,

I, too, am just over the hill in Pleasanton! I'd be thrilled to help you with the preemie blankets, and would love to add hats. Currently I am making chemo hats for cancer patients (I'm always looking for new oncologists/chemo centers who would like donations if you know of any!), but would be happy to spread my time a little for these little wonders. :o)

Thank you for the opportunity to give!

Bless you,

Debbie

• 1 month later...

I've been horrid about posting my recent afghan windfall. My son's birthday, combined with Thanksgiving, an Aunt's 80th birthday surprise, and now the holidays have kept me from the computer.

In the last few weeks, I've gotten a package from Segi with 5 beautiful afghans! Today, I got an amazing box filled with 10 afghan sets (some have booties, some have hats) and one burial gown.

I spoke to the hospital today to let them know I"d be there on Saturday. I told them these were for the babies on Christmas. I was told that Santa visits the children on Christmas day and passes out presents, and now they hope to add the NICU to his stop so he can personall deliver the bounty you've provided.

Thank you everyone!

My contact at the hospital said she would send me a letter when they have been passed out and tell me how it went. I'll be sure to update you all then.

Please forgive me for not posting about my package earlier, Segi. It isn't that I didn't appreciate your thoughtfulness... I certainly do.

Vicki,

You are absolutely right. I am representing you all! I've already written the letter that I will deliver with the afghans, and I told the hospital all about you wonderful people and all of us on Crochetville.

I am grateful to all of you!

I just organized my boxes for the NICU delivery for tomorrow. Because of you wonderful wonderful people, I'm going to be dropping off:

45 afghans :cheer

24 hats :cheer

6 washcloths:cheer

1 burial gown :hug

My mother has been knitting items for the older children, and I will also be bringing for them:

2 pair of slippers :cheer

3 pair of mittens :cheer

1 poncho :cheer

4 hats :cheer

9 scarves :cheer

Thank you everyone for what you have done for these babies. The families will never forget your kindness, nor will I. The parents will have a difficult day knowing their baby is ill, but having someone wrap them in love, just like you have done, will warm their hearts. Thank you.

And, because I'm just that cheeky... I'm starting my next box, I figure I'm just going to start now. If I have a big enough box, I'll deliver it in the summer, if not, I'll wait till next Christmas. If, at any time, you have a baby afghan you've made that is looking for a charity to go to, I'm thrilled to take it!

Archived