Baby Afghans for Children's Hospital UPDATE POST 51

badrhinogillett

I've been gone for a while now. My last post was about the birth of my DS, who had health problems when he was born. (//http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41390&highlight=Nathan) Wonderous news, he's almost completely healed!! I'm finally ready to get back to crocheting.

As a show of gratitude to the NICU where he was treated, Oakland Children's Hospital, I want to start making some baby afghans to donate. My son was in the hospital over Thanksgiving, and it's hard to have a child there at any time, but the holidays seemed especially hard. I was hoping to have some together in time for the holidays so that as many of the kids as possible in the NICU can have a new blanket for the holiday season.

I know there is no way that I can crochet 40+ afghans so that each NICU child will have one. If anyone would like to help me, I would be so grateful. Speaking from experience, I know that the parents of hospitalized children would be grateful for any show of kindness.

If anyone would like to help me, let me know and I'll give you the address to send them to. I'll send all the afghans at one time. If you would like to include a tag with your name on it, that would be great too.

If you'd like to know more about the hospital, you can find out all about it here:

http://www.childrenshospitaloakland.org/

Thanks so much!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other thought. If you are able to help, and you come from a house where someone smokes, please make sure to wash the item immediately before sending. Some of the babies have severe respiratory issues.

Also, the facility treats preemies of the smallest kind, so preemie blankets would be great also.

I know everyone is busy, and I know I'm asking alot. If you are able to help, I'd really appreciate it. If not, I completely understand that we all have holiday crocheting to get done ( or started for some of us:hook )

Thanks again.:)

How wonderful of you. Thank you thank you thank you!!!:clap

I just looked at a few patterns for baby afghans... some say 24 inches wide, some say 26, I have a blanket at home that's 28.... a crib mattress is about 28 inches wide, so smaller than that is certainly appropriate.

To be honest, I"ve never made a preemie blanket. But, from seeing those precious angels in the hospital, I can tell you that they are smaller than you can imagine. So, something half the size of a regular sized baby blanket would give more than generous coverage. They are very small babies.

Has anyone else made preemie blankets?

Again, thank you so much for your help!

Thank you so much to those of you who are able to help! What a wonderful thing, especially as I know that this is a busy time with Christmas Crochet to be done.

I've gotten a few PM's about size. Truly, any baby size is wonderful and appreciated. The baby will grow into any size afghan. The parents of these babies will be so touched to know that people are thinking of them.

Knowing my son was cared for while he was there is what made me able to face another day... by sending your afghans, you are helping another family get through a difficult time. Thank you so much.

Kathryn, I emailed you already and I wanted to let you know that I will send the afghan out to you some time this coming week. I will try to send another one to you shortly between making my next present This is the first time I am sending a blanket out so if there is anything I should be doing you said something about putting a card with the blanket. What kind of card and does that go with the blanket? Thanks

Kathryn, I emailed you already and I wanted to let you know that I will send the afghan out to you some time this coming week. I will try to send another one to you shortly between making my next present This is the first time I am sending a blanket out so if there is anything I should be doing you said something about putting a card with the blanket. What kind of card and does that go with the blanket? Thanks

I'm happy to help out, we're just over the hill in Pleasanton-let me know when you're planing to send them, I'll probably drop off or mail them myself to save on postage but I'll label them from your group. If you pm me your info I can add it on the bag or box I deliver.Blessing and continued good health!

Segi, All I meant by putting a card or something on with your name, is so that when I get it I will know who it is from and be able to let you know it arrived and thank you for it.

Yelutci, that's great that you live so close! You dont' need to put anything with my name on it...I'm no group (except with the help of all the wonderful people here) but, if you want to put anything... just wish them happy holidays or good health. I'll be driving them down the first or second week in December. The only thing I'll be putting on the ones I make is "Happy Holidays from a former NICU Mom" -- my name is unimportant. It's important that the parents of the babies who will be there will know that you come out the other side.

Thank you so much to everyone. I almost didn't post this request, as I have been gone for a while and thought it was a bit "cheeky" to do so as my first post in so many months.. but I knew that the generous people here would come through for me and those babies!

I have a suggestion for your project.

Have you seen the patterns for baby blankets that just crochet an edging around a premade flannel baby blanket, or receiving blanket?

I think those would work up really fast. It would just offer an alternate type of baby blanket.

I saw the pattern at Hobby Lobby.

I haven't seen those.. I've been out of the crochet mode since the birth of my son. They sound great.

I'm currently doing the Bubbles Baby Blanket from Crochet Pattern Central. Pattern says it works up in 3 hours and takes 2 7 ounce skeins. I used skeins from my stash, the only two of that color, and it wasn't big enough... I have 2 that are close, and I think will be fine... a bit disappointed though. It's taken longer than 3 hours, but that's because I have 2 kids and a husband and dont' start crocheting till I'm ready to drop! :) I really like the pattern though.

Need to find other quick patterns so I can get through as many as possible.

I have quite a few Edgerydoo receiving blankets already made. Some of them I have made matching facecloths, hats and socks. Please pm me your mailing address and I will get what I have made into the mail for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kathryn,

Just to let you know I posted a package with 2 blankets to you yesterday! :hook You will need to allow at least 7-10 days for them to arrive from the UK. The blankets you have received already are soooo pretty!:)

Archived