Lurex

mc_crochets

Ok ok, the lurex bug is biting (and I found a little bit of cash i thought was spent :devil hehe) and I've got a few questions about it.

1. I know you hold it with the yarn of the project you are working on, but does it have to be a thread project or does it play well with all yarns.

and

2. It shows up as sparkly flecks...sort of like glitter? or is it less obtrusive than that??

as usual these questions have probally already been answered somewhere before, but I'm asking again :blush but you guys love it so much i know you'll want to share it with me right??? :lol

1. I know you hold it with the yarn of the project you are working on, but does it have to be a thread project or does it play well with all yarns.

I prefer it with thread right now, but it most certainly can be used with yarn. We've all used the Christmas yarns with the silver or gold tinsel wrapped around the yarn, and this is just like it. I like winding it on the ball winder to work with but that isn't a requirement, but keep in mind it's got the weight and thickness of that same tinsel you'd put on your Christmas tree so working with it straight off the cone can be kind of messy. It floats everywhere if you aren't careful. It isn't impossible, but it wouldn't be my personal first choice.

2. It shows up as sparkly flecks...sort of like glitter? or is it less obtrusive than that??

I think it depends on the color of yarn or thread you are using along with the color of the lurex. The silver and gold will look glittery if you take a step or two back from the project, but if you were using purple thread or yarn with the purple lurex, you'd see purple sparkles that are nearly impossible to idenitify as an independent strand. The red lurex/red thread bookmark I just made shows no sign of a red strand of lurex, but it just sparkles like it was on fire. In person it shows red sparkles but with the flash it looked white.

th_norway.jpg

hi, i have used the different colors of urex, actually have 6 colors now. i used the clear with some yummmy acrylic mohair for my nieces senior ball wrap. turned out beautiful!!! i love that stuff. you can use it with thread or with yarn. i have used it with the yarn and also made a couple of doilys with it and some thread. you will love it. hehehe vicki:hug

i am soooooooooo wanting some of the pretty colored lurex threads, does melanie have them all the time or is it a special one time only thing? I won't have ANY :( yarn money probably for the next 2 months, because of moving.

well I think I'm gonna go ahead and get some with the credit card but I don't see any more of the red!!!!:angry I had some sport weight yarn I wanted to put it with for a shawl. I'm gonna get some blue but I'll be looking for some red as soon as it gets more in.

Rebecca, email her and ask about the red. I'm not sure how many she ordered, but when I got it she didn't have it listed on eBay. I had to ask her about it. :P In truth, I begged like crazy, but I'm sure if she has some she'll be happy to sell it to you.

okay i emailed her, hopefully I'll hear back from her about the red soon. I got the blue and the irredescent and some chenille and some pretty rickrack style yarn. Ooooh I can't wait!!!!:clap hehehe, next in my sights is some black and that beautiful purple Julie has on her blog!!! :manyheart

In truth, I begged like crazy, but I'm sure if she has some she'll be happy to sell it to you.

I begged too... "sooooo, do you have the red yet?"

:rofl

next in my sights is some black and that beautiful purple Julie has on her blog!!! :manyheart

The purple is beautiful, it looks really nice wound with purple (of course) and blue thread. I think you'll be really happy with it. The red, of course, is to die for.

I want to see the black when you get it though, I'm tempted by it but haven't decided for sure yet. I think it would look good against the darker threads. :manyheart

I'm getting the red!!! She listed one for me!!! Yeah!!!:clap

:woo

The red is so gorgeous! :manyheart I keep petting mine, I haven't even used it yet!

Yay!

i am still waiting for my red and blue but didn't get those from melanie, i did get the clear, the black and the gold, and also the grape. is beautiful i keep petting it too.:D :D .vicki

• 2 weeks later...

What yarn are you using it with?? With thread I actually had an easier time keeping the lurex on the cone and holding it taut with the thread coming from the ball as opposed to winding them together. When wound together, I actually try to keep tension on both but I seem to have more instances where I pull the lurex too tightly against the hook and can't get it to pull off the hook.

What specifically are you having problems with?

i'm using it with a sportweight acrylic double stranded and it's just all over the place!! I held it taught while winding the ball but now it seems like there's more of the lurex than the yarn in the ball.

That happens to me sometimes too. Getting the tension right when winding it is mostly luck (at least for me). I would cut the lurex where you've got too much, pull it out and trim it up as it should be so you can work with it. I have to do that every so often with the thread I've wound with it too. You can use a regular thread needle to bury the lurex ends in the yarn really easily. It might seem like extra work but it's worth it in the end. :hug I decided I wouldn't worry so much about wasting it, there is tons and tons of it on the cone and it would be quite a while before you notice you've used any at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Lurex queens!!

If you were buying this chenille http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8153398324&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

for a dressy shawl, what lurex color do you think would work best? I think I'd like a subtle sparkle rather than a "Hey! Different thread here!!!!" look :D

And, I know some of you have issues winding strands together on a ball winder, but how do you think it would work if I actually plied it on my wheel? Has anyone tried that???

I need to order today, so she can ship tomorrow, so it will arrive on Thursday when I'm home from work rather than another day when hubby would see the box sitting on the steps Only kidding, he's quite tolerant, but hey, why ruffle feathers.....:devil

Holly

I agree with VIcki -- the black. Or possibly, the clear or iridescent. I really love the iridescent and you can't see it much on any colors.

First, another plug for the *awesome* Ebay seller Melanie aka Fiber Options

I placed my order very late Monday night, she emailed me first thing Tuesday morning with my total, and my fabulous stuff was in my hands Thursday. :c9

I bought the Ironstone chenille, a cone of black metallic lurex and a cone of iradescent sildorex metalix lurex. In the interest of science :sher I swatched with both (aren't you proud of me Donna????)

th_chenillelurexswatch.jpg

They both look good, but for the shawl I'm going to do, I prefer the black. I wanted a very subltle sparkle, and the black blends in better with the yarn. With such a dark yarn, the iradescent stands out too much on it's own, IMHO.

Now, if you were going for a very glitzy look, the iradescent would be perfect. The black you almost don't see, it's just a little glint here & there when the fabric moves.

It all depends on the yarn you are using with the lurex. I did another little project (can't show you...it's a surprise :lol) that was multicolored in bright blues, reds, greens and the iredescent blends better with that.

I will say, one cone will clearly last a long long time. For my little swatches, I had no problem leaving both the lurex and the chenille on the cone. I can also see where working with it for a long time could be a little tricky. I'm thinking of putting the lurex cone in a soda bottle to help keep it from unwinding at will.

Last but not least, the chenille is so yummy! The colors makes it look like you are crocheting with suede. She's got 4 more cones left....:devil

Holly

Thanks alot Holly :blush You just had to show this yarn! I ordered lurex in black, red and copper earlier this week and I am still waiting for that to arrive now, You and only you made me go and look and buy more yarn :devil Oh well, at least I didn't join the stash buster for May.

Michelle

Archived