Paton's Classic Merino -- any experience?

bjsmamajoy

I just picked up some gorgeous taupe Paton's Classic Merino wool to make a felted bag. I am so excited.

I plan to make a swatch and wash it, but the only instructions I can find on the Paton's website are for machine felting, and I don't want to put a smallish swatch in the machine. Any one have any experience hand washing to felt this yarn?

I have had lots of experience felting with Patons Merino wool. It felts wonderfully. If you want it to felt a lot, (where the stitches are hidden) pour a pan of boiling water into the washing machine as it is filling up. It will felt a lot though that way. I love the look!

I have 3 felted items in my book, and I used the Patons wool on 2 of them.

Mary Jane Hall

Author of Positively Crochet

The Paton's Classic Wool is my favorite wool to felt with. In my experience, it will shrink approximately 1/3 widthwise, less lengthwise.

If you are swatching to see how much it will felt, you should use the same method that you would use when felting the completed article. However, I have found that felting very small things (i.e. flowers... or swatches) the yarn shrinks more proportionately that the larger object.

Have fun with it!

Joan

I've felted with Paton's as well,it does felt well in a regular washing machine. We now have a front loader without agitators anyone know if there are safe agitators to throw into a front loader to felt?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this topic, but I had some Patons Merino to give a test run. The washer is a frontloader so I didn't think that would be enough for my sample.

Felting is hot water plus mechanical manipulation equals felting, so I figured I'd boil water and put in in my big stand mixer with the flat paddle.

I had to keep watch on it so that the fibres wouldn't tie up around the paddle, but in about 10 minutes I had a very beautifully felted gauge piece. Now I just have to make the real thing and see if the mixer can cope with a single felted slipper at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a front loader as well, so I've used tennis shoes and tennis balls as agitators for my felting. They don't do quite as well as a regular washing machine, but putting the piece through several cycles seems to work. As a note, though, my mom and I have the same exact washing machine. When I felted at my house with tennis shoes and such, I've had no problems. When I did the same in her machine, she had a small amount of leaking out the front of the door. I can't find anything from the manufacturer on felting or agitating, so I'm going with it!

I've felted with Paton's as well,it does felt well in a regular washing machine. We now have a front loader without agitators anyone know if there are safe agitators to throw into a front loader to felt?

• 3 weeks later...
Felting is hot water plus mechanical manipulation equals felting, so I figured I'd boil water and put in in my big stand mixer with the flat paddle.

I had to keep watch on it so that the fibres wouldn't tie up around the paddle, but in about 10 minutes I had a very beautifully felted gauge piece. Now I just have to make the real thing and see if the mixer can cope with a single felted slipper at a time.

LOL, that's hysterical! Felting with the mixer! What a great idea! :clap

Archived