should I edge it...

...with a shell stitch, or call it finished??? I'm still irritated that it's not perfectly squared and that it appears ruffled around the edges; but I didn't use a pattern and rather just made it up as I went. My husband keeps telling me that if they don't love it then they're nuts, and I know that, heck I've impressed myself, but the perfectionist side of me is sad that I didn't do better...

anyways, back to the edging. I planned on adding a white shell stitch to the outside, what do you think? I'm thinking I want to but I've never done the shell stitch, is there any advice that you can give?

Thank you!!!

ann15aug20.jpg

I have been following your progress from the start and even showed my dh. I think it turned out fantastic:clap and the shell stitch would "take away" from the ghan. Try out a reverse single crochet and see if that helps the cause.

KathyWho:hook

Yet to do my first graphghan:think

big big :hug !!! I know I shouldn't be so full of pride, but I can't help it, I really am proud of this! :D

what do you mean by blocking it out? hehe, yeah I'll just tell them that the ruffle is supposed to be there, lol!!! Also, a reverse single crochet? If you can see it, I did use a gray/white twisted yarn to edge it with a single crochet, but I'm not against making the edging a bit bolder, that's why I thought of the shell... I'm very open to all suggestions!

Well, it's really cool looking, so you should be proud of it!

By blocking, I mean to try washing or fully wetting the afghan and then smoothing it to shape on a flat surface. Don't move it until it's fully dry. You may be able to manipulate the edges to flatten them. Try googling "crochet blocking" or "knit blocking" and see if you can find detailed instructions.

Beth

I agree with the above, a shell edging would be pretty on a fussy lacy piece but this is very solid and geometric, it wouldn't "go". It would look better with a straight edge I think.

Here is a video on the reverse SC. It is a little hard to get used to, but it is my favorite if I want a sturdy, simple edge (it looks like a rope)

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=17

Granny Square, thank you so much for the recommendation and the video link... I absolutely LOVE that stitch! It DOES look like a rope, and it's perfect for this 'ghan! I did half of a side just to see, and yes it took a few tries to get it right, but wow! A nice thick sturdy edge, just as you described... awesome! I'm only 3.5 sides away from being finished, but as much as I'd love to finish it right now, I'm pooped... nitey nite!

Thank you again to everyone for all of the comments, I really do appreciate your support through this project! What a wonderful community, I'm so glad that I found you!!! :hug

I have been following your progress from the start and even showed my dh. I think it turned out fantastic:clap and the shell stitch would "take away" from the ghan. Try out a reverse single crochet and see if that helps the cause.

KathyWho:hook

Yet to do my first graphghan:think

yes i agree. reverse sc looks awesome. maybe use that silver yarn for it.

I think it looks great just the way it is !!! Remember...more is less and less is more. I had been frustrated over mine not laying flat...but it was loved by the recipient and that is what counts. We are all too critical of our own work. Your hubby is right! Thanks for sharing!

Well, it's really cool looking, so you should be proud of it!

By blocking, I mean to try washing or fully wetting the afghan and then smoothing it to shape on a flat surface. Don't move it until it's fully dry. You may be able to manipulate the edges to flatten them. Try googling "crochet blocking" or "knit blocking" and see if you can find detailed instructions.

Beth

I agree that a good blocking will make it straighten out. For such a precious item, I'd go whole hog and use some variation of steam blocking.

It would take quite a bit of writing to explain, so I did a bit of googling.

I thought this site was interesting because it goes into other blocking techniques. For your problem, I strongly recommend steam blocking and pinning into place as much as possible before getting the afghan damp from the steam cloth. (off topic -- there's a pic of a sweater done from human hair)

http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

Hmm. It appears that about.com and knitty.com share some of the exact same wording. (However interesting comment here about blocking wires which would not be relevant for an afghan.)

http://knitting.about.com/od/learntoknit/a/blocking_knits.htm

This person went all out, buying a blocking board and then writing a tutorial. (Instead of a blocking board -- for afghans, I used a carpeted floor covered with a sheet. The pins to hold the afghan in place go thru the sheet and into the carpet.) She's wet blocking granny squares which do look better because texture is retained. With steam blocking, you flatten out the texture which I think looks good with all single crochets.

http://grannyalong.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-spray-block.html

This is a great general site with a couple of paragraphs about blocking. You have to scroll about 2/3 down to find it.

http://www.crochetnmore.com/123basics.htm

Archived