4-Ply not staying twisted....Bad yarn???

tiniree

Question

I started an afghan the other night using Caron One Pound skeins. The pattern uses 3 colors.

Got the first rows done with color A and attached color B. Finished about 1.5 rows with color B and noticed that the yarn pulling from the center was not staying "twisted". So what resulted was when I wrapped the yarn around the hook, it looked like I had 8 separate strands instead of just 2.

My question? Should I pull out the "untwisted" section and restart with a fresh section? I went and pulled about 2ft of the yarn out and it still isn't twisted.

Should I just rip back all of color B and start over with a fresh skein?

Marie

12 answers to this question

I bought some caron simply soft a while ago and it does the same thing. Really, I decided I probably wouldn't buy it again, if that is how it is going to "work." I don't know much about yarn though, so maybe someone more experienced here can tell us if this is just how that yarn is or if we have bad batches.

That's odd...I've been using Caron One-Pound for the Vertical Rib Sweater, and it's working out just fine. I've heard that there's been quality issues with Caron Simply Soft, but I didn't know that included One-Pound, too...

are you a leftie or rightie?

I ask becauseI can't use this yarn for this exact reason and I am a leftie. Some yarns do this to me so I just stay away from them.

I AM left-handed, but crochet right-handed. But now that I think about it, I always keep the skein on my left side and pull from left to right.

Could that possibly make a difference?

:cheer You could try using the yarn from the opposite end of the ball.

It could be that it has been wound in the opposite direction.

I always pull my yarn from the centre of the ball and have a similar problem sometimes.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I have this problem once in a while, not specific to any particular brand. What I do is wind the skein into a ball and work from the other end. If you wind to a center pull, it's not going to work. I use my yarn winder then work from the outside of the cake.

Or take it back to the store, or call Caron and let them know. They are pretty good about replacing bad skeins. I usually don't want to bother with returning the yarn . . . .

Interesting. I usually wind to a ball and it still did that. It's nice to know that not all caron is like that though b/c I really like some of their colors

I emailed Caron about the yarn and today I received a reply from their customer service department saying that it indeed sounded like I had gotten a bad batch!

They offered to send me TWO FREE SKEINS in the color of my choice!!

Great to see Customer Service, REAL customer service still exists!

Marie

Hi!

Have to agree that its a case of just working from the centre of the ball so you are against the ply and it holds together.

I also gave a ball that was coming apart a quick burst with the Fabulon and that seemed to help a bit.

Manda

Archived