New To Thread Crochet - Frustrated

Hi Everyone:

I am a long time crochetter, but I have never crocheted with thread. I am starting a table runner for my mom. It is suppose to be a simple pattern, sl st, sc, dc and picot. I am using #3 Royal Thread and a D hook. I have had to frog it 5 times!!! Either the stithes are to tight or too lose and it looks sloppy!! Do any of you thread crochetters have any good advice for me? I am getting frustrated. I know that if I don't finish this, or I set is aside for some other time, I will never thread crochet again!! Help!!

I'm no veteran, but I wrap my thread around my pinkie and then weave it through my fingers. When I crochet, I hold my work with my thumb and pinkie which helps me control the tension. If this is the first time you are working with thread, you should probably practice on a square to save yourself the frustration that you seem to be experiencing. It just takes some time to work out/with your tension that gives you the desired consistency of tension. Jumping from yarn to thread takes some getting used to, but if you keep with it, it is so rewarding and pretty. Hang in there and hopefully some of the others will offer you some more advice!

:hook

I did notice when I was making some potholders out of cotton thread, the thread didn't slide through my fingers as smoothly as yarn did. Perhaps this could be your problem. I loosened up on my yarn grip (not the be confused with the hand that holds the hook).

I too wrap thread around my pinkie and through my fingers which gives me a nice, tight tension for the stitches. When I work with yarn I don't wrap around my pinkie. I tend to crochet tightly and have found these things to help tremendously.

personally I would try a smaller hook. A Size d hook too me seems large for that size thread. Too large of a hook can make crocheting difficult with a new medium until you are used to it and it's idiosyncrasys. I normally use a size 1 hook with a size 3 thread.

I hope you are able to work past your fustrations. Size 3 isn't all that much different than baby yarn as far as size goes. It's just smoother so the stitches stand out more. Just try and relax and crochet. You definitely know how to crochet. I wish you the best of luck on this. Thread is wonderful once you become comfortable with it.

The feeling and tension of cotton thread is totally different from yarn, it just takes a little getting used to. You generally keep a firmer tension with thread crochet. With yarn you usually crochet a little looser (if you're making an afghan you want it soft and drapeable, not too tight).

My advice is keep at it. You will develop the proper tension with a little practice. You probably need to wrap the thread around your pinkie at least once - twice if you feel you are crocheting too loosely. You'll get the feel of it and then you will really enjoy the finer detail of doing this kind of work. Good luck!

I second Katchkan's advise to try a #1 steel hook. A size D seems large to me for thread also. Besides that, just relax and do each stitch individually.

I'm a new threadie too, thanks to Kathy (Katchkan). It's quite different from working with yarn and, as Kathy said, using the correct hook makes all the difference in the world.

Whereas you can let yarn dangle on your finger, you really must keep the thread tight in order to get even, nice stitches. It takes some getting used to, but I'm starting to reach the point where I'm enjoying thread crochet more than I am with yarn. (Don't tell anyone!:P )

One thing about thread -- it doesn't split like yarn does and that eliminates one of my most annoying pet peeves!

Hang in there! If I can do, anyone can.

It does take a bit of getting used to when you switch from yarn to thread. Every time the weather gets too uncomfortable to work on the afghans, I switch to threads and it takes me about a week to get used to it again. Just work up some practice swatches until you feel you've got the right tension as well as the right hook.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I tried the smaller hook and the pattern just didn't look right, it was too tight with bigger empty spaces, which didn't look like the pattern (of course it didn't look like the pattern before with all the loopy droopy stitches, LOL:lol ). So I tried wrapping the yarn around my pinking finger, which was uncomfortable, but worked great!! Sooooooo, then I wrapped it around my pointer finger, which is more comfortable and works great, but is too close to my work, so I have to stop and drop a loop off here and there, which can be annoying, so now I am going to try it with my middle finger. I will just keep going through all the finders until it all works out. Thanks for the tips. Wraping the thread around a finger really does help to adjust the tension and my work looks better, now I just need to either get used to it or find a more comfortable wrapping position. Thanks!!

I have been experiencing the same problem. While the crochet item looks better with the thread wrapped, it doesn't slip easily around the finger and there is a lot of wrapping and re-wrapping. I don't know if this is normal to thread crochet and something I just have to get used to or if I am doing it wrong. It seems to take longer to produce the item though with all the wrapping and re-wrapping!!

Please don't give up! Thread is such a great thing----yes, I am a threadie ! When I first started using it, I had problems with tension too and awful cramps in my hands. But, now I LOVE it! Just take a break and try again! You won't be sorry!:manyheart

Is it normal to have to wrap and re-wrap to keep the tensions right and it will get easier with time or are we doing it wrong?

Please don't give up! Thread is such a great thing----yes, I am a threadie ! When I first started using it, I had problems with tension too and awful cramps in my hands. But, now I LOVE it! Just take a break and try again! You won't be sorry!:manyheart

Have you tried weaving it between your fingers? That is what works for me. Every once in a while I will have to stop and reposition the thread, but not very often.

By weaving it I mean, hold the thread between your thumb and pointer finger between in the middle segement of your finger. The wrap is over your pointer finger, under your index finger, over your ring finger and under your pinky finger, then bend your pinky finger down to hold the yarn. You can adjust the tension on the yarn to let it feed more or less easily by how firmly you "hold" it with your pinky finger.

I hope that is clear. I can try and take a picture if not and post.

Have you tried weaving it between your fingers? That is what works for me. Every once in a while I will have to stop and reposition the thread, but not very often.

By weaving it I mean, hold the thread between your thumb and pointer finger between in the middle segement of your finger. The wrap is over your pointer finger, under your index finger, over your ring finger and under your pinky finger, then bend your pinky finger down to hold the yarn. You can adjust the tension on the yarn to let it feed more or less easily by how firmly you "hold" it with your pinky finger.

I hope that is clear. I can try and take a picture if not and post.

I tried it your way and it worked really well. The thread fed itself and it was easier to get the tension somewhat even. THANKS!

Archived