Crochet speed

Kim M.

Question

Hello Everyone!

I have a question. I am a beginner crocheter and I am wondering what is a normal speed to crochet. I picked a very easy project that I found in a parneting magazine. You make 5" singel crochet squares and then assemble them to make your blanket. You can make any size blanket you want depending on how many squares. I decided to make mine with 80 squares (8 rows across and 10 squares per row). It takes me 1 hour to make each square and finish the edges. I feel like it is taking forever to finish this project. Is this a good speed or am I really slow? I have been laying out my finished squares and I am excited about how it is looking so far, but I am only half way done.

Kim M.

10 answers to this question

:cheer Don't stop, for starters! The more you do the faster you get. I think that is absolutely a reasonable amount of time to spend on a square, and to me the most important part is the 'am I having fun?' part. :dance It sounds like you are. Besides that, if it isn't for a gift with a deadline, you can take as much time as you want to get it finished. I think you are doing just fine, and I can't wait to see it when you've got if finished. :photo

I agree with Julie! That sounds about how long it takes me (I always feel like I am a slow crocheter though that might be partially because it takes me forever to finish projects for myself).

It sounds like the afghan is turning out great and you're having fun with it -- it's neat to see something you're making come together! I can't wait to see it! :)

Sounds about the right speed, especially for a beginner. I know beginners that take hours, if not days, to finish one 7-inch square, and I'm talking about a simple square.

With time, your speed & accuracy will increase. The main thing to keep in mind is your tension & gauge. The rest will follow with practice.

We can't all be Lily Chins' although I would love to be able to work at her speed. Imagine all that you can finish in a day if we all could crochet as fast as the "Fastest Crocheter in the World"! :hook

Personally I wouldn't worry about how long it takes. Everyone goes at different speeds and everyone does different things at different rates. I might could do three squares an hour (I don't lol) but only work on them an hour a week; while you do one an hour and work every night on them. That would make you overall fast. ;)

Like Julie said, as long as you hang in there and enjoy it, you're fine. :hug

Work at your own pace. Don't rush anything.

"I" think I am a slow crocheter as well, and I've been crocheting for about 32yrs. now.

Each person works at a different pace. No two people are ever alike, just like the projects we make, no 2 are ever the same. :D

Terri :yay

Everyone crochets at different speeds. It often depends on what your working on. If you have worked a a pattern before, chances are you'll be faster each time you do it. Sometimes a pattern is just so simple, you just breeze through it. Other times, if a pattern is more complicated it can take much much longer. Go at a comfortable pace (for you) and just enjoy the experience. Thats what its all about:hook .

Lisa

I do really enjoy the project, and I think it will turn out great. I just have to quit thinking about how many more squares I have to make.:hook

Kim M. :hook

If I think about what I am doing I go slow. If I don't think about what I am doing I forget to count and then mess up somewhere and have to frog it back out. ditto what everyone else said.

I consider myself a slow crocheter and I've been doing it for years. You'll speed up with practice and experience. It also depends how complex the pattern is. For TV watching, I like to do what somebody called "zombie" projects--just straight crochet, with no counting or patterns to keep track of. Just don't push yourself. It should be fun, not work.

Archived