Flower Button Wallet( corrections made)

Sonny321

I have had some requests for this pattern and thought I would repost it in this forum. It should make it easier to find this way rather than having to serch through the show and tell threads to find it. Thread where you can find discussion about this pattern found here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7776&highlight=wallet

th_882e2571.jpg

th_398b93b4.jpg

th_720c7229.jpg

Flower Button Wallet

Worsted weight yarn

Small amount of main color and two smaller amounts of yellow for button and another color for flower.

Yarn needle

H hook.

Stitch pattern

Crumpled Griddle

Note: On row two, on each hdc there is a loop underneath the two loops that you usually would crochet into. This is the loop you crochet into NOT the two stitch loops.

Chain 12

Row 1:sc in 2nd ch from hook,* hdc in next stitch, sc in next stitch, repeat from * to end of row. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: Sc in 1st sc,* sc in the next hdc loop( mentioned in pattern note), sc in next sc, repeat from * to end, ch 1, turn.

Row 3: (right side) Sc in 1st st, * hdc in next sc, sc in next sc, repeat from* to end, ch 1, turn

Repeat rows 2 and 3, ending on a row 2 row.

Wallet: ( weave in ends as you go)

Chain 25

Work in pattern until piece is 24 rows long, fasten off. (You will fold this sideways when it's time to sew it up)

Pocket:

Chain 13

Row 1: Sc 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, ch 1 turn

Row 2 - 24: Sc in each sc across

Fasten off,

With wrong side of wallet facing and working through the back loops on the pocket and the front loops on the wallet, sew or slip stitch the pocket to the last 12 stitches on the top row of the wallet and the last 12 stitches on the bottom row of the wallet.

Sew or slipstitch neatly across the bottom of the pocket, and sew or slip stitch a neat seam to divide the pocket for credit cards and coins. (Be sure to do this as neatly as you can because you are sewing the pocket to the front portion of the wallet) turn right side out.

Flap:

Note: Work sc dec like this (insert hook into stitch and draw up a loop, insert hook into next stitch and draw up a loop, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook) after making a Sc Dec, continue with the next stitch the pattern stitch row you are working on calls for unless otherwise noted.

Row 1: With the front of the wallet facing you attach yarn to the back edge and make 23 sc evely spaced across the back, ch 1, turn.

Row 2: Work row 2 of pattern stitch.

Row 3: Work row 3 of pattern stitch.

Row 4: Work row 2 of pattern stitch with a sc dec on the first and last stitch of the row.

Row 5: Work row 3 of pattern stitch with a sc dec on the first and last stitch of the row.

Row 6: repeat row 4

Row 7: repeat row 5

Row 8 repeat row 4

Row 9: repeat row 5

Row 10: Work 1 sc dec, hdc in the next st, ch 5, skip 5 sc and hdc into the next st, 1 sc dec, ch 1, turn.

Row 11: work 1 sc dec, 5 sc in the ch 5 space, 1 sc dec in the next st., ch1 and turn.

Row 12: work 1 sc dec, sc in each of the next 3 st, 1 sc dec in the next st, fasten off.

Flower: inspired by the flower pattern found here ( http://www.geocities.com/mooncat48/Patterns/PinsandFridgies/Zinneas/zinneas.htm )

Attach contrasting color yarn for the flower to the inside edge of the button hole

Make 14 (or 16 for a fuller flower) sc evenly spaced around the inside edge of the button hole sl st into the first sc.

Round 1: *Chain 8 and sl st into the back loop of the same st., sl st into the next stitch. Repeat from * to end.

Round 2: sl stitch into the front loop of the same sc's that you made the first loops in. * chain 6 and sl st into the front loop of the same st, sl st into the next st, and repeat from * to end. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Button: (Slightly modified version of the ball button found in Reader's Digest's "The Complete Guide to Needlework")

With yellow yarn, ch 4 and sl st to form a ring. ( leave about a 6 inch tail)

Round 1: Ch1, make 10 sc in the ring, sl st to beginning sc.

Round 2: Ch1, * 1 sc in next st, 2 sc in the next st repeat from* around to end sl st to beginning sc. Pull short yarn tail up through center hole) (15 sc's made)

Round 3: Ch1, (insert hook through center hole , draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook) 20 times, sl st to beginning sc.

Round 4: 1 sc in every other st, fasten off leaving a 12 inch tail. With yarn needle ( or small crochet hook will work in a pinch) make an over cast st in each outside loop, pulling the yarn end after each st to snug stitches toward the center( forming a ball shape) Tie beginning and ending tails together, and sew an X across the back for sewing to the purse.

Line up the button with the button hole( centered on the front of the purse) and sew button to purse, fasten off and weave and trim any ends.

I was brought to my attention the some of the instructions for this wallet were missing. I realized I had left off half the instructions. This error has been corrected and the full iinstructions are now posted. Thank you and I'm sorry for not catching this sooner.

Under the list of materials needed for this pattern you have listed:

Stitch pattern

Crumpled Griddle

What do these 2 items mean, exactly? I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about.

The stitch pattern is the instructions for the stitch that the wallet is made in. You can work up a practice swatch using the dirctions under where it says "stitch pattern" so you can become familiar with how to make the stitch. The name of the stitch is Crumpled Griddle. Actually it is a variation of the original "crumpled griddle" which is a traditionally worked as follows ( sc, dc, sc, repeat across, ch 1 turn, and work a sc in each sc and a dc in each dc across) This version of the crumpled Griddle stitch would work just as nicely in the wallet as the version I wrote the pattern in. It's a little easier to understand as well.

( you can also work the whole thing in Single crochet)

If You don't want to work the practice swatch, then just use the beginning Ch25 where the actual wallet pattern starts and follow the stitch pattern instructions. Let me know if you need any more help understanding the pattern.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

i really want to make this wallet but i am stuck. first you say to chain 12. now is the chain 12 part of the wallet or is it just showing you how to do the pattern/stitch. so when making the wallet do you start at the chain 2.

I was brought to my attention the some of the instructions for this wallet were missing. I realized I had left off half the instructions. This error has been corrected and the full iinstructions are now posted. Thank you and I'm sorry for not catching this sooner.

Archived