About the encyclopedia of crochet

acraftylady

Question

I got the encyclopedia of crochet by Donna Kooler for my birthday. I browsed it quick and thought great all these nice pattern stitches in the back I can try. So I went to try something today and I totally do not understand the instructions. There is a color photo of the finished swatch of the stitch then they have the pattern in symbol crochet I think it is and then they have the pattern written out. The problem is all the stitches start with ch so many and after that it says to ch1 and turn and then you start the row. I have never crocheted the opposite way. Why can't they just have all these pattern stitches written the normal way I know how to do? I know I can find stitches online for free to practice but I am in the car a lot waiting for my Mom to run errands so I thought this would be nice as a take along. I do like all the info in the book just confused on how they wrote out all the different stitches to try. Mary

25 answers to this question

This portion may just be a preliminary explanation of how the pattern is repeated. You might have to read a little further (is there a second paragraph?) to see how you actually do the pattern. I have this book at home, but I won't be able to look at it until later this evening.....

There are some slight variations in the way patterns are written. Some patterns tell you to "turn, ch 2" and then work the row from there. Some tell you to "ch 2, turn" and work the row from there. It is the same thing.

You said they have the pattern stitches graphed in symbols. You should be able to glance at the chart and see exactly what they are talking about. This book sounds similar to the Harmony Guide to Crochet which is written the same way.

Don't let my post turn you off from this book. There is loads of great info in the book and the project patterns don't seem confusing to me. It was just the various stitches in the back that confused me, they way it was worded. They do have them written out along with the graphs and there is a nice chart on what all the graph symbols mean so now that I have learned some of that I hope to be able to follow. I guess for me I would just rather have it all written out plain instead of a graph but that's just me and what I am used to. I have only been at this 1 1/2yrs. so still new. Mary

Please don't do that, boo!! Have a look at it before you purchase it, by all means, but don't dismiss it until you have had a look!!!!

a pattern and mostly used the symbols. And it turned out pretty well, so I may have to give it a peek sometime.

:)

Yes, I like the symbol patterns too, sammimag!! They are so much simpler to follow, and you can see where stitches are to go and how many. The Crochet Monthly books are also the same, as well as the Oondori books!!!

I would definitely keep it on the wish list. There is great info on stitches and how to do them and really good diagrams.

The thing to understand that the stitch patterns in the back are the basics so you can write up your own pattern. You need to have a basic understanding of how patterns are written.

Haven't many of you noticed that when you do a repeating row pattern that the first time you do the row it's slight different because it's the row that goes into the foundation chain. Then the next time you do the row it's very similar but now you do the turning chain and you do turn your work?

I'm curious if that's the norm for stitch pattern books that are only written as opposed to symbol crochet? I don't know as I only have Japanese symbol pattern books and I LOVE them. They only have the symbols so I count the chains and figure out what I need for a foundation chain.

boy have i learned a lot and this book is on my wish list...um mm...mixed feelings now:think

KEEP IT ON YOUR WISHLIST!!!! It is really quite simple to follow graphs once you get used to converting the symbols to actual stitches!! And the book does have written instructions as well for most of their projects.

Jenny.

Acraftylady, if you look at the GRAPH above the Instructions, you will see that they have given you a starting point for the sc's.

The row of ovals on the bottom equate to your starting chain; the vertical oval on the end equates to the chn 1 to turn; the 3 "+" symbols are the 3 scs done in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th chns from the hook, and so on!!!

If you need anymore help with this, please pm me and I would be delighted to help you out!!

I love symbol crochet as you can see just exactly what you are doing, but it does take some getting used to!!!!

Jenny.

When you get home look at the pattern stitches in the back of the book and then you will understand how it's written. The rows are all there in order I just got confused because they put the turn right after you do your base ch but I see now you ignore that and turn and ch after the first row like you usually do. Silly me thought I was supposed to work backwards or something but I see now it's just worded different with a graph to go along so you can see the stitches. Mary!

I think I understand some of it now. I am going to work it like I am used to doing it and see what happens. I guess I should know that DC always goes in the 4th ch from the hook but I have been spoiled because most every pattern I did spelled that out. Thanks for the help. Mary

Ok, so you don't turn right after you make your ch stitches? On page 155, the bow ties stitch. It says ch a multiple of 13 then rows 1,2,3, turn, ch1, 3sc(then it goes into the repeat) I interperte that after you ch your multiple of 13 you turn and then work? Where do I put that 3sc, in the first ch or what?

Every single pattern stitch in the book has you turn after you ch and then just says like 2dc but not where to put them so I am very confused. If they would have just written it the way I know I wouldn't be having this problem. I don't understand why they had to write the instructions out like that. There are some pretty stitches in the book I want to try. Mary

Simply put, any pattern that says turn, ch1, 3sc.. or any such combination means ch1 (sets up for the next row), turn (flip your work like flipping the page in a book), 1sc in the next 3 sc of the previous row then follow the stitch pattern...

Let's take this step by step:

It just says to ch so many then turn and then 3dc and not where to put the 3dc.

This assumes you understand that a DC ALWAYS goes in the 4th chain from the hook. Always. Every time. No exceptions. When you do this, you'll have three chains next to your DC - in your case, making a 4dc cluster, I assume?

To me it sounds like I am supposed to ch then turn and work the first row, very confusing as I am not used to chaining then turning to work the first row.
Yes, you are used to chaining, then turning. Think about how what you do after you chain for a second - you make your chain, then you TURN your hook and make your sc in the second ch, or dc in the 4th ch, or whatever it is you need to do. Your chain is still on your left hand side (if you are right handed); it's your hook and the direction of the yarn coming into the hook that has turned. It just doesn't SEEM like turning, b/c on subsequent rows, you are physically turning your work. A better way to think about "turning" is to think "now go back and crochet in the direction you just came from".

Now I looked at few projects in the book and they are written the way I know, ch then sc in the 2nd ch from the hook and each ch after, ch1, turn and then go on to the next row. It's just these different pattern stitches that are written funky to me or in a way I can't understand. Mary
Again, it's b/c the pattern stitches are not written to any specific size - they are *just* the repeats of the patterns. It takes some math to make anything out of them.

I have this book, so if you want to PM me, or email me, I'll try to work through a specific pattern stitch with you. Once you "get" it, you are going to love this book! Understanding stitch multiples is hard, but once you are able to do it, you can put different stitches into patterns you already have and make completely new things!

Ok, I will try that and then read the book some more. I guess I am just used to patterns being written out clearly and not having to look at a graph to go with. I dug through my stash and I did have a leisure arts book I bought that has 63 pattern stitches, forgot I bought it I guess. Took it with me while waiting for my son to work out and I had no trouble doing the stitches in that book because they were written out the way I know and no graphs to follow. Thanks so much for the help. Mary

For the bow tie pattern chain the multiple of stitches recommended. I would chain 26 at least to get the pattern to work out well. Then ch1 and sc crochet as you normally do into the second chain from the hook, and follow the pattern as written.

Have you looked on the inside of the back cover of the book? It has all the symbol crochet symbols. Try going though the symbol pattern and follow the written. It will help it all make sense.

I understand all that but the book does not tell me to do that for these stitches. It just says to ch so many then turn and then 3dc and not where to put the 3dc. To me it sounds like I am supposed to ch then turn and work the first row, very confusing as I am not used to chaining then turning to work the first row. If I just had it written out the way I know I could do the stitches but this I can't read at all and make sense of.

Now I looked at few projects in the book and they are written the way I know, ch then sc in the 2nd ch from the hook and each ch after, ch1, turn and then go on to the next row. It's just these different pattern stitches that are written funky to me or in a way I can't understand. Mary

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll give it a shot here. When you start a new row, sc is usually done in the second ch from the hook. HDC is usually in the 3rd, DC in the 4th. I would recommend getting The Crochet Answer Book. It's small, handy, fits in any craft bag, and it literally answers all questions such as that, which I forget sometimes. This is a nice supplement to the Encyclopedia or any crochet book or pattern leaflet. You can also try about.crochet.com. This site has a lot of FAQs and beginner information on it.

Ok, so you don't turn right after you make your ch stitches? On page 155, the bow ties stitch. It says ch a multiple of 13 then rows 1,2,3, turn, ch1, 3sc(then it goes into the repeat) I interperte that after you ch your multiple of 13 you turn and then work? Where do I put that 3sc, in the first ch or what?

Every single pattern stitch in the book has you turn after you ch and then just says like 2dc but not where to put them so I am very confused. If they would have just written it the way I know I wouldn't be having this problem. I don't understand why they had to write the instructions out like that. There are some pretty stitches in the book I want to try. Mary

I have this book and the best I can figure out is they wrote it so it makes sense for the repeat rows. So they didn't add the first row.

So the very first time you do row 1 of any pattern in the book you do not turn you work. Then next time you do that row you will need to. Make sense?

That sounds confusingly written, which is not a good thing for a reference book!.

Does it help if you try study the diagram to figure out where to put the stitches?

Maybe another 'viller who has this book can jump in and help explain it's quirks, I'm not sure why it doesn't tell you where to put the stitches, sorry.

I understand what you are saying and I know that stuff. These are just pattern stitches to use for things and they are all done back and forth. Here is a small example of what I mean. Saw a stitch in the book called bow ties. It says ch a multiple of 13 stiches Then it says row 1,2&3: Turn, ch1, 3sc (* then it goes on about the repeat*).

Ok right after you chan in all these patterns stitches in this book you don't sc into the second ch from the hook and each ch after like I am used to doing, that is normal to me. You chain your multiple of 13 for this pattern then ch1 and turn and then start working. It is written just like that too after the turn and ch1, 3sc but it doesn't tell me where to put the 3sc. Does this make sense how I am describing it. If not e-mail me and I can give more details when I get home later. I am going to look for the book you gave. I just want some big book with a ton of stitches that I can practice while traveling or waiting places and such. Mary

Beaumariage@aol.com

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the opposite way".

Since you said row, I assume you aren't working in the round.

I don't have the same book you do, but I have the crochet stitch bible, and it will tell you to chain "a multiple of x plus y". The x is usually the amount of stitches to repeat the pattern, the y is the turning chain and maybe a stitch on each end, whatever the pattern needs. Is this what you are seeing?

The reason these generic stitch patterns are written this way is that they don't know if you are making a little dishcloth or a 6 foot wide afghan with the stitch pattern, so you will need to figure out how many x's you need for your piece. I hope that makes sense.

Archived