Going to make a Log Cabin afghan that is written for Homespun yarn.

boo1

Question

I don't like Homespun that much, so I'm going with RH (love the new fall colors!). Should I change hook sizes, since Homespun is considered 'bulky'? (And since it's for me, I'm too lazy to make a swatch, please don't flame me!)

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

If you double up RHSS, even with an N hook you will get a much stiffer fabric than with homespun. ( I just tried a swatch--I'm not flaming :) RHSS and Caron Pounder are the among the thickest/stiffest of worsted yarns.

I suggest using a single strand of RHSS and maybe I or J hook. Your blanket will be a little smaller, but maybe you could make another row of squares or make a border around.

I don't blame you, Homespun is junk in my opinion. It does not hold up well at all, and I have found the quality to be awful.

Good luck!

:think I have finally seen some Homespun yarn, in our Spotlight store, and I do not like it at all.

Maybe for knitting but I think it is too uneven for crochet and for me it is too thick. (Old, painful hands)

If you are changing yarns to a thinner yarn, make sure you use the hook size recommended for the yarn you are going to use.

If it is a pattern done in squares, do as someone else said and make more to get the size of blanket you want. Or you could add an extra row or two if the pattern allows.

If it is done in rows, just make a longer starting chain and work your pattern as many times as you need to to achieve the size you want.

Any left over chain can be removed later by carefully unpicking tham back to the edge of your piece.

The other way you can make the blanket up to the size you want is to add a border.

Crochet is so adaptable so go for it.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I am a RH/Caron girl myself...through thick and thin ;) . I made a Homespun blanket just recently and it turned out to be beautiful! I HATED working with it though. I know that RH/Caron are "rough" yarns. I am making a graphghan for DH and I am using RH yarn. I am using an N needle. It is alittle loose but it makes it a little softer. :c9

Lion Brand had a pattern in their last catalog for a log cabin afghan made from Cotton Ease. My son liked it, but I'm not too keen on it considering how much yarn it called for and the price per skein for the yarn.

Ruth

Archived