Just not fair!

diamond

I know this has been discussed before but it ticks me off. It's just not fair that knitting magazines/web sites have the coolest patterns and there are no patterns comparable for crochet. The latest issue of VogueKnitting has some really great patterns in it and advertisements for web sites that have even better patterns. It's just not fair. Where are all the great patterns for crochet (whether for free or sale)? I am a novice knitter and know if I put my heart into it, I could knit as well as crochet. But, simply put, I don't like to knit. Don't like having to use 2 needles vs. 1 little hook. GRRRRR Makes me crazy, like I really need to be crazier than I already am. :rant

A lot of European crochet patterns are much more stylish than American patterns. You could have a look there.

But, yeah, it drives me nuts, too! I have the Interweave Knits crochet issue, and while the patterns are really good, I still don't think they're up to the standard of the knitting patterns they publish.

Part of it might be demand - if the companies don't know that we want good stylish patterns, then they won't publish them. Maybe write and tell them?

A lot of European crochet patterns are much more stylish than American patterns. You could have a look there.

QUOTE]

Where can I find the european crochet patterns? I have seen some pictures of lovely stuff but don't know where to get them.

Where can I find the european crochet patterns? I have seen some pictures of lovely stuff but don't know where to get them.

Here's a place to start:

http://www.karpstyles.com/catalog.html?category=British

http://www.uzelok.ru/woman_gall.html (Russian)

http://petli.sitecity.ru/ (Russian)

http://www.circulo.com.br/ (Brazilian)

Check out elann.com. They sell pattern books from companies like Schachenmayr. I just bought their book called "Inspiration" which is full of gorgeous crocheted summer items.

What bugs me the most is everything is knit, knit, knit - but crocheting is actually much, much more popular. I know alot of crocheters (in general) tend to use cheaper yarns than knitters do, and I've often wondered if that's why everyone is so focused on knitters - that's where the money is.

I know alot of crocheters (in general) tend to use cheaper yarns than knitters do, and I've often wondered if that's why everyone is so focused on knitters - that's where the money is.

But is it chicken or egg? Do crocheters use cheaper yarn because there are no patterns using the more expensive yarn? Or are there no patterns using the more expensive yarn because crocheters use cheaper yarns?

I don't think we'll know until they give us some patterns that use the more expensive yarns!

Hi, there is a really cool book out called From Needles to Hooks by Donna Scott. It shows how to convert knitting patterns to crochet. I got it out of my local library to check it out and then I bought it. I use it as a reference and to convert stitches. Here's a link to amazon, you might want to check it out. Although I know how to knit, I too prefer to crochet. There's just something not comfortable about knitting and I get more joy and less stress from crocheting. It's worth looking at.

Deb

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-4465725-1628756

Hi, there is a really cool book out called From Needles to Hooks by Donna Scott. It shows how to convert knitting patterns to crochet. I got it out of my local library to check it out and then I bought it. I use it as a reference and to convert stitches. Here's a link to amazon, you might want to check it out. Although I know how to knit, I too prefer to crochet. There's just something not comfortable about knitting and I get more joy and less stress from crocheting. It's worth looking at.

Deb

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-4465725-1628756

I have this book for the same reason and have been using it a lot. I, too, can knit but prefer to crochet. At least now there's a source that can help us crocheters convert the knit patterns to crochet. :knit

Check out elann.com. They sell pattern books from companies like Schachenmayr. I just bought their book called "Inspiration" which is full of gorgeous crocheted summer items.

Have you already received it? I was thinking about ordering it but was curious what kind of items and how many were in the book. Thanks!

I did receive it. :) It has 8 patterns for women and 3 for girls. My only problem is that most of the patterns only go up to a 36-38" bust and I haven't had that since I had my daughters. But, the patterns do look to be adjustable with a little bit of calculating.

I bought it because I wanted to make a top for my mom, or hopefully, work with her while she makes it. She hasn't been able to crochet in six months from a torn ligament in her arm (exacerbated by crocheting, but it wasn't the casue) and this summer should be a good time for us both to sit down and work together.

I bought From Needles to Hook & regret paying full-price for it. I can look at a knit pattern and figure out how to crochet something that looks like it on my own, which IMO is exactly what that book tells you to do. I was really, really disappointed in it. (It is pretty good as a general stitch guide if you don't have one of those.)

Anything someone else can knit, I can crochet. All I need is a photo and an idea of what yarn to use. I find it a lot easier to figure out how to crochet something knitted than to outright knit it, but maybe I'm just funny that way. :lol (The umbilical hat from Stitch n Bitch was probably the easiest conversion ever.)

But is it chicken or egg? Do crocheters use cheaper yarn because there are no patterns using the more expensive yarn? Or are there no patterns using the more expensive yarn because crocheters use cheaper yarns?

I don't think we'll know until they give us some patterns that use the more expensive yarns!

That's actually a very interesting point, one I didn't think of. I never follow a pattern exactly, which includes yarn, usually gauge, and certainly fiber. Since I never really pay attention to the type of yarn used, I guess I didn't think of those that do follow patterns religiously!

I bought From Needles to Hook & regret paying full-price for it. I can look at a knit pattern and figure out how to crochet something that looks like it on my own, which IMO is exactly what that book tells you to do. I was really, really disappointed in it. (It is pretty good as a general stitch guide if you don't have one of those.)

QUOTE]

I agree - I bought it right away when it came out, only knowing the very basics of knitting. But I've been converting knit patterns for years, to a certain extent anyways. I was pretty disappointed in the book overall. I have a ton, TON of stitch dictionaries, so I don't even use the book for that. I did make one of the sweater patterns in the book, don't remember what it was called offhand but the original was made in blue. It came out very, very heavy - too heavy for me to wear - and I frogged the whole thing.

I did make one of the sweater patterns in the book, don't remember what it was called offhand but the original was made in blue. It came out very, very heavy - too heavy for me to wear - and I frogged the whole thing.

I got the book out of the library to peruse some time ago. Reading through the initial instructions, I remember one thing that stood out for me: whenever you're converting a knit pattern to crochet, you will want to substitute a lighter weight yarn for whatever was originally called for in the pattern. In other words, a knit pattern calling for worsted weight yarn should be substituted with a sportweight for the crochet version. This was also where I learned that it requires more yarn to crochet than to knit.

Though I haven't attempted it yet, I tend to look at ALL knit items with an eye toward "can this be translated into a crochet version?" LOL! I've seen many that, in my opinion, seem like an awful lot of unnecessary work to produce in a knit when it would have been so much easier in a crochet, too. But then again, I'm prejudiced that way. :devil

• 3 weeks later...

Archived