foot pocket?

luv_crochet

Question

Hi everyone, this is my first question, please help. I am crocheting a blanket for my dad for Christmas. It is 2 strands thick, camoflauge, and his only complaint of any blanket I've made is that his M&M's always fall through the holes. Needless to say, they won't be falling through this one. He has arthritis really bad and doesn't have the ability to throw the blanket around his feet when it falls off so I've been thinking about adding a pocket for his feet, does anybody have any ideas??? Thanks in advance. :frog :frog

7 answers to this question

Becky,

What a great idea! My only suggestion is that you crochet a separate piece for the "pocket." Making the pocket piece wider than the afghan itself will give your Dad a bit more 'wiggle' room for his feet.

I made these types of afghans for my entire family {8 of them} several years ago for Christmas! My sister and I were at a craft fair the weekend before Thanksgiving and we saw a woman who made "Quillows", which is a quilt that folds up into a pillow, and then you use the pocket for your feet. And my sister {who I love dearly} says to me, "Oh I just know you can crochet this, you should make these for us, for Christmas!" I was up for the challenge! I didn't have a pattern, had never really heard of these before, so I made up my own pattern. I just found the stitch I wanted to use, crocheted the blanket, and then added the pocket using the same stitch. I folded the blanket in thirds width wise and then in fourths length wise to get the size of the pocket. They all loved them, and really liked the fact that you could fold it up into a pillow when you didn't need the blanket.

I did a little searching and found this site... Calming Seas

And there was a thread about a year ago that explains how they did it... here

I was just looking at foot-pocket throws in the annie's attic catalog I got last week. It's on page twelve of the catalog (I think the online cat is the same as the one sent snail-mail).

Archived