Still lost...

Anya

Question

I've been looking at these patterns that I LOVE! And they are in british terms. I've asked for help translating them on here before but with no luck. Anyone out there that has a idea how to convert those british terms onto americans? Help, I'm dying to make those beautifull shawls!

I am not good with yarn subbing. If you are wandering around your yarn place... look for other yarns that recommend a hook in the 3 - 4 mm range. (Whatever those hook sizes are in Murican :wlol )

I kind of figured it was a fine yarn. Is there any other yarn I would be able to substitute for alpaca since I don't think I have ever seen alpaca in the craft stores around here. I checked ebay and it's plentifull there but I'd rather just buy it around here.

Thanks. If you check on the yarn (alpaca) you will find that they recommend a 3mm or 3.5 mm needles/hooks for that yarn.

That seems a tad small to me but I haven't actually used the yarn to know if it is that fine. The shawl makes it look more like a WW (4)yarn

Thanks for the link. That is a nice pattern and would be nice on a summer night.

if you post a link to the actual pattern it might help us to help you as well. Drops usually posts that information at the top of the page.

One other thing did occur to me about your original posting.. Perhaps you did not realize that the patterns originate in Europe and the languages you wanted translated were most likely French or Swedish and not English. This also explains why members here were answering the question you did ask and not the question you thought you were asking. :think:eek:think

Drops has some great patterns. They make an effort to translate for the UK but not their charts.

wow, I just noticed that the web site doesn't provide the recommended hook size/yarn to use with this pattern, ohh well, I'll have to guess again.

so I should just ignore the abbreviations on top of the pattern (that's what really confuses me), just go by symbols?

yes, just read the symbols. i gave you a meaning for all the symbols I saw.

That link that I gave you before (from your old thread) would likely have helped you to understand the symbols. They may not be exactly the same but they are close enough for you to figure it out.

the dotted straight lines represent a chain stitch

the long vertical lines with 2 crossed lines are Tr crochet. The short lines with a bar are sc

for that pattern...

ch 19, tr in 12th chain from hook and the next 3 ch, ch 4 Tr in starting ch.

Row 2: sc in 1st st, ch 4, sc in tr, (ch3 sc in next Tr) 3 times, ch 4 sc in the 14th chain of your starting ch 19.

You should be able to see the stitches from there...oh yeah, that v looking thing is a slip stitch to move you into position for the next row.

what about this part of a pattern:

8-d.jpg

the top part where it says __= lm, I don't see that explained anywhere or am I missing it from one of the sites you guys gave me?

Ok, the patterns have symbols rather then stich names. I've been crocheting for a couple years and I do know what sc, hdc, dc, etc stiches are so that's not the problem, it's figuring out what a stick with a slash thorugh it means or dash, dash, dash, cross and a stick, like what the heck, lol. I'm sure I can figure it out, thanks all. Maybe I can post a picture.

I have printed out pages that show both ways of crocheting and then I use whichever one goes with whichever pattern

If I am using a English pattern I just refer to the sheet showing how to crochet the English way. Once you start on the item it soon sticks with you, you just have to remeber to switch to the other when using an American pattern.

i was thinking that this might be a case of making things too complicated for what they really are ...and so many of us do that to ourselves.

However it did occur to me that if you don't know how to do a SC, HDC, DC or TR then you have bigger problems than just writing a different word for the stitch. Is this something you are just learning as well? There are excellent tutorials out there to help you with learning these stitches...

http://www.crochetcabana.com/

is a good one to start with.

it isn't "converting" at all. its exactly the same stitches with different names. just try to remember the different names. once you get into the pattern you will be fine, it will flow more naturally

sc in us = dc in british

dc in us = treble in british etc you still work the stitches in exactly the same way. a trick to remember is how many loops you have on the hook. a US sc which is a british dc has 2 loops on the hook before you draw through them, the british treble has 3 loops on the hook before you draw through them. double = 2 loops, treble = 3 loops.. makes sense yes?

Archived