Peaches & Cream Afghan CAL

lucie

I've been working hard on my peaches & cream afghan. I've finished 28 squares and here's how it looks so far...

MVC-069F.JPG

MVC-074F.JPG

I want to start another 'ghan before I finish this one! :hook

I'm probably about half finished......

This is just beautiful! I have a silly question tho...what happens when you wash this? I mean, with it being 100% cotton, will it shrink? Will the colors run? Just wondering~it is so pretty and it looks like you have put alot of time into it. I think I would like to try one but just wondering how it washes up.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is just beautiful! I have a silly question tho...what happens when you wash this? I mean, with it being 100% cotton, will it shrink? Will the colors run?

In my experience cotton blankets wash wonderfully in cold water...colors stay bright (well they may fade a little over time) and they do not shrink. The more they're washed the softer and more supple they get.

I was literally working on this until the minute I had to wrap it, get dressed and leave the house! Didn't have time to measure it but i think it came out around 42 x 42. I used just a little over one skein of 5 colors of Sinfonia. What a wonderful sport weight yarn to work with!! Purchased on clearance it was only $2.39 a skein...that's a pretty inexpensive baby gift. It was a rush but I finished in a week...boy did I find new ways to sneak in a few stitches on this one (as long as you're LISTENING at church it counts, right?) :lol It was fun to make, got the idea from a purse pattern at ePatternCentral.com....I assigned each color a number (1-5) and rolled a die to determine the next color (but didn't allow a repeat the immediate color or the one just prior to that) and also rolled to see how many rows to make each stripe (2-5). Then did one round of each color for the border, well all but one...frankly, i just ran out of time :blush . I started it using dc's but it just seemed a bit too airy so instead it is all worked in hdc's. There's a closeup if you scroll forward.

I assigned each color a number (1-5) and rolled a die to determine the next color (but didn't allow a repeat the immediate color or the one just prior to that) and also rolled to see how many rows to make each stripe (2-5).

Wow! Using dice to pick random colors is such a cool idea! I have an embarrassing quantity and variety of dice stashed away, it would be fun to use them to make a color pattern.

I've recently 'discovered' peaches n cream and love it. I'd love to join but as it is tourist season, my two jobs are both in full swing and I'm not sure how much progress I'd make. We'll see :)

Yes, Sinfonia is Mercerized 100% cotton. Only place I know of to get it is Hobby Lobby.

That's why I'm unfamiliar with it. I don't think there are any HLs in NJ...

Thanks for all the compliments everybody!! I'm usually so structured color-wise that's why i've never done a scrap-ghan although i have dozens of patterns...it was freeing yet I wasn't left to make the color choices "myself". I'm going to have to do more of this kind of thing. I have about 5oz each of PnC left from dh's ghan (to be shared next week when the border is done) that don't have a project assigned. maybe another baby roll the dice blankey.

It's finally done!! :clap Definitely the biggest project I've ever done! I let dh pick the pattern and he let me choose the colors with the instruction that it needed to be bright, psychedelic. Had I given it any thought I would have said no or i would have done more than one round/row of each color....if i try to count the number of ends I had to weave in i might end up in the nut house!! WHAT WAS I THINKING??!!!! Anyway, I used about 14oz each of six colors of PnC and another 2 or so from TampaDoll (lifesaver!!) when I ran out doing the border. I started this mid May and finished yesterday (8/12/07). Because of its size, it nearly covers the top of our king-sized bed, it really wasn't portable so I only got a couple hours a week to work on it.

Allen's Psychedelic Blanket

It's finally done!! :clap Definitely the biggest project I've ever done! I let dh pick the pattern and he let me choose the colors with the instruction that it needed to be bright, psychedelic. Had I given it any thought I would have said no or i would have done more than one round/row of each color....if i try to count the number of ends I had to weave in i might end up in the nut house!! WHAT WAS I THINKING??!!!! Anyway, I used about 14oz each of six colors of PnC and another 2 or so from TampaDoll (lifesaver!!) when I ran out doing the border. I started this mid May and finished yesterday (8/12/07). Because of its size, it nearly covers the top of our king-sized bed, it really wasn't portable so I only got a couple hours a week to work on it.

WOW! Nice colors!

Great Job! :cheer Now, it's time to start another one! NO SLACKING! I agree about weaving ends. I'm tempted to make my next 'ghan a monotone. :think I've got lots of patterns to choose from it's just a matter of narrowing down the options.:eek

I'm doing the happy dance! :yay My granny square afghan is finally done. I'm working on the edging, which should be done late today. I'll try to post a pic of the completed 'ghan next week. One thing that's kept me going has been my next projects. I think next I'm going to start a mile-a-minute 'ghan and a grandmother's flower garden, which is made with hexagons. I have a quilt made with that pattern at the turn of the 20th century by my great-aunt, so I've always been partial to that pattern.

OK, breaks over, back to the the hook again! :hook

OK, finally got pics of my latest Peaches & Cream Afghan

newport1.jpg

newport2.jpg

I am SO glad this one is finished!:yay

hello nance!

Yes, it is 7sq.x 9sq. I was going to add another row of 7 sq. but I was sooo ready to finish it that I stopped at 9 rows. You know how you get when you've almost finished a project??

Yes, Sinfonia is Mercerized 100% cotton. Only place I know of to get it is Hobby Lobby.

---------

There's a link somewhere on the Ville where you can purchase Sinfonia online, but I also buy mine at Hobby Lobby. I bought a bunch of the bright orange and lime green when it was on clearance, and I'm currently making a toddler blanket out of it. I love, love, love Sinfonia yarn! Not too long ago, HL had it on sale for $2.49/skein, and I snapped up a ton of it (that was about half off).

---------------

Ooh, it's gorgeous!! But I think the ends would kill me, too.

---------

There's a link somewhere on the Ville where you can purchase Sinfonia online, but I also buy mine at Hobby Lobby. I bought a bunch of the bright orange and lime green when it was on clearance, and I'm currently making a toddler blanket out of it. I love, love, love Sinfonia yarn! Not too long ago, HL had it on sale for $2.49/skein, and I snapped up a ton of it (that was about half off).

http://www.crochetstyleetc.com/sinfonia.htm

Here's a link to a place that sells Sinfonia and Omega nylon "yarn". There are 55 colors of Sinfonia!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to make a baby afghan and peaches/sugar and cream would be great for it because it washes so well and cotton is good for babies instead of synthetics...thanks for reminding me.

I think I will do a fancy square in the middle and then granny around the square, since I don't know if girl or boy yet, I will make a varigated middle and then can border around in blue or pink once the baby is born.:cheer

Pam,

All three are beauties, but i favor the fushia one.and I love the one posted with 63 squares with the varigated monet in the middle....good inspiration, thanks for sharing your work.....and Nance - your psychedelic afghan is so very psychedelic , I love it.

Archived