Knit to Crochet

I've heard this can be done and there are books/instructions available but was wondering, has anyone here successfully done it? I am in drooling over this shawl and would love to make a crochet version. Could be a cool CAL don't you think?

That's beautiful, Nance......I don't see why you couldn't duplicate the effect, if not the exact stitches of the shawl. For the solid parts, I would use a sc, and larger stitches for the more lacey parts........

Most knit-to-crochet tutorials give you really basic info on how to calculate the dimensions in the knit pattern and then match those dimensions with a given crochet gauge. I bought a booklet online once and was sorely disappointed.

But given the way that shawl looks, it might be fun to find equivalent stitch patterns in crochet. I see rows of shells, ripple, DC (with some chain spaces)... The edging would be the most challenging and fun, kind of like a modified pineapple pattern.

I figured there wouldn't be a 1:1 conversion so to speak. I've already had a friend (co-worker in CA, I'm in IL) offer to help by knitting some swatches of the pattern and send them to me so I can see what the sections are supposed to look like. She said she might want to make one in knit too...so we're thinking of our own KAL/CAL!

Here is a discouraging word (opinion) on the subject in general....I had thought about trying it but maybe not...

http://wheatcarr.com/blog-a-mentary/convert-crochet-to-knit-no-not-really.php

I have always believed that you can't do it. You can make a shawl that has holes in the same places but it is not going to be "the same".

People, it seems, are not that fond of reality these days so that is why the books and such make money.

....and if that's the case i might just have to learn to k*** (gasp!!) LOL

It only hurts for the first week or so...:eek (That is what we used to tell kids after a tonsillectomy :rofl )

Seriously, it is a good thing to learn to do both. I am fairly adept at both but the truth is that I am a crocheter who can :knit

I'm a crocheter who can knit too -

My feeling is that crocheting a knit pattern (or knitting a crochet pattern) is like translating a joke from one language to another. You may be able to translate the words, but the effect is still different.

True. I have the Knit to Crochet book and only a very few look close to knit. But it's interesting to see what they've done with the stitches and the crochet patterns they had in it.

I have the same book and was very disappointed with it. I think each craft has is own uniqueness that really can't be duplicated by the other. I enjoy both but also love learning new techniques and stitches.

Archived