What's the absolute essential publication to have?

squish_52

I know there are alot of beginner crocheters on this forum and I'd like to ask the more experience what publication that they would feel to be the most essential to have in your crochet library. And beginners what publication has helped you the most so far? There are a lot of great books out in the market and I think a list would be awesome place to start looking!!

First on my list would be:

Crochet encyclopedia by Donna Kooler

200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton

Easy and concise directions perfect choices for both the beginner and experienced.

Your opinions please!:manyheart

First on my list would be Harmony Guides 220 More Crochet Stitches. This has been the absolute best book I've seen showing where the hook should go, because all threads are illustrated instead of the more basic illustrations that don't show all the threads. It also has some great instructions for working in the round.

Second would probably be either the Ultimate Knitting and Crochet Stitches by Reader's Digest or The Crochet Stitch Bible. Both of those are good for lots of different types of stitches.

I'd also get a nice scrap afghan pattern book. Those books tend to give you a nice variety of stripes, squares, granny squares, etc to practice on.

I would say the Crochet stitch Bible is one I wouldn't want to be without. I also recommend SNB Crochet book too. I think it has some very good information in it too.

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...

This is it,

314CDXV0H9L._SL125_.jpg

Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker

I think that's a good book to have in the library. I agree, with the internet, I never did really buy any "how to" books, just books with some good patterns to work on. :hook Also I would suggest buying leaflets at a local craft store that have interesting items. It's always easier to work on and learn crocheting when the item you're making is interesting to you. This could be a scarf, shawl, dishcloth, etc.

I've also learned a lot from Donna Kooler's Crochet Encyclopedia and SNB Happy Hooker. Another book that I like is "How To Crochet" by Pauline Turner. It has very good basic information for beginners, clear illustrations and a variety of stitch patterns. Helped me a lot and complemented the other resources very well.

The Harmony Guide to Crocheting - my absolute favorite.

Its probably not the book you want to learn how to crochet from the beginning. But once you have the basics, this is an invaluable reference to techniques and stitches. I have spent hours just making swatches of interesting stitches from that book. One of the best features about this book is that all designs are given with both written directions AND charts. (Its like going on MapQuest and getting both the written directions and the map together - you can visualize where you are going.)

Archived