Thanking my Nana from across the years

earlyJuly026.jpg

When I was 12 my Nana, who had already introduced me to crochet, let me pick out whatever afghan I would like her to make for me, and my mother was not permitted to say nay to any choice I made! This is what I chose and I have never regretted this, despite my Mom's warning that one day I'd regret the "lack of pretty colors" and the "boringness" of it. My older siblings all chose much flashier afghans and now wish they'd gone the more traditional route as I did. (And I'm the one who was the rebel in the 60s!)

As you can see it has lasted these 50+ years just fine and is as fashionably fresh today as it was when the Bernat pattern book first showed it.

After all these years I still dearly love my Nana and relish the name for myself now.

It's a beautiful afghan and a beautiful story.

I have an afghan from my dear grandma that she kept in her car for years. And it's a wool afghan. Grandma never crocheted but my aunt did and she was my crochet buddy.

Nana:

Often when I crochet I think sweet thoughts of my mother-in-law and the beautiful afghans she made. I wish I had told her more often what they meant to me. It is gratifying to go to my sons' homes and see them spread out across the back of their sofas...although one son's girlfriend says it's more fashionable now to display them in a basket!

I'll bet the things you crochet will be cherished by your grandchildren years and years from now.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your beautiful afghan.

That is gorgeous, and I love the story of your sweet memories.

Is there another picture which zooms in a little more on this beauty? I'd love to see it "up close."

~ Joy

I posted a close-up for you to see on the original thread.

Nana:

Often when I crochet I think sweet thoughts of my mother-in-law and the beautiful afghans she made. I wish I had told her more often what they meant to me. It is gratifying to go to my sons' homes and see them spread out across the back of their sofas...although one son's girlfriend says it's more fashionable now to display them in a basket!

I'll bet the things you crochet will be cherished by your grandchildren years and years from now.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your beautiful afghan.

my sister would agree about the items being placed in baskets ... and in specialty stores it does indeed look lovely ... but I love to USE this afghan and it's here for anyone to use when the Vermont January evening gets a tad cool.

That afghan looks gorgeous! I'd love to see a bigger picture, and some close ups.

I've posted the close-up on the original thread and (hopefully) here is a link to the original larger pix

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z154/m3site/Crochetville/?action=view&current=CopyofearlyJuly026.jpg

please let me know if I didn't do this URL part right!

Archived