First post has first afghan! :)

Vickietoria

Hi everyone! I love reading through all the posts here on the charity area, because there are so many giving wonderful people!

"From the Heart of Texas" is a charity where we pick a different charity each month to craft for. This month, we're helping a teen shelter. I'd really like to make some neat scrap (but they don't look scrap hopefully...) blankets for the teens, to help them know someone cares about them. I've found this neat pattern by Chris Simon, and I think it's perfect! The rings in the middle remind me of how we're all connected to eachother, and how we all depend on eachother. Perhaps this will bring solice to a wondering teen? Also, if done in the right colors, I think it could be for a girl or a boy. So, what I'd like to do is this...

Anyone who is interested in making a square all you do is... Pick 2 or 4 colors for the center rings, black for the background, 2 colors for the sc, ch 2 rows, and black for the last row (s). I think the black will be neat for boys or girls, and will really tie it all together. From experience, I had to add a few rows to the end to make it 12", so whatever you've got to do to make it right, would be perfect. I'm also going to have traditional grannies checkering it, so that the squares with the rings are highlighted more. Just however many rows make it to 12" square, would be great. Typically, mine are 9-11 rows to make it 12", just whatever yours is, solid black.

As far as brands of yarn, they don't matter to me, as long as they're worsted weight acrylic, Red Heart kind of idea. I know that Caron Simply soft is worsted weight acrylic, but it's got a shiny thinner type feel, so I'd rather just stick to the Red Heart type. Caron Perfect Match would work, but the Simply Soft is just too thin and soft. I hope this doesn't keep anyone from participating, but I really feel like it'd make a more uniform looking afghan if all the yarn looks more similar.

Thank you anyone who can help! I'm only going to be doing this during July (and it'll probably overflow into August, but that's ok). Our charity changes each month, so there's always something new going on. However, we take squares all year long, so you can send whatever you'd like whenever, it's just that this particular project, I'd like to finish by the start of August. If you'd like my address, please PM me. Thanks so much!!

Victoria

Addition:

Hi! I've been receiving some beautiful squares, and so far, have assembled on afghan already! 2003_0101Ringblanket0002.jpg

It just so happened that several of you sent the ring squares that had yellow in it, and they happened to be the SAME yellow! Then, the one in the middle is a verigated rainbow color. I've got 7 ring squares, and 4 promised solid black ones in the mail, and will have enough for a second afghan soon. I can't wait to post it! If you haven't sent in your square, please do by Monday, as I'm moving, and I wouldn't want it to get lost in the mail. Also, I would like to deliver these before I move, so that I don't have to worry about paying the postage for them. Thank you all for your hard work!! :)

Oh! Don't feel like you have to use a certain color, these just happened to be yellow, but the next one will have more of a variety. I think either way looks wonderful, and the love you sent with them is wonderful as well. This will really make a teen's day when they receive it.

Thank you all so much!

This is a nice idea. I have never done this pattern though, I guess it is time to try it. It may be difficult for some that may want to help but I think it is a wonderful square with the meaning attached. I hope that you get lots of squares.

Vickie, I can't work too well with black. Would you like for me to make the inner part of this square and send that to you? I can make and join the four circles easily enough.

Hi Salos, that sounds great! As for anyone who finds the pattern too difficult, I'd also like traditional grannies (solid black please) to go with the Waldo's Squares. Believe me, it took a couple tries to get the center just right, but once you get it, it's surprising how easy it is. :) Thank you to anyone who would like to help out with this! I know everyone is busy with lots of other charity things, but I thought I would ask if anyone wants to do one or two squares for this month. Thanks so much for everyone who even reads this post!

Victoria

Great! I can't wait to start seeing the colors everyone picks out. I like this square because it looks amazing even with scrap yarns, and doesn't take much of the scrap to make the square. Thank you everyone who wants to help! :) I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Victoria

How big are these squares suppose to be 6" or 8" or what. I would love to do one, as a matter of fact I'm working on it now! Just found out I should have read better 12" square.

Marina, THANK you so much!! Ladies, she sent me 2 of the square in the picture above, and they're beautiful!! :) Also, I received the center part (and a little yarn left over for the outter rows) from Salos, and here's a picture:

2003_0101teenghansquares0001.jpg

It's super cute, and I can't wait to see what it looks like with black around it. Thank you so so so much ladies!! Anyone who would like to make these, just try to get it in the mail by the end of the month, and that'd be perfect. :) This will be a beautiful afghan!

Victoria:manyheart

Victoria

I will help with the solid black grannies, I will send you a PM for your addy

I love helping the teens....

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm excited to announce that I've got the first afghan done! I've lost the battery charger for my digital camera (we're packing to move, so it's probably just in a box somewhere) but I hope to get to the store to just buy some regular ones for the time being. It looks great! I've got about 7 more ring squares left, and a promise of 4 plain grannies on their way, and then we've got enough for another afghan! :) I am really excited about this, as they're looking great, and I know a teen will love them. Thank you all so much for your donations! If you haven't sent the square yet, but you've made it, please send it soon. We're about to move, and I'd like to donate these to my charity group before I move. Our move date is August 13th, so if you could get it in the mail over the weekend, or Monday at the latest, that would be wonderful! If you haven't started it yet, but told me you would, don't worry about it. :) I understand that things get busy! I'd rather not have squares lost in the mail since we're moving, so if you can't mail it this weekend, I totally understand, and there are no hard feelings. :)

You are all so wonderful! Thank you for the beautiful squares!

Victoria

Archived