Which stitch uses the most yarn?

KariM

Question

I'm making a baby blanket - no pattern, just stripes of colors.

I'd rather not go broke buying yarn.

So I'm curious - do different stitches use more yarn?

If I make the blanket in all single crochet will I end up using more yarn than if I do it all in HDC?

Or does it all even out in the end?

Anyone know?

8 answers to this question

First off I don't know for sure, but I would think the tighter the stitch, sc etc would use more than a loose stitch, but I don't know for sure.. anyone take the time to see??

Your question intrigued me. I have no way to weigh yarn, so I grabbed a tiny ball of yarn, and made a swatch with SC, frogged it and made one with DC. Same LENGTH of yarn, same hook, same number of stitches across.

In sc, I got 2" exactly before running out of yarn at the end of the row, with 1 inch of yarn to spare.

In DC, I got a completed rectangle 2" tall (same as SC swatch) PLUS another 2/3 of a row. So, DC uses less yarn than SC, or at least less yarn covers more territory.

I feel like one of the Mythbusters :-) I was guessing same as Vonny, thinking that more YOs would mean more yarn used. But, SC uses more stiches to cover a given area than DC, so I guess that's what matters. Interesting!

I've been told that the longer the stitch, the less yarn you use. Slip stitch would be the one that uses the most yarn, if you are trying to save yarn, that would not be good for you. Though it does make a great rippling affect. Your best bet would be the treble crochet. You could also try bigger hooks, making the holes bigger would stretch out the yarn as far as possible.

If you are making a baby blanket and wanting to minimize yarn usage, I'd go with a V stitch. Here is a beautiful baby blanket from Bernat that I've made before. Three balls of baby yarn.

Overall, I think the bullion stitch probably takes up the most yarn, as it is highly textured and you wrap the yarn several times for each stitch.

I have found that the tunisian stitch or afghan uses up a lot of yarn if I understood your question correctly.Iam pretty sure there a difference because of how many times you have to yarn over or the like. But I agree with noQcrocheter.

that is a really good question, I have no idea, it probably depends on the yarn, hook, and tension of your stitches, maybe make a few swatches (all the same sizes) and weigh them ????

First off I don't know for sure, but I would think the tighter the stitch, sc etc would use more than a loose stitch, but I don't know for sure.. anyone take the time to see??

Archived