How do you guys do it????? (kitchen cotton)

My hands are

KILLING ME!!!!!

How do you work with this stuff?!?!? I tried an H and it's just a little too big. I want to make a hotpad to put under my baking dish and I'm really scared of making something that big. I might not be able to hold a hook for days afterwards!

I have made 2 so called pot holders and I use them for hot pads. You had to make two and put them together and they are thick enough to be a hot pad.

I know what you mean about the hands hurting. I don't know why the pot holders and hot pads hurt so bad. I have to put my hook down for a couple of days afterwards.

Go figure.:hook

i have never had a problem with kitchen cotton, and i have knitted full shirts with it (two tanktops for myself and one for a 3 yr old little girl) but i do know the flight of the rough yarns, they feel like sandpaper going through your hands, not those i hate! and anything that gives off fuzz im not a fan of either.

I find that I need to use my lighted hooks, they have a bigger handle and my hand does not hurt as much. Though before my aunt found them I used the Clover Soft touch hooks. The larger handle makes it easier.

OK, I must be an idiot. I've been working with cotton a TON lately (market totes, dishcloths, bath poufs) and it doesn't bother my hands, but could this have contributed to tension problems in my arms and upper back/shoulders? Is that what I've suffered from? I'm confused. What problems, exactly, are you experiencing. I LOVE cotton and don't wanna stop working with it.

Joyce

I would agree that the problem is probably your tension. I have crocheted about 35 purses in the past 3 months using worsted weight cotton, and hooks size F through G7, and have had no problems . I crochet a few hours everyday, and have had no problems with my hands, or shoulders or anything else. I love using cotton.

I find my hands hurt when using a tighter pattern and tension ... and they hurt less (or not at all) on the lacier, more open patterns when working with cotton. I just switch between projects if my hands hurt too much.

I love dishcloth cotton. I'm working on my 2nd-3rd tank top.

Yeah, yeah I know it's for dishcloths :). In the summer, I sometimes spend entire weekends at the track in the heat and it gets so miserably hot out there. I thought this would be a nice thing to try.

It's the sugar and cream and it's just my hands. they ache afterwards.

It's not bad if I strand it with RH - even with an I hook. I just don't think it glides smoothly.

Is there a trick to using it?

I do have a killer grip.

There is no trick that I know of, just relax your tension. It definitely doesn't glide like acrylic yarn. I think it is another one of those "practice and find the right way for you" type of things. It does make up some beautiful things so I wouldn't quit!

Archived