Good books for beginners

RachelChochet

I didn't buy any books to learn. I used Knitting Help right here, videos really helped me. Then find somethings you would like to try and just do it.

This scarf here is great because you learn knits and purls. Check out Lion Brand free Road Scarf pattern.

Get a color of ww yarn you like. Use #10 needles but you might be able to do something smaller. If you can manage it pick up both a set of bamboo and a set of metal needles. At first bamboo is helpful because the yarn doesn't fall off as easily. If you find bamboo hard try the metal needles.

I suggest is you pick out one of the patterns above or something else that sounds good to you. Then head over to knitting help.com and start by casting, then just do it.

Good luck.

I agree with Samantha that knittinghelp.com has been my salvation! there are so many things online that buying is almost a last resort!

I find it very hard to knit with anything but metal needles. I first tried with plastics as I had those on hand and found them very tiresome, but the metals work for me. I don't have access to bamboo or any other kind of wooden needles. It's all a matter of preference and as with crochet and hooks and patterns etc you will need to find what works for you. I most certainly don't hold the yarn like almost all pics show, it just wont work. Find your groove :)

It might be nice to start with a project that will finish quicker than a scarf (they can take ages!). Maybe a dishcloth would be a good place. Again it's all up to you :) It's nice to see quick results and if you muck up know that you're not ruining something too much. Gets pretty disheartening otherwise, as with all learning processes. Good luck! I am still learning myself.

Thirding the KnittingHelp love. I tried to learn from a book 10 years ago. Couldn't even figure out how to cast on. Then I found KnittingHelp. The videos really helped. Now I'm knitting my first scarf. :knit

I concur with Knitting Help, also. But for books, you can't beat Stitch 'N' B*tch by Debbie Stoller. I've heard that Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti is excellent, too. Her crochet equivalent was good.

I taught myself from the readers digest complete guide to needlework. Now that CD/DVDs are available (they weren't when I learned over 35 years ago), there are two CD's you can buy for under $10 each, Knitting Made Easy and Crochet Made Easy which show videos of basic stitches, casting on and off, etc, if you cannot view the videos at http://www.knittinghelp.com which is the easiest way to learn basic techniques. http://www.knitty.com has excellent how to articles as well.

I'm not sure cotton yarn for a dishchloth is a good first project if you have never tried knitting. Cotton yarn doesn't give much. I'm just sharing my experience here though, this might work for you just fine.

Just because you haven't finished the scarf doesn't mean you can't start another knit project as soon as you feel comfortable with knitting and purling. After a basic scarf I recommend looking for something that helps you learn decreasing and or increasing and dishcloths are great for that , when you do lacey patterns.

I still have not finished my first project I started which is the Harry Potter scarf. I have knit 2 pairs of socks and several dishcloths.

You could make a really skinny scarf too. Cast on 20 stitches and just knit both sides for 10 rounds (garter stitch) then knit one side and purl the other(knit stitch) for 10 rounds , just keep repeating that.

One kid's knitting book has patterns for bean bags. I'm sure you can find patterns online at KPC. If you don't have kids to knit for then you can make them sachet bags instead.

:cheer Go to the Children's Craft section at your local Library.:cheer

They usually have knitting books which sometimes just have patterns rather than actual help on how to do the knitting but if you start on something simple, you will learn as you go.

Remember that sometimes they stage pictures for books so dont really show you how to hold the yarn and needles properly. It can be a bit confusing for a beginner.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I learned to crochet and knit with this book: Maran Illustrated Knitting and Crocheting

It's got lots of clear pictures and good step by step instructions.

And anything I couldn't figure out, I went online to the previously mentioned KnittingHelp.com

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I have only one book of basic stitches that I use rarely but comes in handy for a quick review. I love the library. I can come out with tons of books on knitting and crocheting. I have also seen that they have cd's on either craft. I am the type that would have loved to see the stitch done. I agree with the rest of you, knittinghelp.com is a great place to learn.

In the beginning a long time ago, I would make swatches of a stitch using 10 cast ons until I mastered that stitch or pattern. I started making dishcloths because it was fast and it let me practice stitches that I didn't even realize I could do. They are very rewarding to the new knitter. There are so many knitted patterns on the internet and many only use knit or purl. And when your done, you have something pretty to was dishes with or quick gifts for your friends.

I had asked my mom to teach me a few years ago. Instead I got a velvet box with 5 skiens of yarn and a " My knitting Teacher" book and kit ( from Susan Bates) for Christmas. I have been trying to get better at knitting ever since. I have made a few things ( but lets face it, they were all SQUARE or RECTANGLE) I have yet to master anything beyond that. I did buy a small blue loom, and made some things with that...but I really like to knit. I like the way the needles feel and 'click' when I am busy. However, IF I drop a stitch. well, that is the end of the road for me...because then I have to start all over from the beggining. I really need to learn how to pick up dropped stitches .

Archived