Ideas for a nurse?

Vickietoria

Hi everyone! I'm about to send some items that our charity group has made for the Children's Hospital, and the idea came that we should do something for the nurses there too. Do you guys have any ideas of things we can make OR buy just to show them that we appreciate their work as well? I mean, it has to be hard to be a nurse, especially for the NICU where there is so much sadness... Anytime a child is sick it is really hard on everyone, so I can imagine the nurses have a hard time of it. They work hard anyway, with adults or kids, running around making sure they have everything they need. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe a candy dish for them with chocolates, or...? Really, that's my only idea, and I don't have a pattern for an easy candy dish. I figure I can make a hat type idea, perhaps with a pretty design, out of 10 thread, then starch it well, and call that a dish? Anyway... I'm not asking for people to make things, just brainstorm ideas. You guys are so wonderful here!!:hug

Victoria:manyheart

Hi!

The latest Crochet Today magazine has a nice pattern for a crocheted candy bowl. As for something to buy, I'd recommend some good hand lotion. When my son was in the hospital I had to wash my hands a lot and they got pretty dry. I bet the same is true for the nurses. . .

You are awesome to do this!

Linda Y

You know, someone else said something about a stethescope cover... I'm having a hard time picturing what that would look like... Do you have a pattern that I could get a better idea what that is? Sounds like something neat though. I bet their neck gets sore putting it on and off all day.

Hand lotion though... Sounds great! They could use it after work (scent might make patients sick or something) and that'd probably be a good idea! When I worked fast food, we had to wash our hands, then use this sanitizing cream, and if you had a cut or something, then the cream (which was largly rubbing alcohol) then it would sting, especially if hands were chapped just a little.

Thanks for the ideas! Any more? Someone suggested to me mints, and writing pens/pads of paper. I'm excited about doing this!

Victoria

Maybe a crocheted stethoscope cover? A crocheted lanyard for their badges?

I found a pattern for a fabric stethoscope cover (read the comments there too for additional info.) But a crocheted lanyard (with beads added too maybe?) for their badges would be pretty and practical. I couldn't find a pattern but someone here at the Ville might have one to share.

How about a small gift basket consisting of a lanyard and a small container of an unscented and rich hand cream for each nurse. And add large boxes of chocolates and hard candy mints for them to share.

Hi!

The latest Crochet Today magazine has a nice pattern for a crocheted candy bowl. As for something to buy, I'd recommend some good hand lotion. When my son was in the hospital I had to wash my hands a lot and they got pretty dry. I bet the same is true for the nurses. . .

You are awesome to do this!

Linda Y

I think that's a great idea! I do have a recipe somewhere for really great home-made hand cream (something like a tub of handcream from the dollar store, vaseline and some hand lotion ... something like that - try googling for it - sorry I don't have it on this computer). You cold put it in a pretty little jar and crochet a topper for the jar.

I also think fresh-baked cookies would be appreciated. It's a great thing to bring to the nurses/doctors when visiting a patient.

It's so nice of you to think of the caregivers as well!

Fran

Perfect idea, the hand lotion - but UNSCENTED...

Also: hard candies to suck on - a sugar rush for busy times, without too many calories.

Wow! Thanks for the ideas ladies! :) I would like to make regular trips to the hospital to donate items (probably 4 times a year or so?) and these ideas are great for when I go each time. Thanks! If you think of something else, feel free to post!

Victoria

As a Nurses aid and nowing many nurses, the cookies or any goodies like that would be greatly appreciated! The stethascope covers would be really nice also along with the crocheted lanyard with beads to make them pretty. The lotion would be great also...it could be in a big container as most places will let the nurses have a container of lotion at the nurses station. Just make sure it isn't too strongly sented. You could make just a bunch of small doilies for them to take home also.

• 2 months later...

I am a nurse myself, LPN, so I thought I might could give a little insight in to gifts for nurses.

The hand lotion is a great idea, but check with the facility where you plan to donate it, first, because some facilities have restrictions on the type of lotion nurses can use.

Also, it must not be in a jar, where you have to reach in and get a bit of it. It must in a pump, to dispense a small amount. That is an infection control issue.

Actually, if you wanted to donate small tubes of lotion for nurses, where each nurse had their own small tube to keep in their pocket, would be really great.

That way a nurse can use from her own tube. You can find tubes of good lotion, cheap, say for 50 cents each. Something that offers good deep moisturizing, not strongly scented. And check with the hospital first for restrictions.

The crocheted beaded lanyard in my opinion, is a great idea.

The stheoscope cover is a good idea.

Candy, hard candy, low calorie might be a good idea. You could put THAT in a jar, with a crocheted topper for the jar. That would not be a problem.

We do that, similar, on my job. Someone is always bringing a bit of hard candy and putting it in a bowl, where everyone can get a piece.

Another suggestion..........the individual sized tubes of alcohol hand cleansers, would also be a good gift, along with the individual sized hand cream.

I would really like the beaded lanyard pattern if anyone finds/makes one!! I have many nurse friends who would LOVE those! And with Christmas coming up... :0)

I know my friend uses lotion ALL the time (one of the nurses). I see her every couple days and she's always putting lotion on and says she uses it a lot at work because not only the hand washing, but the gloves make her hands chapped, so she has to keep the moisturized.

She also said that lanyards are an awesome thing for them. Ive seen ones with safty-pins that clip to the shirt. A more pretty alternative than only the ones they clip onto their shirts. I thought about making those. I guess that will be my alternative if there's no one with a pattern :0(

~~Cheri~~

I thought of a few more ideas.

chapstick

small tubes of shower gel

cuticle cream

emory boards

foot and callous cream

Anything to refresh and revive a tired nurse, would be most appreciated.

As a student nurse, I just wanna say, bear in mind that anything you make to be used on the wards will need to be washable on very high temperatures for hygiene purposes. :) Just wanted to say that because you don't want to make something that could easily get ruined, because everyone involved would be disappointed if it DID accidentally get ruined.

I have a pattern, kind of my own, for cross bookmarks. I am planing on making some for the nurses at the hospital where my daughter was born, they were so wonderful! If you would like the pattern, I can type it up for you. Just PM me if you would like it.

If you are thinking a little goodie bag for each nurse then you could add a simple crocheted lavender sachet. Two 2-3inch grannie squares crocheted together with a chain for a loop and the net pillow of lavender goes inside before you close the sachet and add the loop.

I am busy making these for my local hospice. And you could make the goodie bag itself if you had the time out of two larger grannie squares 6-8 inches crocheted together with a loop and button or drawstring fastening. I am doing these too at the moment and they are good fun and use up scrap yarn!

I am a very BASIC person with my crochet still so I have to make simple Grannie squares go a long way. If you want pictures of what I am talking about email me! Good luck and I don't know if it is the same in the USA but over here in the UK it is travel section of chemist shops (or drug stores) that have the great small individual sized tubes of hand cream etc.

Maybe a crocheted stethoscope cover? A crocheted lanyard for their badges?

I am an RN and I love the lanyard idea, maybe not the stethoscope cover too many cooties in the hospital I wipe mine doun every time I leave a room, I would proudly wear a laynard made special though! pump lotion too would be great unsented of course. I also like the candy dish idea even though I am on a diet so maybe some sugar free stuff too.

Anna

As a nurse in critical care , just some observations.

First of all, I think it's great that you want to recognize the nurses. :)

Next :

Any lotions have to be compatible with latesx gloves -- some lotions won't work (Bath and Body works is a big NO NO where I work).

Stethoscope covers are a NO NO where I work as well, due to sanitation problems. You cannot clean it between patients.

Lanyards -- where I work, they have to have immediate release latches, in case they get caught on something. That way you / or your patient doesn't get hurt, choked, etc.

Archived