Are crochet hooks allowed on airplanes?

:hook I have to fly up north because my father passed away yesterday, and I'm wondering if I can crochet on the plane. Or do I need to pack it in my luggage?

I took mine, no problems. Check tsa's website, it says "knitting and crochet needles" are OK. I took that to mean hooks were OK, too. :)

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Yes, for the third time this week, hooks and snips are allowed. (Sorry, I don't mean to be grumpy, it's just that this keeps surfacing every few days/weeks...)

I've been traveling, almost weekly at times, with my aluminum hooks and small snips for 2 years now. You don't have to pull them out or explain them or anything. They rarely give my bag a second glance and I've got 6-8 crochet hooks and enough computer wires to wire a small office in it.

Don't apologize! I'm sorry, I'd had a bad night sleeping and was typing grumpy. I should have seen that you're a new neighbor and probably hadn't had time to poke around and find all the wonderous information that is hiding here.

baxjul, we flew over spring break and had no trouble taking crochet hooks. I didnt believe the website mentioned above, but like she said, they never even blinked. I had 4 crochet hooks stuck in balls of yarn. I was still a little nervous though everytime I went through security.

Sorry to hear about your dad. My mom died last year and I am amazed you are even thinking straight enough to be online and checking on this.

Take care, Debbie

You can diffenently take crochet hooks on the plane. My dad works for the TSA and let me know I could take them when I was flying last Christmas. Makes the time go by much faster. Sorry about your dad.:(

It's been a year since I last flew. I took a plastic hook and used fingernail clippers to cut the yarn. I have heard that it is ok to take metal hooks in carryon luggage.

condolences on the loss of your father-may he be in "gan eden"

no problems on either jetblue or us airways with metal or wooden hooks

My condolences on the loss of your father.

And, as everyone else has said, crochet hooks are OK. I took 8 aluminum hooks in a separate bag with my yarn and other crochet stuff and no one asked me any questions. I even took a pair of 5" sharp-nosed Fiskars scissors (I forgot that they were under the yarn.) I have since bought a pair of 5" blunt-nose Fiskars scissors especially for traveling though.

And it's OK to ask questions that have been asked before. New folks are joining everyday who don't know that the questions they ask have been asked and answered before. And even folks who have been here a while have not read every post.

Have a safe trip and may your crocheting help you endure this sad time that you're going through.

And, as everyone else has said, crochet hooks are OK. I took 8 aluminum hooks in a separate bag with my yarn and other crochet stuff and no one asked me any questions.

Were they with your carry-on luggage though? I'm going to Chain Link next month, and I want to take my sachel with all my crochet hooks. However we don't want to check our bags.

Baxjul...thinking of you at this time of loss. :manyheart

Yep, the hooks were in my carry-on luggage. As a matter of fact, the hooks, the scissors and some of my yarn were in a clear vinyl tote. (The rest of my yarn was in a bag with my clothes that I had to check because of size.)

I made it here! I took all of my crochet hooks, and my scissors on the plane in my carry on. No one questioned me. Thanks for all of the well wishes.

And it's OK to ask questions that have been asked before. New folks are joining everyday who don't know that the questions they ask have been asked and answered before. And even folks who have been here a while have not read every post.

Have a safe trip and may your crocheting help you endure this sad time that you're going through.

Thank you for saying this. Sometimes people don't have time or peace of mind to do a search.

Archived