Thread tension hurting my hands

sonnets_and_stitches

Question

Okay, you thread enthusiasts, tell me how you do it. I'm working on my first thread project (a decorative scarf) and it looks very elegant and classy. The problem is that I can't go more than a few rows without my hands hurting terribly! These are short rows too - the longest is 15 stitches!

I think it's size 10 thread, but I'm not sure because the store sold it to me without the wrapper (.99 cents that way) and I'm inexperienced in the ways of thread. I'm using a 2.75 mm hook, which is doing well in the stitches. But the cotton seems so slick that I have to make the stitches really tight. That makes my hands tense. Should I go down a hook size? The next smallest I have is 1.65 mm, and that seems very much smaller.

~ Joy

8 answers to this question

Since you are new to thread crochet expect this to happen. :( You are used to having to hold the ww lightly and it stay in your hand and it is much larger than the thread. The thread probably almost feels like it is going to slip out of your hands if you hold it loosley yes? That is cause the size is so different from one to the other. If your project can be done in a size 3 thread try that first to get accustomed to the smaller size then work down to the size 10. That may help. As for telling you how to hold it that is kinda like me telling you how to hold your hook. Whatever feels comfortable to you.

I'm in the same boat. I'm doing my first thread project. What helped me a bit was making a clay handle for the hook so there was actually something to hold onto. (I just rolled some clay around half of the hook, made sure it was comfortable to hold, then baked it.)

Man, I'm with you there. I can barely make it through a bookmark before I have to put it down. It just kills my yarn holding hand. I don't know how people do huge projects with that stuff.

I have the opposite problem. My hands hurt when I use yarn, I am making a prayer shawl and trying to get it done and my hands are killing me, but with thread I can crochet for hours and hours and no problem, must be what we get used to using..... Good luck on your thread project...

I am like Vonnie, my hands hurt if I use yarn, and yet I can crochet all day with thread. Even the smallest.

If you are think you are using a size 10 thread then you really might be better off with the 1.65 hook. That is the most common size hook used with that size thread. You may be fighting using the larger hook.

I switched to the smaller hook and it's working much better. I'm finding that I'm using my thumb (!) much more with the thread, and that seems to help, too. Also I'm allowing almost no slack on my thread-threading hand. With yarn, I can have slack to my knees without a problem.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Archived