63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

20th square?! :woo Way to go, Luv2stitch - living up to your handle, I see :lol

.....I've decided to use Simply Soft Victorian Rose and Red Heart Frosty Green....
Those will be lovely together - and the differing textures will add interest, too. Do you think you'll use different hook sizes to handle the different weights of simply soft and RH? I've seen a discussion on this before, can't remember which thread right now, and I know people have combined them before. I think they used a hook one size larger for the simply soft than for the RH. But RH has such pretty variegateds, it's worth trying to combine them - I've got a WIM for RH Ocean and SS light green and light blue (when I finish my current WIPs-in-severe-danger-of-becoming-UFOs :eek). Still haven't taken my 8th/9th squares off of the back burner - working bookmarks right now for the swap - threadwork is much easier to take on travel!

Keep on hookin' - and if 63 seems too daunting, you can always make two separate blankets out of the squares - I intend to. Mine are turning out around 8" and with the sashing I wanted to add, 63 of those babies would make an enormous cover. On the other hand, adding 7 more patterns from a different source gives me 35 squares for 2 separate afghans - one for my best buddy, one for me!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does the Wool-Ease work up? Is it a pretty thick result? Or is it about the same as an acrylic worsted? And does it felt? Because I see it at the store and I'd love to make something out of it (they have some great colors!), but I get the feeling that not only will I end up with an afghan or sock with the thickness of a pillow, but then it will felt down to doll size the minute I wash it. :yarn

It doesn't feel any thicker than acrylic worsted to me, but it is fuzzier. This is the first thing I've made with it, and I'm using an I hook. The solid squares (like the all SC square) drape well, but don't look hole-y at all.

My understanding (and I sure hope it's right!) is that Wool-Ease doesn't felt at all. This is disappointing to those who get it for the wool content and end up with a tote bag sized purse!! But it is just what I want.

I still plan on washing it in cold or warm, just to be on the safe side!

Do you think you'll use different hook sizes to handle the different weights of simply soft and RH?

I'm halfway there! (32) The completed squares so far are posted in my photo album. You can also pop over to my blog to see them but I've only been posting them four at a time on the blog.

I haven't been changing the hook size, as long as I can get the 27 edging stitches around the square and have it as close to 7" as possible.

Hi Everyone:) -

It's so good to see people continue to work on this. I am back after months off, and I hope to put an end , I mean complete, this lovely afghan. I just discovered, that I made a mistake for the edging and have had to remove some. However, I have 19 squares done (using my stash in various colors) and am hoping to have enough to actually begin joining two rows today. I do not like to leave joining to the end, and do the squares row by row to join as I go. However, I may take PBLKNP's advice and block first. Good luck everyone.

I really would like to sign up, but it looks like the form got hacked? Or at the very least, the link is going to an error page.

So, I'm going to be starting soon, and checking back for the form.

Otherwise, you can check out the blog at http://www.justanotherblog.com.

I'll start posting stuff there as I get it done. I've had this book for years. it will be nice to clean out some of the stash. :yay

Hi Angi,

Welcome to the CAL. I don't think that form has been working for months and months. It didn't work when I tried to sign up, which was several months ago. There always seem to be a few working on this. I'll be looking forward to reading about your progress!

Diane

Thanks for the info, KateCrochets! I'll have to grab a skein of Wool-Ease the next time I'm at the lys.

luv2stitch - Your squares look great! Thanks for posting them....I'm just starting this afghan and am trying to get enthusiastic about it :reyes

I've hit a slump myself actually. It's hard to motivate myself to carve out even a small chunk of time to work on it or any of my other crochet projects.

Anyone else had this problem? And if so, how did you get back into the hook of things?

I'm kind of in a slump, too. I am making my 63 Squares afghan as a secret present for my DH, so I can only work on it while he is at work. But I have so many other projects, and so little crochet time then!

This is the second "squares" afghan I've started... and I havn't finished the first one yet, either! I thought I could keep with this one because each square is different; I get so bored with repetition, and while I can keep with an afghan, the starting of each square just adds something....

I haven't thrown in the towel, yet, though! In fact, realizing that I'm drifting, I'm going to make it a priority tonight to do at least 1 square!

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while, but I'm STILL sewing the squares together! Doing the actual crocheting was fun, but this is just tedious. I'm going to try to get them all sewn together by this weekend, so that I can do the border...

Well, I'm FINALLY DONE! :yay

Unfortunately, I took pictures with my digital camera, and now they won't download to the computer for some reason...instead, the same damn picture of my backyard in the middle of winter keeps downloading, and nothing else. When we finally figure out what's wrong, I'll post a picture.

Now, we just have to hope the bride is actually going to get married. :eek If not, I'm saving it for her Christmas present.

I want to thank ALL of you for all your support. I swear, if I'd had to do this alone, I don't think I would have had the oomph to get through it... :manyheart

:cheer:yayCongratulations, Pam! :cheer:yay

It must feel good to be finished. I hope you figure out the picture situation - I would love to see a photo!

Well, I'm FINALLY DONE! :yay

Congratulations! Yippee! You have given me that extra burst of energy to actually finish this project. I can't wait to see the pictures.

I have 46 squares done so far and I can almost feel the finish line. I wanted to stitch some of the strips together to get it out of the way but when I looked at the diagram I noticed that I haven't done a couple of the squares needed for that particular strip yet. So I guess I have to wait until I'm all done with all 63.

I just can't bring myself to mix the squares around. I have to follow the diagram. I have no idea why I think there are crochet police out there or if anyone would even notice. It's one of those quirky things...I have to follow the directions.

:thinkok, the 63 squares crochet heirloom booklet i have. the squares are off- white and on the cover of the booklet there is a wooden duck. i have missplaced this booklet and do not remember the number. has anyone done this project? it one of my ufo/so/wip.:P

Countingsts, sorry but I haven't done the project from the booklet you have. At least not from the cover description. The 63 sq booklet that I'm working from has a spinning wheel, some slippers, some dried flowers, and I forget what else, on it...

The book you have is the 63 More Easy to Crochet Pattern Stitches book! I have it as well as the 63 Square book.

:thinkok, the 63 squares crochet heirloom booklet i have. the squares are off- white and on the cover of the booklet there is a wooden duck. i have missplaced this booklet and do not remember the number. has anyone done this project? it one of my ufo/so/wip.:P

Thank you to everyone for the compliments. This crochet along really inspired and motivated me to get it finished. After many years of having the pattern leaflet in my collection it was a relief to actually get the afghan done.

I am giving this afghan to my college sophomore daughter and will be looking around for another pattern to make for my two teen sons. I enjoyed the process of making the Heirloom Afghan and I liked that the squares were solid colors instead of having to weave in the ends of multiple colors. However, I'm not sure I would do all of those popcorns, clusters and puffs again. :eek

Thanks again for the encouragement and for sharing all of your tips and hints.

Alrighty. I have my ball of yarn and my hook sitting on the kitchen table, so when I have a minute in the evenings I don't have any excuse for not picking up the current square.

But I realize that I am accumulating squares; they're piled up in my living room under my coffee table. I still have to do the final edging row (because it's in a 4th color) on all of them, and I'm beginning to be concerned. Those squares are piling up!! And I'm barely halfway through them. :help: :lol

Archived