63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm finally ready to join this CAL!!!:clap I've had the book for a long time now but didn't know what colors or yarns I wanted to use on this. Now I know I'm gonna make it for my hubby for Christmas!! I'm using LionBrand Wool-ease in Natural Heather, Blue Heather, and Navy. I've worked on it for 3 days and I'm on my seventh square. I'm hoping to have it done before fall starts since I have a bunch of Christmas projects to work on.

I filled out the join form on the 63 square site but it wouldn't go thru. I'll try it again later.:think

This is gonna be huge for me since I've never made a full-size afghan, lots of baby ones but no big ones.:blush

Hi!:)

I just bought the book recently and started with my first square last night, which was the arches square. It turned out pretty good. I hope i don't have trouble with some of these squares. I've only been crocheting since October and this is also my first Crochet-Along! I started an album for my squares but there is nothing in it right now. I will try to post my first square and any others I might finish in the next few days. I only have the yarn for one of my colors so far which is Caron Simply Soft Off White. I think I'm going to maybe use navy and a dark red for the other two colors and go for the patriotic effect.

Thanks for letting me join in the fun!

Lisa in Texas

My Blog:

http://crochetmecrazy.blogspot.com/

63 Squares Photo Album

http://ritzfamily.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album10

I'm happy to report the completion of another square and almost finishing the Chevron relief square (#8). I would have completed both last night had I not received a long phone call. I was always nervous about starting #8 because I had read somewhere (maybe on a different forum--can't remember) that it was very difficult and didn't turn out well. I managed just fine but think maybe it's because I've been doing FPDC on so many other squares. I had a heck of a time figuring out what they were talking about the first time I tried FPDC. I also would like to finish this soon so that I can start Christmas projects. I was thinking of doing snowflakes to attach to each present. Happy crocheting!

Jen

Welcome to the CAL! :welcome

Rebecca/rltc

Keiyla

Jen/The Fargoan

Rebecca/woolandflax

Lisa/summerysmile

You've all been added to the list! :clap

Keiyla and Jen - I did receive your forms even though you said nothing happened when you clicked the join button. I think what may have happened is that if you have your browser set up to block popups, you may not have been taken to the thank-you page. Right now I'm using a free service to process the forms, so there is a small popup ad that displays after you click the join button, and if that was blocked, my thank-you page may not have displayed either. But no matter, because you are in now! :)

Thank you, Donna!

I'm hoping one of you can tell me what I did wrong on square 48. I alternated FPdc's around the post of the dc below the next sc's, just like it says. But instead of the square looking like the picture in the book, my square 48 looks like this:

Keiyla-square48a.JPG

Any ideas?

Gee, Keyila, I think yours kind of looks better than the one in the book! :P I haven't gotten to #48 yet. Has anybody here done this one yet? If so can you spot what Keyila did differently? Thanks! :ghug

What I'm wondering is, is that ok, or when a pattern is given, are we supposed to follow it exactly, due to some kind of copywrite laws, or something? Again, I'm very, very new to this and was extremely hesistant about changing anything at all. I couldn't see in the finished product where there might be 2 down-points from the square above it, where the squares themselves would even everything out.

Any thoughts would be very helpful, thank you.

Keiyla

I know this has pretty much already been answered, but I wanted to reiterate that you can do anything you want, anything at all, when you are making something for yourself or as a gift. Copyright comes into effect when you are selling items or if you wanted to publish your modifications of the pattern. You can't make small modifications of someone else's pattern, call it your own, and publish it. I hope that clears things up a little bit. :)

My WalMart stinks :( but Whee, I got my book on eBay last night and I'm signing up when I finish this post! I wonder how this would look done all in ivory, so it's all about the stitches? Things that make you go hmmm :think

As an aside, I bought this leaflet in a lot of 6, 36 other afghan patterns are coming with it :hook -- plus there were these other afghan pattern books that were really cheap and needed a new home and they were calling my name, and yeah. eBay is such a bad place. I'm such a bad girl. :devil I've managed to justify all of this though. I'm almost done with my daughter's afghan, should be able to start edging it tomorrow or Sunday and that'll go fast; I promised 2 afghans for Pine Ridge, and my mom wants a new afghan now that she redecorated, and my best friend has been making puppy eyes at me and dropping VERY broad hints, and my boyfriend actually allowed as how maybe if I didn't give away everything I made he might enjoy using one *hehe*, and my son's old favorite is looking worn, and and and! So I'm making afghans all around for birthday and Christmas gifts and now I'll have LOTS of choices. And lots of reasons to go yarn shopping. This is going to be soooo much fun.

PS -- Donna, when I tried to submit my form I got a message saying that you had exceeded your form submissions for June (you popular lady, you!). If you don't get mine, drop me a PM.

My W-M isn't the best either but it's the only place I can get affordable yarn. The only other place is the LYS and their prices are way above what I can afford.

It's another reason I said I'd take everyone else's tangles that they didn't want. I don't mind untangling and frogging unwanted things, it'll give me more yarn to play with :wink

:frog

Thank you, Donna!

I'm hoping one of you can tell me what I did wrong on square 48. I alternated FPdc's around the post of the dc below the next sc's, just like it says. But instead of the square looking like the picture in the book, my square 48 looks like this...

Any ideas?

Keiyla, yours looks very much like mine. The picture in the book just isn't good enough, I think, to show how nice of a square it is. I think yours is beautiful (and I LOVE the color). It doesn't look like you did anything wrong!

I've got to get cracking here, you're fast on my heels. :wink

i am making it for my friend's wedding gift next year. i would like to do an ivory/white/pastel blue combo. please let me know what colours would look best for what? i am worried it will come out like a baby blancket if i use blue so maybe i should just stick to white for the connecting and ivory for the squares? or what do you think???? or other way around?

thanks!!!

jana

www.stitch-o-rama.mycrochetblog.com

Hi everyone, I am new here. I was so excited to see the 63 pattern. I have the book and am on the Trinity stitch one, but couldn't do it and got frustrated and gave up. The pattern looks so pretty, so I am looking forward to some help.

When I clicked to join, it wouldn't let me. Is this group all filled up? Please let me know.

Thank you. I have to go dig out that book again so I can restart it.

Welcome to the CAL! No matter what the form (there's a form for this now? wow) says, you can always join in the fun!

Have you tried the trinity stitch tutorial? It really helps a lot, and once I had it figured out (thanks to the tutorial) I really like the trinity stitch. I'd hate to see you give up on it!

As for white/ivory/blue... I can't quite picture that in my mind, so I'll pass and let someone else take it over. I think white/blue or ivory/blue would look great, especially with the blue for the joining, but I'm having trouble seeing the white and ivory together. :think

There is a Trinity Stitch Tutorial? That is great news. Where is that? Sorry I am such a newbie. I can't wait to see it. I am doing a light green, rose, and then a light blue for the edging. What I have looks great. I can't wait to continue.

Jana

Since you asked for opinions on your colors, I think the pastel blue and ivory would be pretty together, then I think I'd use a darker shade of blue for the edging for the squares, maybe like a windsor blue or country blue ?

Just my 2 cents !

Julie k

thanks julie k for your colour advice!!! i am still trying to decide which yarns to use. i would like to use something very soft. i like the price of the red heart super saver, but as it is a gift, i would like something a bit softer. i must do some research! thanks again!

jana

:lol ok, what is everyone using for yarn? i would like something soft and without a lot number if possible. i am not toooo concerned about cost (within reason of course) as it is a wedding gift. love to know what everyone is using! thanks!

:lol ok, what is everyone using for yarn? i would like something soft and without a lot number if possible. i am not toooo concerned about cost (within reason of course) as it is a wedding gift. love to know what everyone is using! thanks!

I'm using Caron Simply Soft. Wonderfully soft, no dye lot, and... drumroll please... not going to break the bank. :lol

Archived