63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

Just stumbled along here through a myriad of links ;) . My name is Vims and I am from India. I would love to do this CAL as soon as I get my book back from my mil . Also I am going to do this in thread as its very hot here to work with yarn! I hope this is ok. Will probably be starting this weekend.

hugs

Vims

Guest bramble

folks,

yesterday i got both the booklet and my yarn in the mail! yay. i made the first two squares last night, but after finishing the second one to the proper gauge, i realized that i must have been delirious when i decided that the first one was good! so i'll have to re-do that one.

how does everyone measure? i mean, since these things are stretchy, i don't know how to really get an accurate measurement. i am trying to just be consistent, but thinking maybe there is a standard way that i missed?!

Yay for getting the booklet and yarn AND finishing two squares! :clap

I lay mine flat on a table and measure without stretching. If I've messed with it too much (tugging and such) I let it sit while I go do something else so it can bounce back to normal before I measure. Hope that helps you. :bigsmile I have had to use different size hooks for different squares to get them the right size. I have my hook sizes listed in my 63 squares photo album.

Guest bramble

thanks donna. it helps just to know what even one other person is doing! i will try it that way. i have been trying to do it on my lap, b/c i'm deciding whether to make another row or not, and i guess that's not the best procedure. :blush

You're welcome, bramble! Yeah, I understand about wanting to take a quickie measure to see if the darn thing's the right size or not. But I force myself to clear out a little space amongst the junk on my coffe table so I can measure on a flat surface.

Rachel, that's great that you haven't had to change hook sizes! Mine just don't come out the same size without switching hooks.

Guest bramble

donna, the other obstacles to leaving my squares anywhere are my two devilishly playful cats! in mere seconds i think that square would again be a pile of yarn if not finished off already. :rolleyes i'll have to keep a close watch. ;)

I understand! :b It's fine to just measure it without waiting as long as you don't stretch or tug it. I only let it sit if I've been messing with it, which is usually when I'm getting closer to the middle or end and I want to be sure I haven't gotten off gauge. I am constantly measuring my squares as I go along due to my Virgo perfectionism. :lol

I did the first two squares without any trouble and then last night I did the third one...BOOM- problem. It measured at 9.5 inches when completed with the H hook...I will have to redo that one with a G or something... Glad to hear that i am not the only one having issues!

Kristina

I've been working like mad on squares since Sunday; completely neglecting my afghan project! Oh well...

I don't have a digital camera.. so I thought I'd try scanning my squares [hey.. they fit in the scanner - why not?]. The only thing is... the color doesn't show so well.

I am using a nice sturdy yarn, made by Red Heart (the TLC Essentials line). So far I have just used the 2883 Country Blue (seen below). I'm also going to use 2880 Steel Blue and 2772 Lt. Country Rose. I think I'll be putting them all together with the darker of the two colors.

Here are my scans. I'm doing them OUT OF ORDER. :rock (that's just how I am.. hahah :lol )

62basketweave.jpg

#62 - Basket Weave

58softclusters.jpg

#58 - Soft Clusters

I've got two more squares finished too. #1 - Single Crochet and #11 - Horizontal Relief Stitch

Thanks for letting me share. :)

Deb, your squares look great! :clap

Piper, I hope the trinity stitch worked out for you this time. If not, let us know if we can help! :fluffy

Everyone has done such great work while I've been gone! I hope to pick mine back up this week, I've missed working on it. Deb, those squares look great! I'll never get it done if I don't work on it, and I have so many things waiting to start (and finish) that I hate to keep shoving this one aside. I need a push!!

Archived