Talk about discrimination!!!

I've never exhibited in any Agricultural Fair, so I decided to check on one of the largest in this area to see what was involved, what the categories are, etc. Apparently the rules are you can only submit one item per category. So, I looked over the categories. The first thing that hit me was there were about 3 times as many categories for knitting than for crocheting. So I looked more closely.

For Crocheting one category is:

Adult Sweater

For Knitting the category is:

Ladies'

A.

Sweater/Cardigan Plain

B.

Sweater/Cardigan w/Knitted Pattern

C.

Sweater/Cardigan w/Color Pattern

D.

Sweater/Pullover Plain

E.

Sweater/Pullover w/Knitted Pattern

F.

Sweater/Pullover w/Color Pattern

Men's

A.

Sweater/Cardigan w/Knitted Pattern

B.

Sweater/Cardigan w/Color Pattern

C.

Sweater/Pullover Plain

D.

Sweater/Pullover w/Knitted Pattern

E.

Sweater/Pullover w/Color Pattern

What's wrong with this picture? Is this common? Just sort of rubs me the wrong way!

Joan

Maybe they don't know that you can do other things with crochet... or the whole thing was set up by an evil knitter!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

huyep :cowboy

Maybe they are too ignorant to know about crochet's verstatility. Try this: enter your best sweater in the crochet category then enter a crocheted sweater in as many of the other knitted categories as you can. If they are too stupid to know how versatile crochet is, they may not be able to tell the difference between knitting and crochet.

Either way, they're dumb!

Maybe they don't know that you can do other things with crochet... or the whole thing was set up by an evil knitter!

:lol :lol :lol!!!Love it!!! You made my day!!! Thanks for sharing!

Maybe find out who the organizer is or who's in charge. Ask them about this. maybe you could enter crochet items in the knitted cateorgies or see how you can get more crochet categories in for next year. And submit all you can to show the crochet items and how great they are. And if you know any local crocheters have them submit, maybe they don't get many submissions for crochet. This will show them people do crochet.

i agree with the evil knitter part, probably one of those knitting snobs that wont sell us yarn i na yarn shop doing this whole orgainzation thing. i also agree if you have the resources make up a bunch and enter them in knit, if its a knitting snob you can call her on making more catergories for crochet or they may just put you in!

I knit :eek sometimes but have never done a sweater and I know alot of knitters that havent. It does make you wonder why only sweaters are allowed.:think

As for crochet items it really does depend on wether or not the fair board has a crocheter. A friend of mine who does both crochet and knitting sat on our board for many years but the year she retired they drop both catagories, to say the least alot of women around here were angry so they put them back in the next year.

Contact your fair board and let them know how dissapointed you are, that is the best way to make change.

Our fair is the same way. 5 catagories for crochet, about 10 for knitting, and then about 25 for sewing projects.

Write letters to the fair board. Sometimes it helps.

In ours, all afghans are judged together. Which is not fair. Crib size should be different than full size, etc. But they won't change. I am entering two this year, so maybe I will get a first place.

This is the first year we are allowed two in each lot. Before, it was only one item allowed per lot, and it was sometimes hard to choose.

I keep hoping for a first but never getting it. The closest I've come in the afghan department is 2nd.

Good luck entering. Let's hear how you do.

:manyheart

Archived