tat-tat-tatting aaalong!

Shell

I went a lil silly with the dragonflies I think. Even did one in yarn.. why I don't know!!

th_DSC02436.jpg th_DSC02426.jpg th_DSC02425.jpg

Last night I also made a little chain of 12 stitch Josephine Knots (jk). I think it looks like a little spray of flowers or something, like those seen in bridal shops for bouquets and hair combs etc. I'd never done JK's before so was just playing

th_DSC02423.jpg

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a couple of edgings I have done http://shell-n-jessi.blogspot.com/2006/11/tatted-edgings.html the white is particularly easy. i kept stuffing up the stitch counts on the others!!

I like the white one! I think I could even do just that in a different color.

By the way, nice dragonflies! I like how delicate they look. I have a friend who collects all things with dragonflies. Thanks for the pattern!

Here's a pattern that I think would be fairly easy for a beginner with the possible exception of the beading. It's still on my to do list, so I'm not sure if it's as easy as it looks. You could skip the beads if you wanted, and it should still look very nice.

Tatted Necklace and Earrings at Be-stitched

That's very pretty and elegant. Do you think I can use beads to decrease the amount of tatting I have to do (like a couple of rows of beads separated and edged by tatting), or would that beading itself be tricky and hence too time-consuming for this beginner? I did see one free pattern like that somewhere...

you've got a ne member on the list~

i LOVE tatting :D

i dunno how i took hold of the knot flip, but i fell in love with tatting the first day i saw it.

i do have a universal booklet that talks about tatting and all sorts of needlework, and i'd like to share. i've got a small problem about getting my tatting pieces up the net currently, but that should be settled in a few days/hrs. meanwhile i could give you the title of my mum's "ancient" book ... which she bought in the 80's XDXD :

reader's digest:

COMPLETE GUIDE TO NEEDLEWORK

The Reader's Digest Association Inc.

Pleasantville, New York/Montreal

i dunno if it's still on sale, but i know all will appreciate it if i scan the illustrations and share it. I'll settle the technical problems as fast as i can and hopefully let you guys take a look.

tatting might be quite tricky at first as the knot flip is quite difficult to get hold of, but as soon as you learn it, there shouldn't be anything in your way.

by the way, i would like to ask the thread starter where she bought her tatting bobbins, because after i accidentally broke my one and only one (sob*), i've had problems in finding them ever since.

siya

Are you going to do a tatting Along?

Are they going to start off easy working up to difficult?

Are going to give out patterns for stitches to be practice?

I have everything and have done very little. Need all the help that can be given. If not, i cannot do this.

you've got a ne member on the list~

i LOVE tatting :D

i dunno how i took hold of the knot flip, but i fell in love with tatting the first day i saw it.

i do have a universal booklet that talks about tatting and all sorts of needlework, and i'd like to share. i've got a small problem about getting my tatting pieces up the net currently, but that should be settled in a few days/hrs. meanwhile i could give you the title of my mum's "ancient" book ... which she bought in the 80's XDXD :

reader's digest:

COMPLETE GUIDE TO NEEDLEWORK

The Reader's Digest Association Inc.

Pleasantville, New York/Montreal

i dunno if it's still on sale, but i know all will appreciate it if i scan the illustrations and share it. I'll settle the technical problems as fast as i can and hopefully let you guys take a look.

tatting might be quite tricky at first as the knot flip is quite difficult to get hold of, but as soon as you learn it, there shouldn't be anything in your way.

by the way, i would like to ask the thread starter where she bought her tatting bobbins, because after i accidentally broke my one and only one (sob*), i've had problems in finding them ever since.

siya

Siya, what a lovely offer. Unfortunately what would be breaching copyright and we'd get a rap over the knuckles from AmyS (the board owner). There are a lot of books out there and I know in my tatting links folder I have one where someone has created a list of the books available so later on today I will post that.

As for shuttles, I live in Western Australia and I had some luck in finding Clover plastic shuttles in a small craft store in Kalgoorlie, as well as the bulky ratchet bobbin shuttles by... oh I forget. But they're like the Boye ones I have seen online. I bought 2pk of Clover shuttles in Spotlight in Midland in Perth. The only trouble I had there was that the shuttles were no where near all the other crochet/knitting supplies, or even near the ratchet shuttles. I quite literally saw them at the last minute and bought 2pks. My wooden Georgia Seitz and my metal bobbin shuttle were Random Act of Kindness (RAOK) gifts from someone here at Crochetville. You can buy a couple of different ones on www.crochetaustralia.com.au If you aren't Australian then I think you'd be best off asking someone else for advice :yes I would say Joanns and Michaels but as a non-American it would be pure guessing. Whenever I see shuttles reasonably priced I buy them. I think I am scared that one day I wont get them at all!!

Are you going to do a tatting Along?

Are they going to start off easy working up to difficult?

Are going to give out patterns for stitches to be practice?

I have everything and have done very little. Need all the help that can be given. If not, i cannot do this.

We're all here to help. It would be nice if you selected your own patterns and projects as you know what level you are at, but we're definately here to help and support. If you would really like us to choose some patterns and things and work on together I guess those of us who want to do that can, and the others can continue doing what they're doing :)

I believe the general idea is to pick out what you want to work on, and the rest of us will be here to support you and help as needed. I'm sure there are several of us that could help you find some easier patterns to start out with if you need help with that as well.

This is exactly the idea :)

Siya,

You can probably find any tatting supplies you want here:

http://www.hhtatting.com/

I have a local shop that sometimes carries shuttles and bobbins, but that's not the case everywhere. Tatting isn't popular enough to get much space at most craft stores.

thanks krak,

the site is really helpful, coz the patterns are really splendid

but too bad, i'm still a teen, so i haven't a bank account, so i think i'll still have to try harder in looking for shuttles. when i asked the local needlework shop, they seemed to have no idea about what tatting was

siya

I'd love to learn how to tat. My mother gave me my great-great grandmothers shuttle and I'm dying to use it. I can't even figure out how to hold my hands, but I'm going to try the websites Shell suggested. Maybe it'll click in my head. My mother could figure it out a long time ago so she quit trying, but she really wants me to use this shuttle.

alexann we will help in any way we can, so give us a yell if you need :) it must be such a treat to have your grandmas shuttle. perhaps, if you learn you could even teach your mum. just imagine how happy she'd be if you made her even just a little tatted motif! to see that you'd achieved what she never could :U good luck and let us know how you're doing

Goodluck Purrbox! I know how that feels. My grandma who taught me to crochet wants me to teach her to tat. It's a very odd feeling!! No one I know locally can tat, even all the seniors who have their own little craft group! Best of luck with the teaching, I am sure your friend will have more luck this time as she seems to have a very understanding instructor. Who knows, while you're teaching one you may interest more :D

Shell Your dragon fly is beautiful! I love tatting! Haven't done it for a while though. I use to teach tatting at my local needlecraft store.

Unfortunately most people haven't got a clue what tatting is in the states. Most either have no idea what you're talking about or state that some relative used to Tat. I've had luck finding supplies at Hobby Lobby and Micheal's. I've also found supplies at a couple of Quilt Shops (unfortunately one was going out of business) and JoAnns was discontinuing some of the size 80 thread (which I wouldn't recommend to beginners). If you've got a Hobby Lobby near you that's probably your best bet, followed by Micheal's. The Clover Shuttles are inexpensive and good to start out with and I've seen them at both.

cool, i'll try and see if there are any in the neighbourhood. i'll try and look for clover shuttles too, right now i'm using the basic plastic shuttles.

i just glanced at the terrific tatted heart that was posted on the first post, and i considered trying to tat it myself, but unfortunately, it seems to contain quite a number of split rings, which in my knowledge, can only by made by needle tatting. right now i only know how to shuttle tat, which has quite a number of limitations, and the shuttles are nearly extinct. would it be suggested that i learn how to needle-tat (coz needles are much easier to get hold of, and there seems to be more flexibility)?

siya

cool, i'll try and see if there are any in the neighbourhood. i'll try and look for clover shuttles too, right now i'm using the basic plastic shuttles.

i just glanced at the terrific tatted heart that was posted on the first post, and i considered trying to tat it myself, but unfortunately, it seems to contain quite a number of split rings, which in my knowledge, can only by made by needle tatting. right now i only know how to shuttle tat, which has quite a number of limitations, and the shuttles are nearly extinct. would it be suggested that i learn how to needle-tat (coz needles are much easier to get hold of, and there seems to be more flexibility)?

siya

Siya, not sure where you got the idea that split rings are only done in needle tatting as it isn't the case. Split rings are very much done in shuttle tatting. Now, as I have not yet mastered split rings I can assure you the heart contains no split rings at all :) It was a really easy design! Just rings, chains and picots :yes

As for split rings in shuttle tatting there are a lot of tutorials online. I can see if I can find one for you. There are a lot of different stitches in tatting incluings split chains, josephine knots, onion rings, bead tatting, putting a bead in the middle of a split ring etc

Needle tatting is an option, but it is not necessary. It's sad you find needles easier to get old of! In all honesty I have never seen a tatting needle. I will go see if I can find some tutorials of different shuttle stitches for you.

Michelle

Shell Your dragon fly is beautiful! I love tatting! Haven't done it for a while though. I use to teach tatting at my local needlecraft store.

Thank you soooo much Pauline, this is very encouraging for me. I wish I had a needlework store, and that I had come across someone like you teaching something like tatting. I would have sat right down and watched even if you weren't teaching! I love to learn new things and it's beginning to look like the more obscure the more I enjoy learning it. We couldn't entice you back to tatting? :blush

The best place to find tutorials is the tatting index I mentioned once before. Scroll down to T for Techniques and you will find.... (wait for it!)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~frmuse/alison/index.html#PAB

Techniques

adding beads to split rings

adding new thread

beaded tatting

bicolor tatting

block tatting

blocking

Bruges crochet

Catherine wheel join

chains

s-chain and z-chain

single shuttle chain

split chain

climbing out of rings

clones knot

cluny leaves

hanging cluny leaves

split cluny leaves

continuous thread method

Creative tatting

design methods

directional tatting

double stitch

encapsulation

finishing work

hairpin lace

helpful hints

hiding ends

honeycomb stitch

joins

beaded join

continuous thread

folded join

lark's head picot join

shuttle lock join

split chain join

split ring join

tied double stitch join

Josephine knot

lock stitch

mignonette stitch

mounting tatting

needle tatting

lefthanded needle tatting

opening a closed ring

padded tatting

pearl tatting

picot guage

picots

beaded

Celtic knotted

cut picots

double picot

gathering picots

inverse picot

inward facing picots

Jan's method

knotted picots

long picots

mock picot

twisted picots

reading patterns

reverse work

rings

dimpled ring

floating ring

half moon split ring

interlocking rings

maltese ring

multicolored

onion rings

rings on rings

rings on split rings

self-closing mock ring

single shuttle split ring

split ring

square ring

set stitch

shoe lace trick

shuttle tatting

left-handed shuttle tatting

two shuttle tatting

spiral tatting

stiffening

stitch gauge

tatting on floral wire

tatting with a crochet hook

tatting with copper wire

tension

thread sizes

towel edgings

turning corners

turning work

using a cluny loom

using a picot gauge

weaver's knot

winding shuttles

why rings are not round

working with metallic threads

woven needle tatting

Hope this helps, and reinspires you :)

Siya, not sure where you got the idea that split rings are only done in needle tatting as it isn't the case. Split rings are very much done in shuttle tatting. Now, as I have not yet mastered split rings I can assure you the heart contains no split rings at all :) It was a really easy design! Just rings, chains and picots :yes

As for split rings in shuttle tatting there are a lot of tutorials online. I can see if I can find one for you. There are a lot of different stitches in tatting incluings split chains, josephine knots, onion rings, bead tatting, putting a bead in the middle of a split ring etc

Needle tatting is an option, but it is not necessary. It's sad you find needles easier to get old of! In all honesty I have never seen a tatting needle. I will go see if I can find some tutorials of different shuttle stitches for you.

Michelle

thankyou shell, i'll try to master it since it doesn't consist of split rings. i have successfully found a handful of shuttles from a very old lady in her nineties, which was very kind of her to sell one to me since she had difficulty in seeing the patterns. i can start tatting again :D

I just decided since I was preaching split rings I should try split rings, and voila! Easy peasy!! So long as I remember not to "flip" shuttle two! I really liked this site http://groups.msn.com/TheSocialShuttle/splitringtwocolors.msnw but also had open http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~nickeb/SplitRings.htm

I have a neat little row of 3 split rings. Maybe there's another dragonfly pattern about to start! :lol I still need to remake the larger dragonfly to "test" and write it out. Once done I will share that too. I am so glad you got another shuttle Siya. You should put it into your wishilist :)

theworm; did you try some of the links in the earlier posts about how to tat? there was one with videos too. I know you don't get the one-on-one and the ability to ask questions at the same time, but I was very wary of what links I offered there as I know how important good, clear instructions are. I think you should give them a looksee. I really wish I could help more!

Hi Shell,

Since yesterday I have dug out all my tatting and begun tatting again. Just what I needed to start more new projects. I am just playing around familiaising myself again with shuttle and thread. The thread didn't seem this fine when I last tatted. LOL

yay Pauline!! I tend to tat a lot with size 20 cottons. I like the more useful objects they create, but I've also been playing with size 70 tatting cotton and now that I have been tatting on and off for about a year I find I don't notice any difference but the size. I know when I first tried even a size 40 I was so perplexed by it. I've done a couple of things in size 10 but it really doesn't have the effect I like.

I mostly tat with size 20, but I have been experimenting with tatting and crochet in size 80 and .60 crochet hook (probably should have tried this back when my eyesight was still 20/20 not now that I need magnifing glasses just to see the thread) LOL

Once my tension is right again and I have the chains and that nice and tight up against the rings I will post some photos

Hi Arkansasgrits, I have not tried needle tatting. I have a few instructions on it but I found tatting really easy to learn. My China Painting teacher and I were talking one lesson about other hobbies and I mentioned I had always wanted to learn tatting. She just said the magic words " just think macrame"

I had done macrame as a kid so I went home got my shuttle and never looked back.

I have been experimenting with split rings and magnonette (sp?) tatting last night. I will post some pics latter today if I get a chance.

Archived