tat-tat-tatting aaalong!

Shell

ooo thank you for the hints and links, blossoms! I have been practicing and realised I had been so absorbed in trying to get this flick stitch right that I had not come on to the forum to check any progress... nearly fell off my chair when I was asked which method I use... you mean there is a name for the disasters I have been attempting??? Well of course there is, it's called frustration!!!!! Kidding... I want to learn tatting so that when I fly over to the USA later this year I will be able to sit and tat (can not take knitting needles or even crochet hooks on board but a shuttle without any points is fine... so once I get the flicky thing happening there's going to be no stopping me!!! I wish!!!

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thought I would revive this thread to suggest a book. i bought a book this week from the local joann's store called, "learn to tat by janette baker w/ interactive dvd". i LOVE it.

the video is clear and shows/explains the "flip" that I have seen several in previous posts say they had difficulty w/. i have only watched/worked w/ the first 3 "chapters" on the dvd, so far. I was using a thinner thread, so am thinking of going back to get another shuttle and using crochet thread to practice/learn w/ so i can see it better.

Sandy

funny.... My daughtersaw her pscyogolist the other day (for her hair pulling and adhd) and he saw her hats and asked if i crochet or knitted or tATTING IT. i SAID what is tatting lol.. he said I dunno i just know that There is somthing called tatting... but I'd never be able to tell the diffrence between the 3 lol.. I do not know how to do any of them or how to tell wich is wich ****.. I just can tell it's handmade ****!

he's such a funny man. was funny he knew about even tatting.. i dont even know what it is

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so first of all this thread is amazing. I too thought I was the only one left who is interested in tatting. wow.

so now I ask you,

does anyone know where I can find a really nice (beadless) bracelet pattern I can make to give someone??? ps. i don't shuttle I needle. tried to shuttle just couldn't do it. I've been searching soooooo many sites and I'm noticing bracelets are pretty hard to come by. Any ideas??

I had the chance to start teaching a group of ladies how to Tat a couple of weeks ago. It was a lot of fun. I started them out on chains with two different colors of size 10 crochet thread to help them see what they were doing. By the end of two hours they pretty much had the flip figured out. One needed to loosen up her stitches some, another needed to get the order figured out so that she actually ended up with double stitches instead of a random series of single stitches, and the last was doing well enough that she could have probably gone on to learn rings and picots right away if we'd had the time. I look forward to the next chance we have to work on it and hopefully there will be some additional ladies present.

Joy that is great. I taught a tatting class back in the 80's. I love teaching people these crafts, then I know they wont dissappear forever.

funny.... My daughtersaw her pscyogolist the other day (for her hair pulling and adhd) and he saw her hats and asked if i crochet or knitted or tATTING IT. i SAID what is tatting lol.. he said I dunno i just know that There is somthing called tatting... but I'd never be able to tell the diffrence between the 3 lol.. I do not know how to do any of them or how to tell wich is wich ****.. I just can tell it's handmade ****!

he's such a funny man. was funny he knew about even tatting.. i dont even know what it is

I had the same thing happen when I was visiting the doctors surgery a few months ago. He asked me if I was tatting, I happened to be crocheting but I was amazed he even new the term tatting. When I asked he said he didn't know what tatting was just had heard the term. :lol

Ok, so first of all this thread is amazing. I too thought I was the only one left who is interested in tatting. wow.

so now I ask you,

does anyone know where I can find a really nice (beadless) bracelet pattern I can make to give someone??? ps. i don't shuttle I needle. tried to shuttle just couldn't do it. I've been searching soooooo many sites and I'm noticing bracelets are pretty hard to come by. Any ideas??

pat

Hi Cabbagepatch Kris,

Welcome to the group. I haven't seen any patterns for a bracelet, but you could work an edging to the right length and then work a loop fastener. I have seen patterns for serviette rings. You could just make them larger maybe?:think

so now I ask you,

You could make a bracelet using the Josephine st ( using the first half of the st for a few sts then alternate with the second half of the st ) This is really easy using a tatting needle.And you can make it any length you like :)

Or you can use the split ring st,again using the needle.

• 1 month later...

Archived